Vertical vs Horizontal Mounting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vertical sucks on my 13 WRX and now 17' SS 1LE both have vertical oil filters that screw from the bottom so once you loosen it it spills oil all over the filter.

My G35 had one at an angle to horizontal that was easy as heck to change without making a mess.

I've had good and bad horizontal ones. Some of my Ford examples would drip all over me no matter what I did. Like thescreensavers's G35, the G37 is canted just so it doesn't make a mess at all. The small block Chevy engines had vertical filters, dome down, but they were fairly well behaved, with a little caution. I'm not too concerned about orientation, provided it's not totally stupid, just as long as the filter is easily accessible without contorting oneself and without putting oneself in the path of spills, and keeping most hardware out of the path of oil spills.

Mine goes on between horizontal and vertical.
laugh.gif

If one way was best they would all be the same. Filters are where they are on any given engine because of design, servicing access, and production costs and considerations.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Vertical is a lot easier and cleaner to change.
No oil filter is easier to change than the one on a Subaru FB engine.

Check out 1980's Mazda RX7s, simular access on top of the engine.

How do you manage oil spilling out of the filter?

Thanks for the responses. I was mainly referring to spin-on
transmission filters where space won't allow for upright mounting.

If the filter is mounted sideways, then the magnet should be
placed on the downward 'side' of the filter...?

Originally Posted By: TheLoneRanger
I've seen spin-on filters mounted both ways. Which
way is best or does it matter?

Well my thinking is if your filters ADBV is in the up position and it would leak it isn't going to leak up. If its like a Subaru with the ADBV down it drains the whole filter. Mounted side ways it could still drain most of the filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back