Bosch D3422 cut @ 5,544 Miles, oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Split seam, obviously not good.

As for UOA, Wix doesn't do insolubles so can't see anything there. If I'm using other UOA posted with tears, it likely wouldn't show anything remarkable. As for anything else, without some corresponding trending UOAs can't really make any causation conclusions. As noted, UOA overall really doesn't look too bad.

For topic filter, a shame and obviously not what one should expect. I've used three BD+ D3323 posted them here, one 2 ocis to 13.5k, all with excellent results. One just posted back in May this year run 7k miles, image still on google images. Mine were all from same lot 11/09, back when Puro jointly owned by M&H and Bosch. This one an M&H sole ownership filter. As BD+ being closed out, based on this anecdote a good thing it seems.

Thanks for c&p.

If I had some of these I bought on clearance I'd toss them or give to Goodwill. For those who say no big deal I'm developing an OFE* kit. Think of the money you can save over the long haul..

* Oil Filter Eliminator kit
crazy.gif

I bought several of these on 'CLEARANCE' figuring they were Purolator's top of the line filter and had to be much better than their other JUNK....I guess not.

These filters are sold as an extended OCI filter and yet this one fell apart in a standard OCI...shame on Purolator...if they aren't TEARING they are SPLITTING....totally poor quality control.

Besides that, the media looks no where near as good as an FU or Wix Platinum even if it had stayed together....

Originally Posted By: berniedd
... Since flowing liquids would take the path of least resistance, I'd say the filter did its job just fine and the tear occurred very shortly before you did the oil and filter change.
No. When flowing liquids are presented with two parallel paths (like through the hole, or through the media in this case) they split and go through BOTH paths---predominantly through "the path of least resistance," but not exclusively. That's analogous to electrical current flowing through two parallel, unequal resistors. In this case, suppose 90% of the oil went through the hole in each pass through the filter. Because the oil made thousands of trips through the system, practically all of it eventually went through the media, where the "crud" was eventually trapped---albeit too late, after making a few trips through the bearings, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CR94
In this case, suppose 90% of the oil went through the hole in each pass through the filter. Because the oil made thousands of trips through the system, practically all of it eventually went through the media, where the "crud" was eventually trapped---albeit too late, after making a few trips through the bearings, etc.

Yep, to add ... every time particles bypass the filter, either through a tear or through an open bypass valve, there is the possibility of particles making it to the engine and the possibility of wear.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
... Since flowing liquids would take the path of least resistance, I'd say the filter did its job just fine and the tear occurred very shortly before you did the oil and filter change.
No. When flowing liquids are presented with two parallel paths (like through the hole, or through the media in this case) they split and go through BOTH paths---predominantly through "the path of least resistance," but not exclusively. That's analogous to electrical current flowing through two parallel, unequal resistors. In this case, suppose 90% of the oil went through the hole in each pass through the filter. Because the oil made thousands of trips through the system, practically all of it eventually went through the media, where the "crud" was eventually trapped---albeit too late, after making a few trips through the bearings, etc.

That huge rip meant almost no pressure drop, so little to no flow through the media. Whatever dirt is there was caught before the tear. I always liked these filters, all were perfect. If it was an Ultra the talk would be it is a one time occurrence happens to every make.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
If it was an Ultra the talk would be it is a one time occurrence happens to every make.

If it was a "one time occurrence" on a Purolator there wouldn't be the talk there is now. But obviously it's not a one time occurrence for Purolator made filters, as we all know due to what's been reported over the last 2 years.

If Fram or any brand of filters were tearing like Purolators, the same negative outlook would be there.

MrQuackers - really nice cut & post. Also, I think your UOA looks pretty good.

It seems Purolator is still living up to their reputation. A tear-o-later regardless of how the can is painted or who they made the filter for.

Thanks.

For a long time I paid top dollar for PureONE oil filters ~ (before getting the scoop here)
… but only cut open the first one last week.
Same cheap/weak media as MC … could not tell them apart …

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If it was an Ultra the talk would be it is a one time occurrence happens to every make.

If it was a "one time occurrence" on a Purolator there wouldn't be the talk there is now. But obviously it's not a one time occurrence for Purolator made filters, as we all know due to what's been reported over the last 2 years.

If Fram or any brand of filters were tearing like Purolators, the same negative outlook would be there.

Never have seen a seam separation like this, one time occurrence afaik. If you mean the tearing at the base of the pleat, well you already knew this isn't like that.

Yeah, a "seam split". How do you know the actual failure mode (no glue?, glue let go?, media still tore?, etc) by looking at a photo. Maybe it will be a "one time occurrence" ... only time will tell.

... That huge rip meant almost no pressure drop, so little to no flow through the media. Whatever dirt is there was caught before the tear. ...
Nope. Even if it were somehow magically true that there was "no pressure drop" through the rip, there was enough pressure drop through the holes in the center tube behind the rip to send a significant minority of the oil though the media---thousands of times. SOME of the dirt was caught before the tear. We have no way of knowing what fraction of it was.

... That huge rip meant almost no pressure drop, so little to no flow through the media. Whatever dirt is there was caught before the tear. ...
Nope. Even if it were somehow magically true that there was "no pressure drop" through the rip, there was enough pressure drop through the holes in the center tube behind the rip to send a significant minority of the oil though the media---thousands of times. SOME of the dirt was caught before the tear. We have no way of knowing what fraction of it was.

Wrong and nope, that giant hole means very close to zero pressure drop. The media is outside the holes and there is a flow all the way around. Even if the media was glued to the center tube, which it isn't, there are still more than enough holes right in the gap which goes top to bottom. No magic, it's reality.

A big split in the media like that would essentially be like having the bypass valve cracked open a fair amount a 100% of the time. Over the time the filter was ran, that's a good amount of unfiltered oil.

Wrong and nope, that giant hole means very close to zero pressure drop. The media is outside the holes and there is a flow all the way around. Even if the media was glued to the center tube, which it isn't, there are still more than enough holes right in the gap which goes top to bottom. No magic, it's reality.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
A big split in the media like that would essentially be like having the bypass valve cracked open a fair amount a 100% of the time. Over the time the filter was ran, that's a good amount of unfiltered oil.

Exactly, goodtimes and ZeeOSix. A big split in the media, which results in much of the oil bypassing the media, is obviously not a good thing. If someone defends a filter failure of that magnitude, then I guess it's possible he or she has some of these filters in stash or doesn't want to stop using a particular brand of filter or filters made by a certain company. Whatever the case, there has been more than a sufficient amount of time for filter failures involving media tears/rips, splits in the media, and slits in the ADBV to have been investigated and corrected by the filter company.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
A big split in the media, which results in much of the oil bypassing the media, is obviously not a good thing. If someone defends a filter failure of that magnitude, then I guess it's possible he or she has some of these filters in stash or doesn't want to stop using a particular brand of filter or filters made by a certain company.

+1 Tony ... or they own stock in that company, which they should sell.
grin.gif

Quote:
.. or they own stock in that company, which they should sell....

Owning/selling stock in Puro's parent company is not possible as sole owner Mann&Hummel is a privately held company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back