Why Are We Still Putting Ethanol in Gasoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it about time to remove the corn out of our gasoline and feed it to the pigs and cows like it was designed to be used? If we are now exporting oil and knowing that ethanol enriched gasoline hurts gas mileage why isn't it being removed?

These corn growers must have some really persuasive lobbyists. I shouldn't have watched the DEA piece on 60 minutes last night.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Isn't it about time to remove the corn out of our gasoline and feed it to the pigs and cows like it was designed to be used?

I don't know what's worse... feeding it to our cars or feeding it to the animals we eat.
smile.gif

I like E-10 in gas in the winter. With that said I have never had an E-10 issue in the last 15-20 years.

Subsidy for the corn growers & Agra Business .

Are we exporting more oil than we import ?

Wyr
God bless

Originally Posted By: tig1
I like E-10 in gas in the winter. With that said I have never had an E-10 issue in the last 15-20 years.

Acting as it's own drygas?

junk science used by political hacks to justify favoring their donors. the most recent example is political hacks telling us that our owner's manual references to alcohol levels should be ignored. "Hey, lets please the corporate "farmers" by raising the alcohol level to 15 % no matter what Toyota (for example) says".

I dont mind ethanol in gas.. just wish we had normally priced ethanol free options..

so its 20C more for E0 than E10...

I actually like ethanol in the winter in my car.. and e85 is a heck of a fuel to tune a sports car for... but I want free choice.

E0 87 would be great for my old tractors.

We do have E0 90octane rec. fuel here but its $3.89 a gallon vs $2.39 for 89octane e10

I used to run non Ethanol blends until it was no longer available and gas prices went crazy. I consistently got better mileage without it.

I think with modern engine controls it's no longer needed if it was ever needed at all.

I think now because we have this elephant in the room it's going to be too hard to get rid of it.
frown.gif

When I was a new mechanic starting out at a Honda dealer in the mid 90's, I dealt with fuel line freeze. It was usually a vehicle someone traded in that often didn't have much gas in the tank.
Gas didn't contain ethanol in Ohio at the time.
But I would prefer if all gas contained no ethanol. There are pros and cons, sure, but a vehicle running on the same octane will get better gas mileage on a fuel containing no ethanol
vs one that does.
As far as meat goes, grass fed beef taste better than grain fed beef imo. Beef would surely cost more if it was all grass fed. There are pros and cons to most everything.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Subsidy for the corn growers & Agra Business .

Are we exporting more oil than we import ?

Wyr
God bless

No

To me there should be a choice. Have nonethanol fuel at the pump as well as ethanol blended.

Then one can decide what to use in their vehicle.

I personally like E85. Been running it in my 2002 Silverado and other vehicles since it came available here 3 years ago. No issues and the price break is nice. I also like the fact that it burns cleaner which = cleaner combustion chamber. Now the only issue is with DI engines that build up on the back side of the valves to deal with.

With that said I have never had an E-10 issue in the last 15-20 years.

Except for losing 3% of your mileage the past 15-20 years?
Assuming 20,000 miles per year, that would be 400,000 miles. The 3% loss is worth 12,000 miles or about 600 gallons of extra fuel used at 20mpg.
If its my money, I would have a problem with that.
Also, take that math to the millions of E10 used daily and the numbers get huge in a hurry.

I never had a problem with fuel line freezing in the winter using gas without ethanol up here in the great white north. Even in February where it can be sub zero for weeks at a time.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
junk science used by political hacks to justify favoring their donors. the most recent example is political hacks telling us that our owner's manual references to alcohol levels should be ignored. "Hey, lets please the corporate "farmers" by raising the alcohol level to 15 % no matter what Toyota (for example) says".

thumbsup2.gif

In addition, there should be no more taxpayer subsidies.

Last edited:
Worse … Corn never employed irrigation here before this E10 business … now miles of corn following rivers near the estuary and a cute little chemical advertising sign every quater mile …

Corn is bad for cars and cows. It interferrs with the plumbing and processing. It's good for business and that's what matters. If somewhere at the beginning of the process the money is made whatever happens downstream is just collateral damage. They spend a lot of time and effort explaining how they are taking care of you.

If you don't find somewhere else besides chain store grocers for your meat and veggies you're part of the process. For hunters we front expense money and get healthy meat in return. From the local ranchers we get grass fed meat that is not contaminated with drugs and whatever else the larger producers use. It's the same with vegies. We shop local farmers, not the stores.

In the short run we sometimes pay more and spend more time shopping. In the long run it's a screaming good deal.

Following this kind of routine several neighbors have commented that they fell better. One is losing a lot of weight and a couple of them are off meds and doing better. Good health is breaking out. They watched me fighting cancer and started asking questions and went with us on our shopping trips to lean how all this works.

By the way, this Halloween is a big deal for me. It marks 9 years since my orginal diagnosis of pancreatic cancer and the news that I'd soon be dead. I turned down the chemotherapy and never looked back. It's been a tough fight and I've learned a lot about health, healthcare, wellness and myself. Be very wary of modern healthcare for chronic/systemic problems including cancer, blood pressure, cholsterol and autoimmune disorders. Let your doctor worry about disease and spend your efforts on being healthy and don't let him/her sell you something you don't need. I'm living proof that the healthcare system sells a lot of junk that just plain does not work in your interest.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
To help farmers and decrease oil use. But we should use something like switchgrass instead.
There are suggestions that the amount of petro products used to power the farming equipment and make the fertilizer used
to grow corn for gas exceeds the amount of oil saved..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back