American, European, and Asian DOT4 Brake Fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Canadian Tire had DOT4 in American, European, and Asian variants. Does anyone know what could possibly be the difference between these three (besides the colour of the label?) I wasn't aware of continental differences in DOT4 brake fluid.

6sgyup.jpg

Last edited:
I believe it's simply a marketing ploy to make one feel more comfortable using that DOT 4 for their Asian, Euro or American vehicle. Why I say that is you'll note all have same temp spec at the bottom.

'OEM brand' the same that markets OEM brand Antifreeze for Asian (and others) vehicles. It comes in four tints to match the vehicle oem tint color, but all are the same AF. Sold at PepBoys here, and made by Recochem in Canada.

Many newer vehicles are now specifying a DOT 4 LV brake fluid. LV for low viscosity. The 2018 Fusion and F150 specify this brake fluid.

Originally Posted By: dk1604
My local Canadian Tire had DOT4 in American, European, and Asian variants. Does anyone know what could possibly be the difference between these three (besides the colour of the label?) I wasn't aware of continental differences in DOT4 brake fluid.

6sgyup.jpg

They differ in price.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I believe it's simply a marketing ploy to make one feel more comfortable using that DOT 4 for their Asian, Euro or American vehicle. Why I say that is you'll note all have same temp spec at the bottom.

'OEM brand' the same that markets OEM brand Antifreeze for Asian (and others) vehicles. It comes in four tints to match the vehicle oem tint color, but all are the same AF. Sold at PepBoys here, and made by Recochem in Canada.

Any source regarding their antifreeze being the same but tinted differently? I'm pretty sure they are indeed formulated specific to the OEMs referenced.

OT Just as you're "pretty sure" they are a specific formula to the oems referenced I'm pretty sure they are all the same, with a different tint to match the oem tint. They are all Asian PHOAT AF's. As an example the PB OEM Blue tint label lists Acura, Honda, Infinti, Mitsu, Nissan, Subaru, Isuzu, Kia, Hyundai and Mazda. Not all of those use a 'blue tint' (mazda, Hyundai/Kia), implying to me same AF. Same label list for the Green tint OEM AF. All tints list same service interval and PHOAT AF chemical attributes. As this is off topic, if you information (pds/spec sheet) showing that inhibitors used are specific to oem manufacturer, feel free to post it in another thread.

Hydraulic brake fluid doesn't know what vehicle it's in. It simply responds to the laws of physics.
The latest fluids are better than the old ones in many respects. Better heat resistance and less hygroscopic are two thing I can think of, no doubt there are other parameters.
I watched an old tv program some years ago showing how Cubans made their own brake fluid from a mixture of sugar, rum, and shampoo. Apperantly brown sugar worked best in old American cars, white sugar was better in Ladas and other iron curtain vehicles. I've no idea why. But it worked. Not that I want to try it in my modern abs equipped car though!.

Claud.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
Yup, it is marketing. DOT 4 is the only standard, there is no DOT 4.x subset for country of origin.
The "American" formula is cheapest, that is the one I would get.

Actually DOT 4 has a minimum spec. Those fluids all seem to meet it, but there are other Dot 4 fluids that have better specs. There's Pentosin Super Dot 4 which has higher boiling points. Castrol Dot 4 is also up there. Vavoline also has a Dot 3/4 fluid that's better than Dot 4, but their boiling point isn't as high as the previous ones I've mentioned. There seems to a mysterious Autozone Dot 3 fluid that has a boiling point in the 500F+ range which would make it a Dot 4, but it might be a typo on their website.

I bought a couple too many of Ravenol DOT 5.1, let me know if interested, you can have one 1L can at very reasonable price if you stop by to pick it up.
The fluid is compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4, made in Germany.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
DOT 4 is the only standard.

Well it used to be and still would be if they'd wake up and recognise the increasing market for low viscosity brake fluid. The only specification for low viscosity "DOT 4" fluid that I've seen is ISO standard 4925 class 6.

And until they do wake up the manufacturers will continue to confuse us with their own marketing names such as DOT 4+, DOT LV, DOT 4 plus, DOT 4 super and probably many more.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Well, there is DOT4 Low Viscosity.
wink.gif

But that's just the problem, there is no DOT 4 low viscosity standard.

dubber09, thanks for the offer but I picked up a bottle of the "Asian" stuff since I needed it in a hurry (brake pad down to the plate).

PS. I used to be able to buy Wagner DOT 5.1 in the metal cans from DV Aldous when they were still around. Since their retirement I'm not sure where to go to get stuff at reasonable prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back