No Sanctions for UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Cost them 20+ million to lawyer up and pay off (Bribe). But in the end it paid off...Emmert gets to keep his job, UNC, and other schools know that they can continue to cheat and the sports tail can continue to wag the academic dog. Its a beautiful thing
smirk.gif

Last edited:
It's simple, they out lawyered the NCAA and were prepared to do and pay more if the NCAA continued to push the issue. Proving the adage, he who has the best lawyers wins.

NCAA a fairly impotent organization at this point. That's why it's the FBI, not the NCAA that's now in the process of taking down college basketball, starting with the coaches.

Can someone remind me again why universities need sports in order to function? The last time I checked, a bachelor's, master's or PhD are obtained through study..not through physical activity.

The NCAA is acknowledged to be impotent if not corrupt. The worst part is the apparent disinterest the administration and trustees of UNC have expressed over these shenanigans considering the accrediting agency has put them on probation over it.

While I agree, this pales in comparison to the absolute evil that went on, knowingly, at PSU, for decades. I really don't care if a university cheats to get ahead, as compared to allowed, and covered up by top coaches and officials, child rape. And now the state is on the hook for pensions and legal defense of the perps. Truly disgraceful. UNC is small potatoes to me, others may have different agendas.

Last edited:
What irks me is how student athletes are held to a lower standard sometimes academically than non athletes in admissions and once enrolled/attending.

... from the NCAA, at least, since the fake courses weren't the athletic department's doing.

But they could possibly lose their accreditation, which is far worse than anything the NCAA could do to them
16.gif
15.gif
28.gif

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
What irks me is how student athletes are held to a lower standard sometimes academically than non athletes in admissions and once enrolled/attending.

Winning games is more important than good grades.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
While I agree, this pales in comparison to the absolute evil that went on, knowingly, at PSU, for decades. I really don't care if a university cheats to get ahead, as compared to allowed, and covered up by top coaches and officials, child rape. And now the state is on the hook for pensions and legal defense of the perps. Truly disgraceful. UNC is small potatoes to me, others may have different agendas.

You should have gone to college maybe it would taught you that one wrong does not excuse another. Oh wait another PSU hater..lol

Quote:
...But they could possibly lose their accreditation...

No, that ship has sailed and returned. UNC was put on one year academic probation in 2015 by SACS (accreditation association) because of courses, removed in 2016. So it's over as far as any accreditation sanctions go for this case.

As for the administration, since this took ~7 years many have changed. New chancellor and AD, Dept Chair and secretary mainly responsible for classes, long gone. Somewhat comical though, NCAA gave the dept chair a five year show cause, which is meaningless since he's retired and not in athletics.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
... from the NCAA, at least, since the fake courses weren't the athletic department's doing.

But they could possibly lose their accreditation, which is far worse than anything the NCAA could do to them
16.gif
15.gif
28.gif

. Right.....the coaching staff didn’t know the players were taking basket weaving courses as well as having tutors do all their work! UNC had their 2017 National Championship banner hung from the rafters in Chapel Hill last night in front of a packed house. All is well in Chapel H-ll. “Ol Roy “ was grinning like a mule eating a mouth full of briers and my tax money is paying his multi million dollar salary! Pitino is done at Louisville, and most likely college basketball, finally! Several assistants were let go last month from Az to Ca for several different basketball recruiting infractions. The NFL is a league of rich felons, domestic abusers, and disrespectful thugs! Rant over. I gotta get back to watching the Auburn-LSU game.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Can someone remind me again why universities need sports in order to function? The last time I checked, a bachelor's, master's or PhD are obtained through study..not through physical activity.

The biggest state university Football and Basketball programs (top 25 schools) bring in a huge amount of money to the university...most being very profitable to start with. Big donors pony up for that kind of stuff. It's a drawing card for more donations to build more student facilities and the best students too.

+1. I don't even have any idea of the situation that OP is commenting on.

All college sports should be club activities paid as an addendum to tuition, or via a separate athletic endowment specific to that sport. No tuition assistance should be given on any grounds but academic.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

The biggest state university Football and Basketball programs (top 25 schools) bring in a huge amount of money to the university...most being very profitable to start with. Big donors pony up for that kind of stuff. It's a drawing card for more donations to build more student facilities and the best students too.

Best students? Lol.

You must not understand how the real, academic portion of a University works.

But I'm sure you can guess... money. As in grant work, as in funded research and published papers and graduated students with advanced degrees. That's how a tier status works in the real side of a university.

And only the tiniest fraction, if any athletes in most of these programs are of the caliber of student to go on to achieve such things for their school or go to grad school.

Sure, sports bring money, but title IX killed many men's varsity sports and sent the equivalent of football and basketball budgets into unprofitable women's sports with huge numbers of women getting scholarships to perform poorly on lousy teams.

But that's not really a gig on women's sports. Women should have the same opppirtunity to play sports as men. Thing is, none of it should come from the University's funds, particularly fir scholarships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back