Opinion About OCI and Mobil 1: Mechanics / Techs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive an 09 Tacoma with a V-6. One third city, two thirds rural driving. Have 250,000 miles, no oil loss or smoke. Have been using Mobil 1 5W-30 for last 220,000 miles with an 8000 mile OCI and Hastings filter (if I remember to look at the little sticker). Now that this engine has reached old fahrt status, is there any need to shorten up on the OCI? Thank you.

Last edited:
I’m far from an expert, sounds like your current oci is working fine. I’m assuming you’re using synthetic mobil 1. You are probably fine with that OCI. Don’t be like me, I made it to 4800 miles and changed mine today with 50% on my OLM..I just get anxiety that my oil is going bad. Then again I short trip a lot. Try an UOA from Blackstone.

Perhaps M1 HM to give the seals a bit more TLC … OCI could stay the same …

Not even sure I'd worry about moving to HM unless it becomes prudent from leaks or an increase in consumption. If your engine has that many miles and the your current oil+interval is keeping it clean inside, no reason to change.

This thread has more info, and I'm with the other guys; just keep doing what you're doing! Don't worry about the flush or any cleaning unless you see sludge, which you probably have little to none of anyway.

Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
I drive an 09 Tacoma with a V-6. One third city, two thirds rural driving. Have 250,000 miles, no oil loss or smoke. Have been using Mobil 1 5W-30 for last 220,000 miles with an 8000 mile OCI and Hastings filter (if I remember to look at the little sticker). Now that this engine has reached old fahrt status, is there any need to shorten up on the OCI? Thank you.

What does you UOA tell you?

I see the point of continuing with your current methods because they have proven - over the LONG haul - to work! With that being said, and I am a Mobil 1 user, I would go to the Hi-mileage Mobil 1 for not just the seal conditioners but that it's on the thich side of a 30wt oil which may be beneficial to your engine at those miles.

oil seals will fail at sometime,, a cheap change to hm oil wont hurt,, and maybe prolong those seals. but what do I know. oci keep the same.

Your oci has been trouble free so far. I’d dare and venture to say you can extend your oci by 2K. With a uoa first if ya like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back