Metal shavings in oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across this post on Toyota Highlander forums. It was my understanding that blocks and parts are washed from machining and even new engines should not have any shavings visible to the naked eye. Is this normal?
Didn't KIA/Hyundai have extended engine warranties due to this?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/333-highlander-3rd-generation-2014/1536930-first-oil-change.html

0f278623e5d2ed90cd2f118acf05fbf4.jpg

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Hacksaw?

It's all collected in the deep end of the pleats, so looks to be debris that was in the engine. I've never found anything close to that in the oil filters on the first oil change after break-in. That engine was either left really dirty from manufacturing, or has on on going problem.

My FIL just bought a new Caravan and we changed the oil in the first 1,000km (600 Miles) and it had all sorts of flakes in the filter. Then we changed it again at 6,000km (3500 miles) and it has a couple flakes. Since then none. It uses a cartridge filter.

Last edited:
I've seen flakes like the big one on the left and consider it normal. A few like that is ok. Blocks are washed to get the sand out. They're not sterilized clean. Always some junk to find on the first filter.

You seem to have a few too many. Also on the right, those blackish ones concern me. Too small and crunchy looking. Somebody had a nice test drive if new!

If it's not new or they don't go away, well hopefully there's a warranty. But I doubt they'll do anything unless it's making horrible noises.

I had a shaving bigger than a pencil lead in a B-S mower with no filter get stuck on a [diy fab] magnet. Another year went by. You'd be surprised how much good stuff floats around in your sump, hence the filter.

For a new or rebuilt engine, yes this is normal. I would expect to find tiny shavings in the filter for the first several thousand miles but very rarely thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back