Ever gotten parts from a auto salvage yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have gotten some parts from a yard including interior parts, a radiator fan assembly and tire rim.

Have you used one and what kind of parts?

radiators
power steering pumps
steering racks
alternators (back when I was a Uni Student)
Steel Crank
186 engine (to pu said crank in)
headers
triple S.U. carbys
fuel tanks
heater core assemblies
mirrors and trim
mag wheels
grille assembly
miscelaneous lights and fitting

Often it's our first stop for some parts. In NZ some dismantlers don't even have a yard here, cars are sourced and dismantled in Japan and sent back here. Engines, suspn and driveline, panels, half cuts and quarter cuts. For the DIY public, Pick A Part is popular...take what you want off cars in the yard, pay at the checkout.

Over here we are not allowed to remove our own parts. Health and safety and insurance issues. The joys of living in a nanny State!.
You can buy almost any car part. However a lot of yard refuse to sell brake parts to the public, or only if the customer sign a disclaimer that they are only fit for use as cores for overhaul.
They do a fairly brisk trade in used tire though. Particularly to owners of old upscale cars who can't really afford them.

Claud.

Many times...salvage yards and cars bought for parts. (I stripped two parts cars rebuilding my Cadillac.)

Yes. Several yrs ago I sourced a replacement oil sump pan for 2008 Ford Escape 2.3L at a local bone yard. It was not a u-pull yard so it was easy.

Back in the 1970s I used to get parts from the bone yard but then I realized that junk is what I am pulling out of my car, why do I want to put junk back in? It's Hit & Miss at best!

My experience with salvage yard parts is less than stellar. Purchased a low mile transmission a while back, and there was nothing wrong with the trans until they pulled it. Where they let it drop on the ground, the weight of the torque converter broke the pump housing. After install, there was a huge leak. They failed to cover the damage, and were a bunch of belligerent jerks when I asked for a new pump housing.

Same goes for my S2000 transmission. I break them due to the turbo setup and excessive torque. The replacement transmission whines badly. It was "injured" in the accident apparently. No warranty what so ever.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
My experience with salvage yard parts is less than stellar. Purchased a low mile transmission a while back, and there was nothing wrong with the trans until they pulled it. Where they let it drop on the ground, the weight of the torque converter broke the pump housing. After install, there was a huge leak. They failed to cover the damage, and were a bunch of belligerent jerks when I asked for a new pump housing.

Same goes for my S2000 transmission. I break them due to the turbo setup and excessive torque. The replacement transmission whines badly. It was "injured" in the accident apparently. No warranty what so ever.

My experience with used transmissions is most places offer no warranty(cheapest), some warranty or full warranty at quite an extra cost. It seems you played the odds and lost. Maybe next time get it in writing upfront what options are there for recourse.

Sorry about getting burned twice, I’d expect a likely 1 to 3 odds transmission is bad.

Bought a rear axle and a power steering pump bracket at one yard. They pulled the parts for me. I bought front seats and some miscellaneous interior trim parts at a pull-it-yourself yard.

I was going to buy an airbox from a junkyard to replace the damaged one on my CR-V, but all of the ones I found were in just as poor shape as mine. The screws that hold the two halves together rust out and break off. It's apparently a very common problem. So, I gave up on trying to find a used one. A new one from Honda would've cost over $160 (I searched all over online and that was the best price I could find). Instead, I bought an aftermarket "ram air" intake for $112.

Also, not quite the same thing, but I bought a whole bunch of parts from a guy on Craigslist who was parting out a car. I bought a transfer case, front seats, side mirrors, steering column, airbag computer, and a few other things. I'm also now on the other side of that business, parting out my own car.

Just body and interior parts for me. Roof rail cross bars, seats, doors, mirrors. And actual scrap, I needed some short pieces of angle iron and they just gave it to me. Maybe tires this year, I need to find some winters for the CRV.

I like them for body parts and interior parts. Perfect for trim pieces here and there where it'd be a pain to look up online, if you can even find them.
Bought an alternator for Liberty from one. It was either a questionable aftermarket one for $100, or a used OEM one with 50k miles for $50. Easy sell.

Last edited:
Steering box '70 Mercury
Door window glass '77 Toyota Celica
1 Hood '77 Toyota Celica
2 Fenders '77 Toyota Celica, '66 Chrysler Newport
Many steel wheels
2 front seats
Cylinder head '64 Corvair
Exhaust manifold '70 Toyota Corona. Many thanks to the dog's dirt person who left that mounted tire on the FDR on that dark rainy night.
A knob or two
Fender liner '02 Saab 9-5
Rear spoiler '02 Saab 9-3
several fog lights Saabs
Side ground effect '02 Saab 9-3
Front air dam, fender liner '99 Saab 9-5
Track bar '85 Chrysler LeBaron
Dipstick, power steering pump '02 Volvo V70
Yaw sensor (had to call ahead 3 times as the part is not listed on "junkyard software" so the lunkheads couldn't immediately accept the idea that yaw sensors exist) '05 Volvo XC-90

So "yes" is the answer to your question. Kira

I spent my summer vacations in hs pulling parts. Back when you could go to picapart and score good stuff. 186 chevy heads,428 ford engines complete,high compression 429 fords,413 and 440 mopars and vega torque converters are just a few of the scores we found back then.

In my fleet:

F-350 - Engine (it's a little knock, smoky but works). Soon to be transmission

Focus - Rear swaybar, winter wheels

Cherokee - Front Axle assembly (original differential blew up), driveshafts, axle shafts, electric fan, trim panels, oil pressure sensor

I tried a junkyard radiator in my wrangler's short tenure but it leaked worse than what was on there.

I love visiting scrap yards , I just got a steering rack for one of my 2009 Sonatas for $89. Car had only 37k miles on the rack. Huyndia dealer ask $800+ for a new rack.

DVD player for 06 Odyssey for $50 from local yard; since it's proprietary and not made any more everybody on eBay wants $300+ for a 7-10 year old DVD unit
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back