SAE 10W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi -- I need sae 10w oil for the blower gears on my 1978 MC8. (old greyhound, 8V71) So far I am only finding non-detergent 10w and big pails of 10W. I am curious if there is a way to add detergents to the oil or i sthat a good idea? Is there any kind of substitute for 10W? I think if I was down in the US I wouldn't have any trouble finding quarts or gallons of 10W. Am I wrong? Places like Lordco up here don't seem to be interested in finding out if they can order smaller amounts of the oil. I haven't spent a day phoning around Vancouver yet but may have to do that. Thanks for comments and info.
C

Genuine GM Fluid 12345982 Supercharger oil -4oz

It's the only supercharger oil I've ever used. Couldn't tell you the viscosity or whether or not it's a detergent oil, but it's never failed me.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were a 10w, it's pretty thin.

I would call a Mobil distributor and get Mobil SHC 624. It's an industrial ISO 32 gear oil which is at the upper part of the SAE 10 viscosity range. Call Mobil or one of the other major oil companies, tell them what your application is and they'll make a reccomendation.

Don't mess around trying to blend additives or dilute higher viscoity oil.

Aside from the fine suggestions already posted, contact Wakefield Canada. Some of the most obscure Castrol products are available to retailers who want them, and they might be able to help you out.

For a 10w replacement I would use 10w30 PP or something like that. It's previously posted noack suggested it is a monograde, or dang near close. I'd be inclined to use atf... What does it have in there for bearings? What is being lubed, just depends on comstruction/environment.

Last edited:
You don't need a detergent oil for purely gear lube. Detergents are for internal combustion engines to combat the effects of blow by. That's why oils for diesel engines have a higher detergent content than gasoline engine oils.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back