New Mobil year long oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:

Just bought the new Mobil year long oil, I had been using Mobil EP. I don't plan on running the oil a full year, I was just hoping it was better, ie had more synthetic base and stronger add package.

What do you guys think?

JR

If you paid full price, you paid too much. If you paid half price, you paid too much.
Are you planning on using it for more than 10,000 miles? If not, you wasted you money.
That is what I think.

What was Mobil 1 EP not doing for you? Did you feel since the Mobil 1 AP cost more it must be better?
How long were you running the EP? Did you do a used oil analysis on it to see if it was falling short?

From what I remember on the VOA, there was nothing special about it (but not everything shows up in a basic VOA).

Originally Posted By: jrcowboys
I don't plan on running the oil a full year, I was just hoping it was better, ie had more synthetic base and stronger add package.
Better how and what will more synthetic base and stronger additive pack do for you? You are more than likely not utilizing the additive pack in EP. How is EP performing? Any UOAs?

What is your decision criteria? Unless you have tested the EP to know how it is performing, you are both guessing and underutlizing that oil much less switching to AP. How many miles per year are you doing now? Unless you are short tripping the car to death, M1 AFE or M1 EP will EASILY go for 15K miles or 1 year. You need to set a baseline to determine if EP is the oil for you (forget about AP). I would opine that M1 AFE would do everything that you need and then some.

What do you guys think?

I think you bought a drastically over priced oil. Should have bought the EP you have been using for the cost/benefit.

Is your vehicle out of warranty where you can give it a long run? Not numbers … just more?… I mean hundreds of us dump EP before 15k … so the question is will you run it longer than EP … the rest is comfort zone …
XOM will pull it before any of this $22 stuff …
I just grabbed two jugs of EP and it’s back up to $28 … so I still think it has to settle in at $32~$35 pretty soon …

Guys:

Just bought the new Mobil year long oil, I had been using Mobil EP. I don't plan on running the oil a full year, I was just hoping it was better, ie had more synthetic base and stronger add package.

What do you guys think?

JR

Better in what way? You hope the engine will last 500k miles instead of 300-400k? It's been covered multiple times and I guess it's not selling well. These days engines are pretty good and will probably outlast the rest of the car so going crazy on oil changes isn't really going to produce much.

While M1AP is no doubt a good oil, my impression is that it is an XOM experiment to find the price ceiling on synthetic oil. And with the latest WM price reductions, they’re about to find out. When it starts flying off the shelves, whatever price it is at that time, that’s the ceiling for their concept of a super premium syn oil..

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
What do you guys think?

I think you bought a drastically over priced oil. Should have bought the EP you have been using for the cost/benefit.

Exactly. It's not worth $39 IMO.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Is it a better oil? Probably.

Personally I think its only hype and higher profits for Exxon/Mobil. I've seen no proof in the form of testing that suggests its going to benefit your car with increased longevity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I think that it's good for a year run.

You could run conventional oil for a year and 20K miles. The oil will be spent, but the engine will last 200K miles easily before you trade it in.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Is it a better oil? Probably.

Personally I think its only hype and higher profits for Exxon/Mobil. I've seen no proof in the form of testing that suggests its going to benefit your car with increased longevity.

Usage scenario of said oil by the OP was the reason for the second statement in my comment:

Will it make a difference to you? Unlikely.

Doesn't change the likelihood that it is a better oil.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

You could run conventional oil for a year and 20K miles. The oil will be spent, but the engine will last 200K miles easily before you trade it in.

That is a blanket statement that is categorically untrue. There are clearly a number of modern engines that are quite sensitive to the type of oil chosen, the oil change interval and the viscosity.

There are GM engines that make it a whopping 49,000 miles before balancer chain failure. Link:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f39/2...arranty-203769/ A problem solved by sufficient viscosity and more frequent oil change intervals.

There are Ford cam phasers that knock and wear themselves apart with uber thin oils. A problem solved by sufficient viscosity.

There are entire fleets of Toyota engines that start consuming oil due to significant carbon formation on the piston's oil control ring and associated drain holes. A problem solved by a quality synthetic.

An entire generation of VW TDI engines chew up camshafts due to the OEM oil requirements. A problem solved by the use of a more robust synthetic oil.

The list goes on and on. Rather than make a blanket statement, let's recognize that we don't know "if" and "when" the newest designs are going to show trouble. Quality oil, and sufficiently frequent oil changes are cheap insurance.

Fact: Most people are unaware of the troubles with existing designs, and are caught unaware by premature failure.

Last edited:
Like a lot of us here, I wanted to try AP but I was not willing to part with 40 or 50 clams for a jug of it. For that kind of coin, SSO and Red Line beckon.
I figured that the right deal would come along and it did. By combining store deals and coupons with the MIR, I was able to get two jugs of AP with M1 oil filters for $35 the pair AMIR.
At this price, it made economic sense to me to buy a couple of jugs to use as the winter fill in a couple of cars I don't always get to see at times convenient for an oil change.
How well this oil holds up in service remains to be seen, but early UOAs don't make it look to be capable of 20K, just as EP seems incapable of 15K in many UOAs.
Until we have a solid base of UOAs from those trying this oil, we really can't know how well it holds up in service and we're taking the 20K claim on faith.
Anyway, this was an itch I wanted to scratch and now I have.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Like a lot of us here, I wanted to try AP but I was not willing to part with 40 or 50 clams for a jug of it. For that kind of coin, SSO and Red Line beckon.
I figured that the right deal would come along and it did. By combining store deals and coupons with the MIR, I was able to get two jugs of AP with M1 oil filters for $35 the pair AMIR.
At this price, it made economic sense to me to buy a couple of jugs to use as the winter fill in a couple of cars I don't always get to see at times convenient for an oil change.
How well this oil holds up in service remains to be seen, but early UOAs don't make it look to be capable of 20K, just as EP seems incapable of 15K in many UOAs.
Until we have a solid base of UOAs from those trying this oil, we really can't know how well it holds up in service and we're taking the 20K claim on faith.
Anyway, this was an itch I wanted to scratch and now I have.

So, please pardon my un-knowing but after rebate you paid like $12-16 out the door for oil and filters? Good deal and HAPPY SUNDAY SIR
smile.gif

The jury is still IMO. Where AP might shine is with DI motors. Mobil made a big deal out of the test engines being DI and it takes a mid saps approach to the add pack. The big unknown in my book are what if any special juice they put in there and what the underlying base stocks are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back