Front brake rotor shudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon BITOG faithful. So, last weekend I put carquest top of the line rotors and semi metallic pads on the 09' Camry. I get a brake shudder if hit brakes that you can feel a bit thru brake pedal. Explained situation to older co workers/mechanics I work with. They both agreed it's probably my rear rotors and pads as I looked at them last weekend and the rear pads are 6/32 and rotors didn't look bad. Maybe I'll do the rear rotors and pads tomorrow and see if that remedies the problem

I would bet that the grease in the slider pins cylinders is dried or baked. You should pull them out each brake job and clean, regrease for the best brake performance or else you will tend to wear one pad more than other and get shudder from the caliper binding. Had this issue after we took 11 Camry to mountains.

Originally Posted By: Aichiguy
I would bet that the grease in the slider pins cylinders is dried or baked. You should pull them out each brake job and clean, regrease for the best brake performance or else you will tend to wear one pad more than other and get shudder from the caliper binding. Had this issue after we took 11 Camry to mountains.

I re did the calipers or put new boots, bolts and slides in and on. Shudder isn't that bad just bit annoying is all.

If you feel it mostly in the seat or floor it's the rear brakes. You'll feel a front brake vibration through the steering wheel.

I had the same issue after I replaced mine. Shudder eventually went away on its own. If its not gone with the backs replaced I wouldnt be too concerned. I was thinking the rotor might of been bad.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
If you feel it mostly in the seat or floor it's the rear brakes. You'll feel a front brake vibration through the steering wheel.

Yeah, I'm gonna do rear brakes soon along with the wheel bearings
smile.gif

I'm guessing its a slick spot on the rotor (what many refer to as "warping"
grin.gif
). Pull the rotor off, spray it down real good with brake cleaner. put it back on, test. Bet its gone.

Originally Posted By: car51
They both agreed it's probably my rear rotors and pads as I looked at them last weekend and the rear pads are 6/32 and rotors didn't look bad. Maybe I'll do the rear rotors and pads tomorrow and see if that remedies the problem

You already did the rear brakes a few weeks ago:

Good evening BITOG faithful
smile.gif

So, I ordered rear rotors and pads for the camry of mine. Question I have and pardon my ignorance here but should I clean that grayish paint off the rotor or does it aid in bedding in the pads and rotors?

Thank for advice and info in advance
smile.gif

Happy Friday also

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
They both agreed it's probably my rear rotors and pads as I looked at them last weekend and the rear pads are 6/32 and rotors didn't look bad. Maybe I'll do the rear rotors and pads tomorrow and see if that remedies the problem

You already did the rear brakes a few weeks ago:

Good evening BITOG faithful
smile.gif

So, I ordered rear rotors and pads for the camry of mine. Question I have and pardon my ignorance here but should I clean that grayish paint off the rotor or does it aid in bedding in the pads and rotors?

Thank for advice and info in advance
smile.gif

Happy Friday also

Totally incorrect. Ordered and have rear rotors and pads. Rear rotors and pads are NOT NEW!

I will be doing rear rotors AND pads very soon
smile.gif

I ordered front rotors is what I meant to type in that thread; already had Advance/Carquest rotors. I installed new Advance rotors and pads for front of my Camry. Have NOT replaced rear rotors and pads YET

Ahh gotcha. It might be the brakes breaking in since they have protective paint on them. Esp if you feel the vibration in the steering wheel.
smile.gif

Did not read all the comments...have you cleaned your ABS sensors while doing brake job? (my personal issue when changing father brakes)
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Did not read all the comments...have you cleaned your ABS sensors while doing brake job? (my personal issue when changing father brakes)
wink.gif

This is not possible on most vehicles anymore since the sensors are usually integral/sealed inside the hub bearings.

Shudder comes from a few different sources:

1. Pad imprinting, from improper break-in or racing followed by complete stop(s) with very hot brakes.
2. Uneven pad build-up.

In both cases, the rotor develops more friction where there is more embedded pad material, and less where there is not.

If a rotor is mounted on a hub and not dialed in for minimum runout, this will happen on the high spots. Worst of all it'll happen on alternate sides/alternate ends of the rotor.

That's why every Factory Service Manual I've seen recommends checking runout on installation. The tool to use is a dial indicator. You can get a cheap one you don't need Starrett or Mitutoyo.

Your typical dealer, local shop, or home mechanic will gleefully ignore the FSM and tell you that "it's set at the factory" "never had a problem" and "we use quality parts" and of course you'll have the problem down the road, because it takes time to build up and develop. Unless the runout is really bad! Then they'll accuse you of running through a puddle with hot brakes, and charge you for another brake job. For the auto service industry, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back