FRAM ULTRA® OIL FILTER xg2 by pass valve

Hi folks. On fram's website it states the XG2 has a by pass valve setting of 12. I assume that is 12 psi. If that is the opening pressure would that mean the valve would be open most of the time passing unfiltered oil or is there something I am missing. Thank you

From how you state your question, seems you think the bypass "PSI" is related to the engine oil pressure. It's not.

The bypass valve operates off the pressure difference across the filter, which has nothing to do with the engine's oil pressure reading.

No, that means that differential pressure across the media needs to be greater than 12 PSI for the bypass valve to open. That would require a lot of dirt/sludge in the media, and likely high RPMs with cold oil for it to open.

It should be 12 psi"D". This is the differential pressure between inlet and outflow. The difference between inlet and outflow will have to exceed a difference of 12 PSI before the by-pass valve opens.

3 people simultaneously gave the correct answer at 7:50 pm

50.gif

Originally Posted By: littleant
Thank you. So if my oil pressure entering my filter is 35 psi an leaving the filter at 30 psi back to the engine the valve will not open.

Correct, in that case the delta-p is 5 PSI. There would have to be a 12 PSI delta to open the bypass valve.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: littleant
Thank you. So if my oil pressure entering my filter is 35 psi an leaving the filter at 30 psi back to the engine the valve will not open.

Correct, in that case the delta-p is 5 PSI. There would have to be a 12 PSI delta to open the bypass valve.
Perfect thank you

Another misconception on here is that people think once the bypass pressure is reached, they panic!!

"ALL of my oil is going around the element!!!!!"
Not true - MOST of the oil is still going through the element.

Even if .0001% of the oil is going through the bypass valve,
it is "officially" in bypass mode,
even if 99.9999% of the oil is **STILL** going through the element.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Another misconception on here is that people think once the bypass pressure is reached, they panic!!

"ALL of my oil is going around the element!!!!!"
Not true - MOST of the oil is still going through the element.

Even if .0001% of the oil is going through the bypass valve,
it is "officially" in bypass mode,
even if 99.9999% of the oil is **STILL** going through the element.
Interesting read thank you

Back