Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are excellent oils. I have real world experience with the SSO line of oils. My Hyundai went 300,000 miles (535,000km) on SSO without and noticeable oil consumption. It would still be going if a camshaft hadn't snapped from a forging defect.

If you check out the link in my Signature you can see the UOA I did on the 5w20 oil in my Journey. It looks virtually untouched.

cheers3.gif

Both are good oils. I'd use the PUP. I've learned to grab it when Walmart has it in stock and load up. I buy 2 or more jugs at a time and get it shipped free. Taking advantage of the frequent Pennzoil rebates the price is less than some of the cheaper dino oils, often under $15 a jug. Tough to beat at that price. The normal price w/o rebates is just under $25 for 5 quart jugs. I use 5W30, but IIRC both are the same price.

Typically you can get up to $10 back on up to 5 quarts of PUP through the rebate program. I use PUP because I can always get it cheaper than Amsoil or Redline and it’s a great oil.

I interpret your post as you trying to justify not using Amsoil. Am I right? You really want to use Amsoil but want some of us to give you compelling info to help convince you to use PUP. Either oil would be perfectly fine. PUP will always be cheaper so if price is the major factor it will always be better to go in Walmart and pick it us as most of us go there many times during the week. Both are high quality oils that your engine will love.

I wouldn't buy the PUP because I like going to my Amsoil dealer's store and visiting with him and helping make his business successful. And I have had tremendous success with Amsoil as you can see in my signature. PUP may be better but when we get to these levels of quality, I don't believe it makes any real difference. Oh, and for the difference in price? Really? $15 more per oil change every 6 months? Really? I literally "pee" that much Starbucks away every week.

Let me give you my example of saving money on oil. I was one of those guys that went to all the OReillys in my area and bought all the Havoline PDS 10w30 and 5w30 they had for $10/5 qt jug. I had over 20 of those jugs. I drove all over the area and even bought 2 jugs when I was on vacation. It sort of became an addiction, a treasure hunt of sorts. I made one oil change with the Havoline (it is a great oil as well) and was so happy at the money I had saved. I told my wife I wouldn't be buying any oil again for years. As the days came and went, I couldn't take it. I just imagined my poor engine being abused by my lack of faithfulness. All these 100's of 1000's of miles. All those years... After 1000 miles on the Havoline, I drained the Havoline and put Amsoil back in. I gave ALL the Havoline to my backyard mechanic friend and he was so happy. SO HAPPY!

Bottom line, buying a less expensive oil to save money has never worked for me. I always end up with the oil I "want." Regardless of price.

We all have the option to spend our money the way we want. I'd pick the PUP for $22.47 a five quart jug and apply for their rebate. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Gebo, I get the talk myself out of it part, Amsoil did that to me when they put 4000 ppm Ca into thier mix.... no need for all that , plus thier Saps was too high for my liking too . Just have to wait and see what’s up with thier new formulas. I have been a Amsoil customer since 1996 besides

Last edited:
Assuming I had a car that needed specs that PUP 5w-20 carries, and assuming these are the only two options...

If it were still under warranty, I'd use PUP 5w-20.

If not, the next questions would be:

1. Is it particularly tough, because of either the engine itself or how I use it?
2. Am I looking to stretch my OCIs out?

If the answer to both questions were "no", then I'd still use PUP 5w-20. If either question got a "yes", I'd probably try Amsoil SS 5w-20. Or an Amsoil 0w-20 for that matter.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I interpret your post as you trying to justify not using Amsoil. Am I right? You really want to use Amsoil but want some of us to give you compelling info to help convince you to use PUP. Either oil would be perfectly fine. PUP will always be cheaper so if price is the major factor it will always be better to go in Walmart and pick it us as most of us go there many times during the week. Both are high quality oils that your engine will love.

I wouldn't buy the PUP because I like going to my Amsoil dealer's store and visiting with him and helping make his business successful. And I have had tremendous success with Amsoil as you can see in my signature. PUP may be better but when we get to these levels of quality, I don't believe it makes any real difference. Oh, and for the difference in price? Really? $15 more per oil change every 6 months? Really? I literally "pee" that much Starbucks away every week.

Let me give you my example of saving money on oil. I was one of those guys that went to all the OReillys in my area and bought all the Havoline PDS 10w30 and 5w30 they had for $10/5 qt jug. I had over 20 of those jugs. I drove all over the area and even bought 2 jugs when I was on vacation. It sort of became an addiction, a treasure hunt of sorts. I made one oil change with the Havoline (it is a great oil as well) and was so happy at the money I had saved. I told my wife I wouldn't be buying any oil again for years. As the days came and went, I couldn't take it. I just imagined my poor engine being abused by my lack of faithfulness. All these 100's of 1000's of miles. All those years... After 1000 miles on the Havoline, I drained the Havoline and put Amsoil back in. I gave ALL the Havoline to my backyard mechanic friend and he was so happy. SO HAPPY!

Bottom line, buying a less expensive oil to save money has never worked for me. I always end up with the oil I "want." Regardless of price.

I agree with most of what you said. However saving money is not the case for me, it's a nice perk. I buy what 'I' see value in, much like you. Spending another $15 or $30 a year on oil isn't going to matter to me either, but if I can save a few $$ in the process why not? I'm driving a gas guzzling, expensive, impractical, waste of money vehicle by some people's standards. Not because I needed it, because I wanted it. That's what makes this country great! Amsoil is not something that appeals enough to me to spend my money on it, and I see no benefit in doing so, been there done that. It is a fine product, no doubt, so is PUP.

OP buy what you want, if saving money is an issue go with something you can grab off the shelf at WMT.

We are all entitled to have our own opinions , I was really looking for elements and Saps numbers to be a factor in this tread ... Money is not or ever was, its for a 2016 Ford F-150 , 5.0

For me it'd depend on the ride:

Plebeian car: Camry, Accord, 4Runner, Malibu...PUP all the way...amazing oil for price
Patrician car: MB, Bimmer, Lexus...Amsoil or RL

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain

Plebeian car: Camry, Accord, 4Runner, Malibu...PUP all the way...amazing oil for price

Are you talking Plebeian and Patrician in the Republic or Empire?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain

So what oil for a Lexus ES 350 with the same engine as used in a V6 Camry. Half and half?

Hey Wick,

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum motor oil keeps pistons up to 25% cleaner than our next closest competitor, and it delivers complete protection without compromise. You can purchase online at Walmart.com or Amazon.com.

Thanks,
Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back