Last of the 'ol Pennzoil "Long Life"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down to my last 2 gallons of Pennzoil 15w-40 "Long Life". Acquired about 10 cases (40gal) for around .50/gal from a company I worked for that went bankrupt as we were clearing out the shops. We used to keep a couple of jugs in the trucks to top-up standby generators in various building we owned. Oil is probably around 15 y/o and predates the Shell takeover, but appears perfect when I pour it. I have been using it for years in my Honda and Yamaha bikes and the old '93 Buick. I really like the "Fun-L-Flo" jugs!

Drew

oil can "look" good but not be good!! don't know if its bull or not but oils are said to have a shelf life!!! surely not that long!!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
oil can "look" good but not be good!! don't know if its bull or not but oils are said to have a shelf life!!! surely not that long!!!!

Closed jug, no moisture, what would make it go bad? The base was in the ground for millions of years. I'd run it in all my ope if i had it.

Last edited:
My father ran that oil exclusively in his Ford Econoline 460 V8 powered van since new in 1987 it would use 2 quarts of 10w30 every 3,000 miles when new. Then he switched to the Pen long life 15w40 and his consumsion went down to half a quart every 3k. He retired the truck with 325,000 miles still running great.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: benjy

Closed jug, no moisture, what would make it go bad? The base was in the ground for millions of years. I'd run it in all my ope if i had it.

+1000 as I hand pumped out some 20 gallons of Citgo synblend 10w30 from his shop he closed down. Used many quarts of this in the 97' Bonneville with no ill effects

Must be pre Shell Pennzoil because when Shell bought them up they discontinued all the Pennzoil diesel oils in favor of their Rotella. I've never even seen Pennzoil diesel oil until now. Wonder how good it is, any UOA or VOA's on the stuff?

Wow, as soon as I saw the funnel spout I had a random flashback to being a little kid in a Kmart seeing these jugs. Had no idea what the purpose of oil was, just thought it was neat looking.

Kmart + Pennzoil long life funnel snout bottle = not 2017. Ha!

I love those bottles. Even the ones that didn't have the funnel, just the square-bottom gallon bottles were great.

Keep those, they will be a real collectors item some day.

Originally Posted By: jj51702
Cool jug. Did it work well in preventing spills?

The spout worked well on bigger engines esp. the diesels because you could hold it to the engine fill hole before tipping the jug. The bikes have a little fill hole so I always use a funnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back