Has anyone seen or tried Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will need to replace my winter tires (195/65R15) this season, and I have seen this new tire at the Tire Rack site. The reviews look good, and there is a Goodyear dealer nearby (walking distance from home) and there is a Goodyear rebate + more if you use yoru Goodyear credit card. I have picked up a few rebates just using the card for general repairs from these guys.

Anyway, this is a tire I could buy locally with rebates, so it looks interesting, and I was wondering if there is any feedback on it here.
I like to see on the Tire Rack site where the various sizes are made, and they list USA or Canada for my size (OK with me).

You couldn't pay me to use Goodyear anything. I have tried multiple of their all seasons and winter tires over the years and they are all poor performing and poor ride characteristics.

For winter I use Michelin X-Ice or Bridgestone Blizzak and have excellent traction. I need this because I drive all day long in some of the worst weather imaginable for my job.

In the other seasons I buy typically Bridgestone or some other quality riding, low wearing all season tire.

Last edited:
I haven't tried the Goodyear but, I'm using the Michelin X-ICE XI3 this year on the Fit. It's the same price as the Goodyear at
Tirerack in your size, has really good reviews and has a mileage warranty. It also handles much better on dry conditions than my previous Blizzaks did.

We always have standard bashings here. … but I have given away Michelin, Bridgestone, and Hankook tires … always ran my Goodyear tires. However I buy the top line and rain is my main criteria …

I have a set of four of them. They were used on my Lexus when it was still in Michigan. They're ok tires, not great. There are certainly ether winter tires out there to be sure, even in bargain brands. I do not like them as much as I liked my Hankook winter Ipike 409's. They wouldn't hold a candle to Xi3's or just about anything Bridgestone makes in a snow tire. If it tells you anything I couldn't sell my set of four mounted on rims with hub caps and lug nuts back home in Michigan for $250 OBO with 95% tread remaining on all 4. As a result I still have the, and live in Florida, but when I get home from Scotland for work the snow tires will be going on the Lexus to get used up. They're better than all season tires and they served their purpose on my car but I certainly wouldn't buy another set. I don't even feel bad burning them up in Florida.

These general statements are nonsense ~ they are on very expensive automotive applications to off-road, to heavyweight commercial applications …
The worst they produce are per OEM spec … and some of the worst I have had from several brands came with the vehicle …
(Same with Walmart spec tires) …

Originally Posted By: tomlct
I will need to replace my winter tires (195/65R15) this season, and I have seen this new tire at the Tire Rack site.

The Ultra Grip Ice 2 is the latest version (introduced during 2016, IIRC). From overseas tests I have seen, it is a very good ice tire, with better than average wet traction.

I thought I could help here, but I had Ultra Grip Ice WRTs and they look very different from the UGI.
I used them for 3 winter seasons and did right by me, I felt that they were a good choice for me as a driver who put a lot of dry and wet highway miles on winter tires along with seeing some pretty frightful winter conditions. I bought Nokian R2s on sale to replace them this past spring and noticed a big dropoff in dry braking with those, although they were well mannered on the highway and strike me as more "hardcore" winter tires than the WRTs.
I am running GY Eagle Sport AS tires the rest of the year and am very happy with those...GY is like any other major brand, they make some loser tires and some really good ones. Shop by the tire, not the brand.

First ever set of Winter tyres i had fitted to a car were UltraGrip

I think they were 8’s

I thought they were very good

Thanks to all for the feedback. The Saturn LW-200 that needs winter tires (I have had it for 13 years) came with Firestone Affinity, and I have had 2 sets of Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred & liked them, but to save some $$ I have lately been using Mastercraft (the Cooper house brand that Town Fair Tire carries), and they have been OK, also.
The current Winter tires have been on since 2010 or 2011 (Mastercraft) and there is still some tread left, which surprises me, but the tires just feel hard, so I have a feeling they are probably not so good in extreme cold & snow & icy conditions.
My 88 Dodge Aries (had since new) came with Goodyear Invicta and now has had Goodyear Assurance All Season for the past 2 years, and I like the ride of the old timer on them, and I was lucky that there were still a few choices in 14" tires (remember 14" tires?)

Bummer they don’t sell the Ultra Grip Ice 2 in the US. The big Scandinavian winter tire tests at Naf.no have had it on-par with the Nokians and Michelin’s and better than the Blizzaks the last couple years.

And interestingly the #2 tire in the 2017 NAF test was the Sava Eskimo Ice, also a Goodyear company.

Pretty sure they put those on our Land Cruisers in Romania ~ it was a tire rental that came out in big trucks with air tools and would swap/store the winter/summer tires/rims …

Good Year treats the United States like a third world country. There is no other explanation.
I tried numerous winter tires. Best by far were Continental TS series and Good Year Ultra Grip 4,5, 6, 7 and 7+. I did not own 8 and 9.
BUT, in the US you cannot buy those tires. They are made in Germany, Slovenia or Poland and sold in Europe.
I also owned Good Years in the US and after giving them three chances (bought them because of experience with GY in Europe) I said that NEVER, NEVER again I will buy any tire from Good Year or their subsidiaries in the US.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I have a set of four of them. They were used on my Lexus when it was still in Michigan. They're ok tires, not great. There are certainly ether winter tires out there to be sure, even in bargain brands. I do not like them as much as I liked my Hankook winter Ipike 409's. They wouldn't hold a candle to Xi3's or just about anything Bridgestone makes in a snow tire. If it tells you anything I couldn't sell my set of four mounted on rims with hub caps and lug nuts back home in Michigan for $250 OBO with 95% tread remaining on all 4. As a result I still have the, and live in Florida, but when I get home from Scotland for work the snow tires will be going on the Lexus to get used up. They're better than all season tires and they served their purpose on my car but I certainly wouldn't buy another set. I don't even feel bad burning them up in Florida.

I wanted to post a follow up on this. I installed mine this past week and they're actually GY Ultra Grip Ice WRT so to the OP they bear no relation to the tires you're seeking opinions on. However my opinion of this particular set remains unchanged. They're now on the car to get used up here in Florida.

The regular goodyear ultragrip winter are below average..

The Ultra Grip Ice WRT are decent but I wouldnt buy unless its a GREAT sale.
Better tires available cheaper.

I'd be looking at Michelin Xice xi3, Continental WinterContact SI, Blizzak WS-80, and possible a few others if they were on a great sale.. Dunlop winter MAXX.. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back