Get one now, about 70K +

My new custom built home has two NEMA 14-50 outlets in my garage and one on the outside corner for guest charging. I don't want an electric vehicle at this point in my life, but I'm set up for it.

Relying on the O & G Industry for my livelihood, I don't allow any visitors to the house that are driving an electric vehicle.
grin.gif

Now if I was still taking some work in the coal industry then I would consider it.

For North America and most of the rest of world, if each block gets 1-3 electric cars, the electricity supply system is going to fail - frequently. The first stop gap will be designated charging days for these cars, this might slow down the need for a total utility system upgrade.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
For North America and most of the rest of world, if each block gets 1-3 electric cars, the electricity supply system is going to fail - frequently. The first stop gap will be designated charging days for these cars, this might slow down the need for a total utility system upgrade.

You do realise that is just an Urban Myth?

I disagree. What does the system do when most people switch on their A/C units in the summer that consume as much power as a fast-charger? Also most charging will be done at night when peak demand isn't there, not so much during the day when people are at work.
wink.gif

That is [censored] SEXY in red!!!! Imagine if all cars go this way eventually. We'll have to change BITOG to BITBG (bob is the battery guy) haha
laugh.gif

I can buy three Toyota's for that kind of money. Gas is cheap and its looking like the electrics are going to bring the cost of oil down even more from what they are saying.

They need you to produce the thin films in the batteries and the rest of the plastic …

The Tesla is the rich guys toy here in Austin, so many of them here.

Now the soccer moms have the four door 45k Tesla, I see a lot of those also. Looks like a honda civic.

Lady I work with drives a Nissan Leaf to work, she bought it used for $7900.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I can buy three Toyota's for that kind of money. Gas is cheap and its looking like the electrics are going to bring the cost of oil down even more from what they are saying.

And this is why most people don't own one. It doesn't make economic sense yet.

We'll see more electric cars when manufacturers figure out how to make a reasonable profit on the sale of each vehicle without the aid of government give away programs and political monkey business. The government must refrain from picking winners and let the marketplace take care of that.

Henry Ford was the beneficiary of the perfect storm. Elon Musk is missing a few pieces.

Originally Posted By: PalmSpringsSCal
They need a realistic recording of a lopey cammed engine coming from the car at idle and for acceleration until that that expectation has been conditioned out of most of our minds
crackmeup2.gif

When I'm in my bosses it feels like the engine has stalled at the lights. Then sounds like the alternator whirring when you take off. It's an experience.

You should check out ISO New England, gives you data on how much power is required each day, excess capacity and historical data. Basically peak load for the region varies between 15-20 gigawatts on a daily basis. They usually have a few gigawatts of spare capacity and then there's the minimum load which is in the 9-10 gigawatt range. They service about 6 states so the local grid will vary. Anyway, if they're charged at night, the first sign of trouble will be during peak demand. That's typically in the summer afternoon here when everyone is running their A/C during the day and when it's the hottest. Demand is much lower in the winter. When I worked at a power plant years ago, they used to get about 6 cents a kilowatt in the summer and 3 cents in the winter. Conversely because it was a gas plant, the hotter it was, the less power it made, the colder it was, the more power it made. Just fixed gas/air mixture, hotter air has less oxygen, colder air has more.

No more radiators, water pumps, mufflers, fuel pumps, what will we do now and how to spend our money...

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
, what will we do now and how to spend our money...

Prostitutes(high class ones), illicit drugs and alcohol. Jk....

————

Electric means instant torque. Pops has a ‘15 Camry hybrid. That car pulls like a freight train when provoked.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
No more radiators, water pumps, mufflers, fuel pumps, what will we do now and how to spend our money...

On your electric bill.

Back