Ford WSS-M2C913-D oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

I'm a bit confused by all the different Ford oil specs and what they mean. In particular what is required to meet Ford WSS-M2C913-D and which cars need it.

In Australia we have two full synthetic oils that carry this Ford spec and they are both also rated Euro A5/B5. They are Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A5 it is a Ford WSS-M2C913-D oil and so is Valvoline SynPower 5W30 FE. This SynPower is API SL and ACEA A5/B5, I assume the SL is due to the zinc / phos levels being above the limits imposed on ILSAC oils. The Magnatec A5 has a very high sulphated ash (SA) level of 1.24 %

Valvoline SynPower 5W30 FE says "Suitable for FORD vehicles requiring the latest Ford Fuel Efficiency (FE) specifications"
Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A5 says "For use with Ford Ranger and Mustang Vehicles".

Regular M1 5W-30 claims SN, GF-5, Dexos1, HTO-06, A1/B1 and Ford WSS-M2C946-A & M2C929A (but NOT A5/B5 or M2C913-D).

What do all of these Ford specs mean ?
Both of these full synthetic 5W30 A5/B5 and Ford WSS-M2C913-D oils appear to be locally produced for the Australian market which sort of implies to me that this is what Ford Australia requires in their vehicles. We have no other special, blended for Ford, oils that I know about.

Just found another one, Penrite 5W-30 Full Synthetic, details below

Quote:
ACEA A1/B1
ACEA A5/B5
API SL
Ford M2C913-A
Ford M2C913-B
Ford M2C913-C
Ford M2C913-D
Ford WSS-M2C913-A
Ford WSS-M2C913-B
Ford WSS-M2C913-C
Ford WSS-M2C913-D
Renault RN 0700

Quote:
Density at 15°C, kg/L 0.852
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt at 40°C 52
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt at 100°C 9.6
Viscosity Index 170
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP at -30°C 3660
Zinc, Mass % 0.105
Phosphorus, Mass % 0.096
Sulphated Ash, mass % 1.09
Base Number 10.1

Quote:
Penrite Full Synthetic 5W-30 is formulated to meet the latest generation Ford Euro 5 and Euro 6 petrol and diesel emission legislation. It is also suitable for Ford wet timing belt technology and is backward compatible with previous Ford specifications WSS M2C912A, 913-A/B & 913-C.

Last edited:
Tough question, SR5.
As confused if not more.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: peejaycruiser
Nulon has one too.
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/full-sy...gine-oil/#intro

Yep Nulon, and Hitec too.
Quote:
Hi-Tec Synplus A5/B5 5W30 meets or exceeds:

ACEA: A5/B5-10, A1/B1-10
API: SL/CF
Ford: WSS-M2C-913D, WSS-M2C-913C, WSS-M2C-913B, WSS-M2C-913
Renault: RN0700

Hi-Tec Synplus A5/B5 5W/30 is a full synthetic, full SAPS, super high performance engine oil which meets the ACEA A1/B1, ACEA A5/B5 and Ford WSS-M2C-913D specifications. It combines the latest developments in oil formulation and additive technology to provide a lubricating oil with the highest level of protection, whilst promoting fuel efficiency and lowering emissions in modern low friction engines.

Hi-Tec Synplus A5/B5 5W/30 is intended for use at extended drain intervals in gasoline engines and car and light van diesel engines. These engines will be designed to be capable of using this low friction low viscosity oil with a High Temperature / High Shear Rate (HTHS) viscosity of between 2.9 and 3.5 mPa.s.

Hi-Tec Synplus A5/B5 5W/30 meets the 2010 edition of the ACEA specifications in that it has improved sludge handling performance to further increase it’s the long drain capabilities.

The Hitec oil spec sheet is here (Link HiTec 5W30 Syn)

It's API SL and ACEA A5/B5-12 (updated from above) plus the Ford spec.

It has a TBN of 11.2 and a SA of 1.26% with 1020 ppm Zinc and a KV100 of 9.39 cSt.

There is a Motul "913D specific" which will be the oil I am going to use in the next oil change (and the following 4 oil changes) from my stash on my Ford fiesta.

I just did a search on both the Castrol and Valvoline Australian web sites for what oil to use in a new Ford Mustang, and for both the 5.0L V8 and they Ecoboost engine, they both said to run a Ford WSS-M2C913-D oil.

What Ford spec oil do you guys use in North America in the Mustang ?

Essentially the spec applies to Ford Ecoboost Turbo engines with high fuel-eco&efficiency tweak..slightly differ from 946 and more suitable for European formula.

Generally based upon API SN or A5/B5,not sure how Valvoline API SL qualifies.

Hi Claudio,

Your first post, Welcome !!

Yes the Valvoline is API SL and so is the HiTec oil and the Penrite oil, the specs above give the HiTec at 1020 ppm zinc and the Penrite at 1050 ppm zinc. The API SN limit for an ILSAC grade oil is about 850 ppm zinc (or very close), so these high zinc oils must be classed as SL, even if they pass all the SN quality tests, which I'm sure an A5/B5 oil does - given it's such a high quality Euro standard.

It seems Fords likes a bit of extra ZDDP in their oil, just over a 1000 ppm Zn, which I assume it's for that extra wet cam chain wear test they have added to the regular A5/B5 tests. They have also increased the min TBN from the A5/B5 value of 8 to the Ford value of 10.

With the extra zinc, extra TBN, extra oxidation resistance on top of a full synthetic A5/B5 oil, that is a high quality package and a very good oil. It's a 5W30, but with fuel economy requirements that make it a very thin 30 grade, around 9.5 cSt (KV100). The A5/B5 tests means the Noack is 13% or less (same as Dexos and better than SN) and it must pass a stay-in-grade shear test.

It sounds like a great oil to me. The best of both Euro and American requirements.

From what I can tell the Ford 913 spec is their world spec so it's common in Europe, Australia, etc. But for the domestic North Anerican market they spec 929 or 946, probably due to the difficulty in selling a high zinc SL oil in a market place dominated by SN & GF-5 oils.

RAVENOL DXG 5W-30
Oil Specifications and Quality Standards:

API SN
API SM
ILSAC GF-5
Formal Factory Approvals:

GM dexos1 (License No. GB1C0601081)
GMW 16181
License: API SN Resource Conserving
License: API SM Energy Conserving
ILSAC GF-5
Practiced and tested in accordance with the following fills:

Ford WSS-M2C946-A
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
Chrysler MS-6395

=======
RAVENOL FDS 5W-30

Licensed: API SL, API SL/CF
ACEA A1/B1
ACEA A5/B5
Formal Factory Approvals:

RENAULT RN0700
FORD WSS-M2C913-D
JAGUAR/LAND ROVER STJLR.03.5003

Ford WSS-M2C-913-C
Fiat 9.55535-G1
===========
RAVENOL FO 5W-30

API SN (RC)
ILSAC GF-5
ACEA A5/B5
Licensed: API SN Resource Conserving, ILSAC GF-5

FORD WSS-M2C913-B
FORD WSS-M2C913-A
FORD WSS-M2C-913-C
JAGUAR / LAND ROVER STJLR.03.5003
MAZDA
=============
=============

They are all full synthetic 5W30 oils. They all look very good and I would happily use them all.

The DXG is a SN & GF-5 & Dexos1 oil, similar to what is commonly available from many others. This would be my 3rd choice.
The FO is SN & GF-5 & A5/B5 & Ford WSS-M2C-913-C. This would be my 2nd choice.

The FDS is SL & A5/B5 & FORD WSS-M2C913-D. This would be my 1st choice. It's 913-D which is an improvement on the previous 913-C, and being SL I would assume it has the high ZDDP levels (>1000 ppm Zn) typical of this Ford oil.

Originally Posted By: SR5
From Ravenol
http://www.ravenol.de/uploads/media/FDS_5W-30_EN.pdf

Quote:
Ravenol Newsletter - 2016

BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON THE FORD WSS- M2C913-D AND RENAULT RN0700 SPECIFICATIONS:
The Ford WSS-M2C913-D specification was introduced in 2012. It superseded the previously applicable Ford specifications WSS- M2C913-C and 913-B, which had been aligned with the ACEA threshold values A5/B5 and A1/B1. The new specifications include increased requirements for the oils which are associated with this new approval.

The following additional tests and requirements were introduced with the Ford WSS-M2C913-D specification compared with ACEA specifications:
• TBN > 10 (A5/B5 only TBN >8)
• Ford-specific chain wear test
• Daimler oxidation test in accordance with DIN 51453
• ROBO Test in accordance with ASTM D 7528 or Seq. IIIGA in
accordance with ASTM D 7320
• Additional seal tests

Oils which comply with the WSS-M2C913-D specification are distinguished by an improved formulation and lower viscosity compared with the ACEA A5/
B5 specification, making it possible to reduce fuel consumption. Not only this, but the additional oxidation tests prescribed by Ford also prevent the oil from degrading too quickly due to added antioxidants, contributing to a longer engine service life compared with oils with the two previous Ford approvals.

The full synthetic 5W30 oils from Ravenol, some more details.

The DXG is a SN & GF-5 & Dexos1 oil.
(No data)

The FO is SN & GF-5 & A5/B5 & Ford WSS-M2C-913-C.
KV40 = 58.9 cSt
KV100 = 10.15 cSt
Noack = 10.4 %
TBN = 9.6
SA = 1.1 %
HTHS = ----

The FDS is API SL & A5/B5 & FORD WSS-M2C913-D.
KV40 = 58.35 cSt
KV100 = 10.2 cSt
Noack = 8.1 %
TBN = 9.9
SA = 1.2 %
HTHS = 3.0 cP

The WSS-M2C913-D oil has an excellent Noack Volatility of 8.1%

Shell Helix Ultra pro AF 5W30 is speced for this application.

From the TDS:

Originally Posted By: Shell
Main Application: Shell Helix Ultra AF 5W30 for petrol and diesel engines is approved against the technically challenging in-house Ford engine oil specification WSS-M2C-913 D.

Have used lots of Helix ultra products and can't rate them highly enough. Haven't used this one, as I'm required to use A3/B3 + C2/3 specs in my vehicles. I personally like their vertical intergeneration where Shell are large enough to produce their own base oils (GTL in this case) and their own additives. Unlike boutique blenders who rely on 3rd party base oil and additive suppliers. For example Nulon and Penrite both buy their base oils on the open market from Singapore (their words not mine) from various suppliers, price and availability dependant. Could be Mobil today, BP tomorrow and Petronas the next, you just don't know (obviously it all still cuts the mustard, but the consistancy cannot be confirmed. Shell Ultra always and only comes from the Pearl GTL plant. Single point supply.

Ford specs are a bit all over the place (which is unfortunate.) Shell don't claim an API rating, just the ACEA A5/B5, ford, landrover and Jag specs. Also note the Australian site is out of date and only claims WSS-M2C913-C. The actual bottles are labelled correctly on the shelf.

If you're in Perth you can find the best prices here: http://www.oilandenergy.com.au/ or Repco has it on the shelf in most locations @~$80 for 5L, but they often have 30% sales.

Sorry for sounding a bit like a Royal Dutch Shell employee (I'm not.) Just a fan of their product stack and a punter who has seen measurable improvements in fuel economy and oil consumption since making the switch.

Regards
Jordan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back