Change The Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only put about 1000km (600 miles) on my 450 Nighthawk this year. The days are getting shorter and cooler now and I am going to be putting it into hibernation within the next couple of weeks. Should I change the oil/filter or leave it in for next season? The oil in it is Rotella T 15/40 non-synthetic.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Yep, leave it. Fill tank with gas and use Stabil.
Besides marketing claims what does Stabil really do?

Originally Posted By: CT8
You want clean oil in it for storage.

Yup, that is what I would do.
Change it now before storage. $20 is not that big of a deal.
Come next riding season, You can jump on it and go (provided you treat/drain the gas and tend the battery).

Would anything bad happen if you left it in another year, probably not.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
I only put about 1000km (600 miles) on my 450 Nighthawk this year. The days are getting shorter and cooler now and I am going to be putting it into hibernation within the next couple of weeks. Should I change the oil/filter or leave it in for next season? The oil in it is Rotella T 15/40 non-synthetic.

Too bad, cb .... I think I put on 600 miles last week.
cool.gif

I was over your way riding the river road - where do you live in Chatham?

A US qt. of Rotella T is $3.25 at TSC usually .. cheap oil change.

if you e-10 gas I would add NEUTRA by schaeffers before stabil, stabil has failed me several times...... to keep engine clean use neutra, just run with it in tank 30 miles or so before storage. then put new oil in crankcase. dirty oil will sludge engine over storage. WHY BECAUSE its dirty.

I usually do a late fall-winter storage-early spring oil change prior to putting my 2-wheeled death machines away; in past years I have ridden 350-750 miles prior to ending my season...never really had a problem; after pulling them out in the spring I average 250-500 additional miles and fo another oil change; did oil changes in the motorcycle & scooter today...the motorcycle went right into storage and can be ridden longer next year before needing an oil change; I'm keeping the scoot running a few more weeks until temps drop too low...

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: cb450sc

Too bad, cb .... I think I put on 600 miles last week.
cool.gif

I was over your way riding the river road - where do you live in Chatham?

A US qt. of Rotella T is $3.25 at TSC usually .. cheap oil change.

I love the drive along the Thames River as well but I also like that highway #3 run to Leamington. Stop for some lunch then head back to Chatham. I am on the north-east side of Chatham by CKSS (school)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back