100K miles air filter change

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW!
shocked.gif

My filter in the Journey I'm lucky if it lasts 12K Miles (20K KM's). IT's usually full of sand, dust, dirt, leaves, bugs, and old hot dog from 1982. You know...

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
A Silicon reading on a couple of your UOA would likely be astronomical.

My guess is the older the air filter the more dirt it would keep out of the engine. It would just become more restrictive and limit power. You don't want holes in the filer and/or the gasket to stop sealing properly.

This is my personal truck. My work truck was a different story. Lots of limestone roads and you may get 20k miles from your air filter.
Retire now so no more limestone roads for me.

I went 90k miles on my S2000 and changed it out due to time(years) not restriction. Get a restriction gauge and know when to change the filter due to restriction. No need to change it early and let more dirt get to your engine. How long time wise was that filter in your truck? Looks like it held up well.

ROD

Very unlikely, unless there were holes in the filter. You'd get at least slightly more silicon in the oil changing the air filter too frequently.

I replaced air filters well beyond 100K miles in my Mazda and couldn't detect any improvement in performance or fuel consumption after installing new ones. Obviously that wouldn't have worked out so well if I'd frequented dusty areas. That car did have a relatively generous filter size in proportion to its air consumption.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Very unlikely, unless there were holes in the filter. You'd get at least slightly more silicon in the oil changing the air filter too frequently.

I replaced air filters well beyond 100K miles in my Mazda and couldn't detect any improvement in performance or fuel consumption after installing new ones. Obviously that wouldn't have worked out so well if I'd frequented dusty areas. That car did have a relatively generous filter size in proportion to its air consumption.

Well I'd sure have a lot warmer fuzzy feeling if I could have maybe found some of your UOA's.

Originally Posted By: CR94
... I replaced air filters well beyond 100K miles in my Mazda and couldn't detect any improvement in performance or fuel consumption after installing new ones. ...
Well I'd sure have a lot warmer fuzzy feeling if I could have maybe found some of your UOA's.
Well, the engine was still running as well as ever at 606K with no problems due to wear of oily engine parts. Is that good enough for you, given that I didn't do UOAs? (That's not to say the engine didn't have a few other problems, major and minor.)

Visually at 100k miles, that's a clean air filter. Without a filter minder, can't say for sure but load/capacity wise I'd speculate it could have gone farther. But at that FCI, I'd say you got your money's worth.

How long did it take to get 100k mi.?

Thanks for the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back