2nd to 3rd gear shudder 07 explorer v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... just recently picked up a used explorer with 150k on it, flushed all the fluids except the trans wich was a pan drop and fill, the shudder us much less significant now as comared to the old fluid being in there..... but still noticeable.
I was thinking of putting Lucas stop slip in there as Ive had good success with that product before. Any thoughts?

You probably only get 25-30% out of a trans that way; I try at least another drain and fill before I went to an additive.
If I was to try an additive, it would be Lubeguard Red

Well, it's not really slipping, it's shuddering! I would suggest changing the ATF again as you only drained out about 1/3 of the fluid with a pan drop. Do you know if the Torque Converter(on FORD's) has it's own drain plug? Maybe you can get a bit more out with another pad drop & a Tq Conv drain? Just my thoughts before putting in an additive.

Others will chime in with more info.

Originally Posted By: Jake54
So... just recently picked up a used explorer with 150k on it, flushed all the fluids except the trans wich was a pan drop and fill, the shudder us much less significant now as comared to the old fluid being in there..... but still noticeable.
I was thinking of putting Lucas stop slip in there as Ive had good success with that product before. Any thoughts?
I had a similar shudder in a 94 T Bird. I think they replaced the torque converter. The shudder would happen when the converter was locking up.

Jake, do at least one more D&F... and for Pete's sake DON'T use Lucas! If you change the fluid once or twice more and the shudder is still there, use one tube of the Lubegard shudder fix.

What tranny fluid did you replace it with?

I would do the transmission flush into a bucket procedure.

You basically pull the one trans cooler line(input to cooler)
put it in a bucket(slip tight fitting tubing over it if necessary)
Start car for a few seconds until an you get air quickly shut off and refill transmission
Do this until aprox the capacity of the transmission +1-2quarts is in the bucket.

This is best done with a helper in the car.. so you can focus on not making a mess.

top off with normal fluid and maybe a bottle of lubeguard red..

just remember "never lucas anything"

Agree with Colt45ws, you're not replacing enough with a pan drop. What you did replace is diluted and fouled with old fluid. So makes sense slipping is only a little bit better. If you do some googling you can probably find the correct procedure for a transmission line exchange at the radiator, which is actually easier than a pan drop. Some things I notice with AWD, the transfer case can mimic shuddering if something is awry. In my case using the wrong fluid that was too thin for Dex III (Maxlife). Also, Lubegard Red is no joke. A quart of that added during the exchange may really help.

Rand, we were thinking the same thing at the same time. But you type faster
laugh.gif

I'm not familiar with an '07, but does it have the luxury of a pan drain plug and a dipstick? Like said, I'd swap out more ATF and see how it goes. Hopefully you get lucky. Unfortunately at this age/mileage, if no maintenance was done on the AT, this may be how she's going to be until the end.

History? Mine lasted to almost 100,000 miles before a total rebuild. Very common on these. The shop that did it put in a new converter and lubgard red.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
Originally Posted By: Jake54
I had a similar shudder in a 94 T Bird. I think they replaced the torque converter. The shudder would happen when the converter was locking up.

I also had the shudder in my 94 T-Bird. Car was 200 miles shy of being out of warranty. Ford fixed torque converter, no problem.

Do another drain and fill. You should also get the Dorman transmission pan, which includes a drain plug, so that future ATF changes will be much easier, so you can do them as often as you like
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Do another drain and fill. You should also get the Dorman transmission pan, which includes a drain plug, so that future ATF changes will be much easier, so you can do them as often as you like
smile.gif

Won't help on these. Getting the fluid out is easy. Getting back in is the hard part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back