Toro SR 20381 vs 20382

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my aging Toro Recycler 20098 with Tecumseh 195cc engine with one of these 2 models.

How do these 2 new engines compare, TXP 159cc OHV 7.25 ft-lb vs the Honda GCV 160cc 6.9 ft-lb.

Which would be quieter, more fuel efficient and more powerful?

I think I'm leaning towards the Honda but just have no clue.

Thanks!

Probably hard to distinguish between them for power, nearly identical.

But my little Honda powered trash pump has hundreds of hours of operation across over a decade of use without ever skipping a beat.

Can't beat the Honda IMO...

I have a Husqavarna mower with a 6.5Hp Honda. Use it for fall leaf shed and vac. Have to clean the carb each year before it will run. I do run the gas out before putting it away. The EPA California spec Honda's aren't as reliable as the Briggs. That is my opinion. No hard data except mine and my wrenches.

I looked at Toro's when my sister needed a new mower. The dealer had one of those Power Reverse Personal Pace mowers that is self propelled going forward and backwards. That mower only comes with a Toro branded engine. He said the Toro branded mower engine is made by Loncin to Toro specs, they never see issues with them and the engine is also used on some Ariens mowers. He said they replace a lot of auto choke actuators on the Hondas. I'd get the cheaper Toro. The Super Recyclers cut great. I always use hearing protection when I mow/trim/blow.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Any idea how my old Tecumseh 195cc would compare to either of these mowers power wise?
I feel it's under powered while mulching if the grass gets a little too long.

I know the ft-lb of these 2 newer mowers but could never find the specs for the Tecumseh 195cc...

Also wanted to add the 20382 is $60cnd more for the Honda engine than the 20381 so approx $48usd difference.

I went with this cheaper Briggs when my engine blew earlier in the year. Theyre pretty light engines, which could go either way, but starts everytime right away and is a very quiet motor. Plenty of power as well as inexpensive, says assembled in the USA also. They have a range of sizes and outputs, plus a Professional series that might be a little more heavy duty.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200667988_200667988

The problem is just like they say on your investments.

Past performance does not indicate future performance.

The briggs, honda etc of old are not current production. By the time we know current, it is too late.

I would get a Japanese Honda, or get a American Briggs.

China made should be a lot cheaper. I would pick something that you can replace with a Harbor freight motor in that case.

Rod

If you wanna mulch and never plan on bagging, the Snapper Ninja has a professional series Briggs & Stratton 190 CC OHV engine rated at 8.5 ft lbs of torque. I'd highly consider it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supercoo
Any idea how my old Tecumseh 195cc would compare to either of these mowers power wise?

I know the ft-lb of these 2 newer mowers but could never find the specs for the Tecumseh 195cc...

The Tecumseh 195cc flat head is a DOG. Those two engines will easily have 50-60% more usable power than that turd. By the way, I cannot STAND the 195cc Tecumseh.

How do these 2 new engines compare, TXP 159cc OHV 7.25 ft-lb vs the Honda GCV 160cc 6.9 ft-lb.

The Toro TXP engine is almost a clone of the Honda GXV engine. Real bearings, cast iron liner. The Honda engine is very light duty, lots of plastic parts, plastic camshaft, plastic cam gear, belt driven camshaft, no cast iron liner. Basically, the Toro TXP engine is the better engine. If you are going to keep the engine long term (20 plus years) it will probably be easier to find parts for the Honda. Once Toro stops importing that engine, parts supply will likely dry up. UNLESS the TXP is a very close copy of the Honda GXV, in which case parts will be cheap and available forever.

Realistically, they both will run a really long time if maintained. Both are good engines. I'd honestly buy the cheaper one. If the TXP engine is cheaper, I'd go that route. Plus to boot, on paper the TXP is a better engine.

Hey so just an update I ended up going with the 20381 serial 400 so it's a newer model with the black motor cover.

They filled it up with oil and gas for me at the dealership and started it up first pull and it runs great.

I just mowed my backyard and noticed a slight burning rubber smell maybe and I find the personal place slower than my old model and the reverse sometimes the wheels lock up.
I noticed the personal pace cable is really loose, where my older model is only slightly loose.

You think it's just that cable out of adjustment and maybe the belt is slipping a little?

Or maybe that's just new mower smell?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

The Tecumseh 195cc flat head is a DOG. Those two engines will easily have 50-60% more usable power than that turd. By the way, I cannot STAND the 195cc Tecumseh.

I never had any performance issues with my Tecumseh and it has had a hard life. 50-60 percent improvement, I highly doubt it.
Anyway, either one of those engines would work fine and perform better than the old Tecumseh but 50-60% better, nah.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

The Toro TXP engine is almost a clone of the Honda GXV engine. Real bearings, cast iron liner. The Honda engine is very light duty, lots of plastic parts, plastic camshaft, plastic cam gear, belt driven camshaft, no cast iron liner. Basically, the Toro TXP engine is the better engine. If you are going to keep the engine long term (20 plus years) it will probably be easier to find parts for the Honda. Once Toro stops importing that engine, parts supply will likely dry up. UNLESS the TXP is a very close copy of the Honda GXV, in which case parts will be cheap and available forever.

Realistically, they both will run a really long time if maintained. Both are good engines. I'd honestly buy the cheaper one. If the TXP engine is cheaper, I'd go that route. Plus to boot, on paper the TXP is a better engine.

Bubba is spot on, however, like he mentioned, I'm not sure how close of a copy the TXP engine is. I realize you already bought your mower, but i went with the SR4 w/ the Honda GCV 160 back in 2012, its been a great mower. I would hate to think that something stupid like a bent pushrod would cause you to replace your whole TPX engine, but its possible if parts sourcing is not there. Toro does not provide consumers any part #'s for TXP engine components other than normal service parts [air filters, spark plugs, etc]. I would have to think that they would probably just unbolt the motor and replace it with another $100 TXP motor vs replacing the broken push rod as an example. Sad times we live in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back