Brake Pad Friction Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shopping for pads for my Saab, I was surprised how hard it was to find out the friction ratings. I was looking for FF or better, but found few that published the rating or had a picture showing the rating on the pads.

1-.jpg

The problem is the cross over. If you look at the chart, and ff pad could also be called a gg at .45. An EE pad could be called an FF pad at .35.

The odd thing is I've had some "lower" friction pads that felt more grippy than higher rated ones that have replaced them.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
1-.jpg

The problem is the cross over. If you look at the chart, and ff pad could also be called a gg at .45. An EE pad could be called an FF pad at .35.

You might be overly concerned about "cross over." If the chart is accurate, the coefficient would have to be a single exact number to fall on the edge. If it's .01 either way it's a different designation.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The odd thing is I've had some "lower" friction pads that felt more grippy than higher rated ones that have replaced them.

Not odd at all. Cheap soft grippy-feel pads can fade a lot when hot, and thus get a lower rating.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
The friction rating doesn't tell the whole story, but I also consider it when buying pads.

This.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
JHZR2 said:

Not odd at all. Cheap soft grippy-feel pads can fade a lot when hot, and thus get a lower rating.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
The friction rating doesn't tell the whole story, but I also consider it when buying pads.

This.
Originally Posted By: JustinH
rockauto usually posts photos of the brake pad and you can read the friction ratings on the pad.

and I thank them for that. I've pinged a few other websites about publishing this information, either crickets or nonsense responses, listing what's already on the site and no acknowledgement that the info I'm asking for is still missing.

The other thing I don't completely understand is where the 90R rating comes in. This only certifies that aftermarket pads are close to OEM in performance, right?

Originally Posted By: ET16
The other thing I don't completely understand is where the 90R rating comes in. This only certifies that aftermarket pads are close to OEM in performance, right?

It's is a ECE R90 regulation, which yes, coincides with OEM in performance (meeting or better), which also has country code stamping also

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back