Conventional in a Mustang V8...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a 2006 Ford Mustang GT convertible a few days ago and as with all of us here we instantly start thinking what kinda of oil and other products we are going to use on it. Right now with my fleet I use conventional oil and Im thinking I wanna stick with that. So my question for you guys isnt is it ok or another oil recommendation I am wondering would you use something like Super Tech conventional oil in your dream car? I am at a cross roads in that its my dream car so it should get the best but at the same time Im a full believer in conventional oil and regular OCI's.

If the oil meets the required specifications for the engine and you use it in accordance with the change interval in your owner's manual then go for it.

Well of course it does meet requirements. My question isnt can I do it its would you put Super Tech conventional in YOUR dream car? I just feel like a **** putting cheap oil in my dream car even if I know deep down its good oil.

I'd run the Motorcraft synthetic blend, it's not that expensive. Even Walmart carries it.

What viscosity is recommended - 5W20?

I wouldn't put Supertech in anything. Premium oil is CHEAP. Treat her right,give her the good stuff,it's only a few bux more. Pennzoil Platinum is on rollback at Walmart right now.

dino will be just fine to use in the Mustang, but if you're near a Kmart, wait for the sales when they have Smitty's for $7-8 for the 5qt jug
smile.gif

If it meets the specs, I'd use it. I run conventional in all of my vehicles and I love them. You're not neglecting it!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
dino will be just fine to use in the Mustang
smile.gif

But would you do it? Would you dump Super Tech 5w-20 conventional into that sump or would YOU pay for better? Im not asking if I can do it Im asking if you guys would do that?

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Well of course it does meet requirements.

Does the Super Tech conventional shows the required Ford spec on the bottle? If not, I wouldn't run it.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
"Dream Car" -- Supertech Conventional Oil $11.97 for 5 quart jug. YOU DECIDE!!!
shocked.gif

Can you explain why the oil would be unsuitable? Technical reasons please, not emotional ones.

Chevron 10W-30. About $11 for a 5 quart bottle at Walmart. You'll need to pick up an extra quart since the capacity is 6 quarts. Now you're at $15. Fram Ultra for the filter. Now you're at $25.

Yes I know the required viscosity is 5W-20. I don't like 5W-20. I don't think it lubricates as well as 10W-30.

Yes it meets Ford spec. I checked over the owners manual as soon as I got home on that one.

If it meets Ford spec then should be OK, but I'd at least go for the MC synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
dino will be just fine to use in the Mustang
smile.gif

But would you do it? Would you dump Super Tech 5w-20 conventional into that sump or would YOU pay for better? Im not asking if I can do it Im asking if you guys would do that?

It doesn’t matter if any of us would do it. None of us own it. You do.

just do whatever gives you most piece of mind and be confident in your own decisions.

if you're chosing a position or getting mad a someones answer you already know what you wanted to hear so just do it.

that being said i haven't bought conventional in a decade even for my appliance car let alome dream car

anytime it gets to a syn vs conv argument, a way to help you examine where you stand in your heart of hearts is to imagine is there any benefit other than price? if someone said you can have 5qts for free, syn or conv; which do you take?

Last edited:
When my friends found out I had / have terminal cancer they bought me a 2013 Mustang GT with 7,000 miles on it it's a beautiful car loaded 3:73 gears Brembro brakes Racarro seats etc. I love the car but it is difficult for me to afford on disability. An 8 quart expensive synthetic oil change with filter is a bit rich for me right now esp with my drug co-pays are so freeking high! So I run what's on sale I picked up 8 quarts of Napa synthetic for $3.00 a quart last December and frankly it runs fantastic on this oil.

Would I run conventional ST oil in my 2013 GT yes I would! As long as it meets the requirements? I see no reason not to and I dought you would ever notice any difference. Although the ST synthetic is pretty cheep I would prob skip a few snacks for a week and put the $ to ST synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back