I got a really "good" deal on oil filters....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never learn...lol. I try to get a deal and it backfires on me almost every time.

I couldn't help myself when I seen some Fram HM filters and a few Bosch DP on clearance at walmart, I bought them up thinking I could use the Bosch filters on my parents vehicles, possibly mine, I know they are a tearolator filter, but for 75 cents a filter, how bad could they be. Well right after buying these there was a post on a Bosch DP filter and it didnt have a tear, but a spot on the pleats had completely separated!

So now I may or may not use them on my parents car.

Then the Fram HM I bought are not for the application I thought they were, my memory failed me. I thought they would work on a lawn tractor I have, but these dont have any bypass valves. I may use the frams, I am not sure.

Look for some virgin filter C&P in the near future...lol.

You could always sell them for $2 each which is a deal to others and go buy another filter.
wink.gif

For that price, I'd run the Bosch.

The Frams aren't for your application, but are those the filters with the mystery goop additive?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

The Frams aren't for your application, but are those the filters with the mystery goop additive?

Yes, they have the mystery goop. One is dented, so I will definitely cut that one open, since I was cutting one anyway.

I might run it on the tractor even though its the wrong application. I dont know, It is an older kohler that needs head gaskets and it rarely gets used anymore.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Yup

Well for fifty cent you could cut a can and see. But in reality the fact is they are likely all good. Every manufacturer out there makes some bad cans and you realize this or you're in denial.

Hate when that happens.
I bought a couple of the D+ that I thought were oversize for my xB (got 3423), but were not. I cut one open, the other is still sitting on my shelf.

I have a few of the D+ 3422's for the xB (one is the older style with the round holes in the center tube) and a few 3410's for the F150. I will still be using them, just not for the 2 oil changes I had planned on.
I may change my mind depending on how the one on my brother in laws truck right now looks when I cut it open in a month or so.

The one posted here is the first D+ I can remember seeing having an issue, so I am thinking it is a fluke on the D+ line of filters, and not the same as the more common problem of torn pleats of other Puro filters (although it did have the cut ADV).

For the Fram HM, I personally would not use it. Without a built in bypass, the chance for media failure is higher, as is the possibility of engine damage. I would just cut one and toss (or give away on craiglist) the others. It is only a $1.50 loss.

Nice deal! I would have left the Bosch filters for someone else. Or maybe bought them to flip for some extra coin.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
You could always sell them for $2 each which is a deal to others and go buy another filter.
wink.gif

Love it!
thumbsup2.gif

Work up all the crosses for those filters and sell 'em to a local garage for some fair profit.

A pal threw an older WIX "low boy" Honda filter at me and I brought it to my WIX dealer.
He looked it up and said they had one in stock and 1989 was the last year they had sold one.

He gave me $4 towards my purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back