volvo ATF change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI:
1992 Volvo 240 Aisin Warner AW 70? 4 w/od. Should have small drain plug in bottom. Probably over225k miles, perhaps never changed. Need to change soon. Thinking quickest way is just drain and fill, change filter, flush, etc. in spring? Thoughts? Also wondering if magnetic plug exists? Looks short, few threads,haven't found specs yet. Planning Valvoline synthetic HM Dexron III? WM $18? 1 gallon. Thanks.

A vehicle with that many miles, I'd be reluctant to change the ATF for the first time. If so, I'd do it slowly. For example, several drain & fills. Then drop the pan and change the filter/screen(as you say) in the Spring. However, flushing makes me nervous. Others will chime in with more information.

Please check the fluid requirements for that transmission. If specification #3309, Toyota T-IV meets specification. Mobil 3309 can be sourced on Amazon for ~ $72 for a case of 12 quarts. Look at IPD or FCP for Volvo parts. Drain and fills with driving between D&F. If like my two Volvo's, there is not a serviceable filter. My drain plugs are magnetic. Replace the crush washer and torque to spec.

I believe the older volvos are Dex III. Definitely change it. I'm also of the multiple D/Fs instead of a single flush. Hopefully there's a pan and filter to change out in this one.

-m

I would change out slowly... Not a complete flush/fill right away.
27.gif

I'd never flush a tranny... you may as well just be flushing the money down the c.rapper for a trans rebuild shortly thereafter.

My brother's been a mechanic for 20 years now and estimates probably half of all tranny flushes over 100k the shop he works for results in trans rebuilds within 6 months afterwards. Drain and fill is the most gentle, and should not cause issues. I'd D&F, drive it for about 1k miles, and do it again.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I'd never flush a tranny... you may as well just be flushing the money down the c.rapper for a trans rebuild shortly thereafter.

My brother's been a mechanic for 20 years now and estimates probably half of all tranny flushes over 100k the shop he works for results in trans rebuilds within 6 months afterwards. Drain and fill is the most gentle, and should not cause issues. I'd D&F, drive it for about 1k miles, and do it again.

The damage is already done, not draining it puts you on timer of who knows when it will fail anyway. By flushing it if it truly is that damaged and it does cause a problem then at least you know it needs a repair versus it leaving on the side of the road at some point unannounced.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

My brother's been a mechanic for 20 years now and estimates probably half of all tranny flushes over 100k the shop he works for results in trans rebuilds within 6 months afterwards..

Wow ..... that's real bad.
Yeah, D&F at slow pace .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back