Hip replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be having my right hip replaced in a month or so. Anyone here has personal experience they can share? I live alone so that means a rehab center for sure. How longs in a rehab center, how long before I can lead a normal life and drive? Ed

Guy on my bowling team got a hip replacement at 58. My mom got one around 70. I don't remember them being sidelined for long. Maybe 2 weeks? Good luck!

A co worker had one done about 5 years ago. He was off work for about 6 weeks. The recovery might have been quicker if he was not somewhat over weight.

They are becoming quite common procedures. Keep us posted.
Good Luck

Last edited:
My aunt had hers done not that long ago. She was off her feet for 3 weeks but trying to walk during that time for circulation. She had minimal pain. It's pretty routine now and they have it down to a science from what she said.

All the best!
cheers3.gif

Find out about the hospital that is performing the operation. Good hospitals have adopted a system where a number of patients have their surgeries done the same day. The hospital I worked at called it joint camp. You would be with other hip replacement patients, rehab with them and share your aches and pains. Patients liked it. They will get you up on your feet very soon after the procedure. That may be surprising to you.

It is a common procedure now and will give you some new freedom

I agree with the above posters. My mom had the procedure done a few months ago, and within a couple of weeks she was on her feet again, a few weeks after that, no more cane. They told her that it is no longer the complicated procedure that it once was, and I think that is true.

My cousins wife had both done. One, than a month later the other. She joked about there being a one inch difference in the length of the side that was done the first month compared to the side that was not done. And she joked about having to get the other side done so both legs would be the same length.

I do not know if the one inch difference in the leg that was done first was longer or shorter, but she said that after both were done both legs were the same length.

Part of her joke was that now she walks around in circles because one leg is longer than the other.

My mother had one done. She was moving same day, walking within a day (with a walker), and home from rehab in a few days. She didn't want to be in the rehab, so the mental portion is a lot of it. I wouldn't expect to be gardening and driving the next week, and since you live alone, rehab may be a prudent place to "camp out".

Hips are much easier than knees says my DPT wife. You want to be getting range of motion and bearing weight soon - waiting too long will make regaining anger more difficult later.

It's all about YOUR mentality going in, and how capable you are going in to care for yourself coming out. If you're in good health, light weight for your size, healthy, and have good balance and range of motion, you should be able to prove to the pt and ot that you're capable of leaving.

Good luck!

Had hip done about 3 years ago. I was 71 piece of cake. Was on a walker 2 weeks. Cane about 4 weeks.

What really helps is a lift chair. My wife is 5'1" and I am 6'4" she went out the first day and got one.

If you live alone you will need a Re-hab place for a week or two.

40ford

Look into resurfacing first. Quick recover and can get hip replacement 20 years later. Dr Su at Hosp. for Special Surgery NYC

Definitely make sure you need it. Some docs see your insurance and go big or go home.

It happens more often than you think. They pull credit reports to assess "treatments"

How are they going to do it? The old fashioned way is to do it on the outside of your leg more toward your butt cheek. The new way is going from the front, my grandmother had it the new way done last year. It’s supposed to be less invasive.

She’s had issues, not because of the surgery but because her health and mobility issues with a lot of arthritis. My grandpa has had 3 hip replacements doing the old style.

Our physician at my hospital did what they called a "jiffy" hip. Anterior entry which made the procedure much less invasive and greatly sped up healing time. Our patients were walking within an 1.5 hr time after leaving the PACU. Most discharged home the next day. PT at home or at the PT center was for two weeks usually. Unless a patient had a complicated history or circumstance they really did extremely well.

One thing of note for you all..... Find a way if possible to find out from the Infectious Disease doctors which orthopedic physicians had the highest rate of post procedure infections. And I will say most assuredly our hospital had two orthopedic surgeons who routinely had post op infections. I overheard one night Dr. K start cussing about the same two doctors having post op infections. I looked over at him and told him... I know. And I agree 100%. Doing this could help your loved ones or yourself keep from having a major post operative infection. It could also save someone's life....

My wife has a hip replacement about 5 years ago. She couldn't drive (her licence was suspended unti her doctor signed has as fit again) for six weeks. he is a cab driver so that meant she couldn't work.
The medical team encouraged her to get mobile as soon as she could, using a sensible exercise regime. art of her problem was very weak muscles in the affected leg, because she was in pain every time she moved the hip joint for a long time prior to the replacement.

Claud.

My mom had one replaced less than a year ago. My family talked to the surgeon and the assistant surgeon and the assistant said that the old hip was one of the worst ones that he had seen in 40 years. They had her up and going really soon after the surgery and she was dismissed a couple of days later. She had a few rounds of rehab and all is now well. She is 89, drives, quilts with her lady friends and now takes no medication. She is pain-free.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I will be having my right hip replaced in a month or so. Anyone here has personal experience they can share? I live alone so that means a rehab center for sure. How longs in a rehab center, how long before I can lead a normal life and drive? Ed

Mrs MolaKule had one at about the same age and was back at work in 5 weeks.

Losing weight and doing rehab is the fastest route to recovery.

I just turned 50, my ortho doc is trying to get me as close to 60 as he can before he starts replacing my knees and right hip because he doesn't want me to need re-replacements when I'm 85 (I already told him with my family's cardiac history it's HIGHLY improbable that I'll see 85)so I'm dealing with constant discomfort that ranges into pain on a frequent basis.

I've also been told that knees are worse than hips, which seems counterintuitive to me, but it is what it is. One of the bigshots at work had a hip replaced recently, didn't even spend the night in the hospital...early morning surgery, headed home by late evening and on his feet the same day. Back at work part time in 2 weeks. He's a tough old bugger though.

I had total replacement of left hip in 2010 at 53 years old. Mine was due to Avascular necrosis which means it deteriorated from the inside out. I had only an "eggshell" left according to the doctor. All is well so far although I am aware something is "different" on that side and the muscles get a little sore sometimes.
I was back to light duty at work after 2 weeks, but about a year before it really felt healed.

Which one are you having? Full or partial?

My dad had a partial hip replacement at 51 years old, due to playing lots of sports. My understanding is the recovery process is a bit longer than a full replacement, but it allows more activity options. I guess the partial is what a lot of athletes do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back