With all these fancy oils... M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO with all of these fancy shamcy oils out now a days how does the "original" Mobil 1 stack up? It has a great pedigree and is readily available. Perhaps it not the most cost effective at retail price but otherwise is it a solid oil? Has it been *cough* watered down, so to speak since the introduction, of Mobil's other oils?

To me the original M1's are the heavy weights 5W50 / 15W50 as that is what we first got in Australia back in the 90's. However the regular M1 5W30 is what I'm using now, and I'm not a Mobil guy, but it seemed to be such a well designed and well balanced package, that I was keen to give it a run.

It's still a world class oil, IMO, lots of other good stuff out there too from the other manufacturers, but regular M1 5W30 is still a great choice for most applications. It gives nothing away to the others.

Originally Posted By: buck91
SO with all of these fancy shamcy oils out now a days how does the "original" Mobil 1 stack up? It has a great pedigree and is readily available. Perhaps it not the most cost effective at retail price but otherwise is it a solid oil? Has it been *cough* watered down, so to speak since the introduction, of Mobil's other oils?

You think all these fancy shamcy new oils are responsible for the new car market falling on its fancy. You know every one now can do 20K OCI's and drive all those cars 600K's plus!

But Mobil is sooooo noisy! LoL sorry i had too
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: buck91

What do you mean by expensive? They still have a $12 rebate through the end of October so you can get 0w40 oil for $22.88 at Walmart and get a 5 quart jug for $10.88 after rebate. I wouldn't call that expensive. That's cheaper than some conventional.

I get Amsoil shipped to my door and I save with a prefered customer membership and their new points program. For me up here it makes it either the same price as off the shelf synthetic or slightly cheaper. It has never been anything but exceptional performance for me so I stick with it.

In the U.S. good quality synthetic can be found on good sales so it would be different for you.

Any off the shelf synthetic today from the mainstream brands is going to offer you excellent performance. It's extended OCI's or driving your vehicles until the wheels fall off that will have you reaching for the very best and that can only be confirmed with a UOA and time.
wink.gif

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I get Amsoil shipped to my door and I save with a prefered customer membership and their new points program. For me up here it makes it either the same price as off the shelf synthetic or slightly cheaper. It has never been anything but exceptional performance for me so I stick with it.

In the U.S. good quality synthetic can be found on good sales so it would be different for you.

Any off the shelf synthetic today from the mainstream brands is going to offer you excellent performance. It's extended OCI's or driving your vehicles until the wheels fall off that will have you reaching for the very best and that can only be confirmed with a UOA and time.
wink.gif

cheers3.gif

Does your price include shipping and is it cheaper than $22.88 a 5 quart Jug?

Last edited:
Just got the girlfriend PP 5w30 for her jeep at advanced auto 26.99 for 5 quart. I think they still offer a rebate.

I'm lucky I have a 99 cent only store here. So I got Kendall GT-1 for less then 21 dollars for 7 quarts. No rebates no coupons. I prefer Pennzoil but that everyday price can not be beat.

M1 5w-20 and 5w-30 are both dexos1 approved oils. They are excellent oils. Some of the other 5w-20 and 0w-20 are dexos1 as well. Mobil doesn't make a bad oil. The 0w-40 has a bunch of high performance approvals. Porsche A40 among them.

The EP and AP oils are tested for longer drains. I may settle on the 0w-20 AP as a change and forget about it except for top off. I could probably cut back to an oil change every other year.

M1 is good oil

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

No and that is why I said it would be different for him.

Quote:

I have started running M1 5W-20 in my Tundra. I only run the truck about 6-7k per year but I have decided to change out every 5k. I know this is probably too conservative but I have the piece of mind doing it this way.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

No and that is why I said it would be different for him.

Quote:

So what are you paying up in Canada? Oil seems to be much cheaper in the US. A bunch of people are just waiting for the Autozone clearance which is usually in December and you get synthetic oil for $2/quart without any rebates.

If we get a jug of vanilla M1 or PP or QSUD or black bottle Edge for $30, that's a fairly good special. Sometimes we can find it lower than that, but the "regular" price at Walmart Canada or Canadian Tire is north of $50 a jug. There's a reason I bought at a distributor for so long.

Originally Posted By: Garak
If we get a jug of vanilla M1 or PP or QSUD or black bottle Edge for $30, that's a fairly good special. Sometimes we can find it lower than that, but the "regular" price at Walmart Canada or Canadian Tire is north of $50 a jug. There's a reason I bought at a distributor for so long.

Just like Australia.

Follow the sales, like this weekend SynPower was $30 for 5L jug, outside that and you are looking at $50 to $100 for 5L of name brand synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back