Best 10W-30 synthetic for air cooled Kohler

I like Amsoil 10W30 MCT (or Metric) Motorcycle oil (which I have used), better statistically on paper than their Four Stroke Small Engine Oil (which I have not tried), that a few others have recommended. Probably splitting hairs, here. Reasons:

11.2 cst@100C, 244C Flash point, 3.5 HTHS (higher than Four Stroke), TBN 11.6 (more than Four Stroke), NOACK 5.8. What's not to like here?

I have used it on Kawasaki small engine powered lawn equipment and a Honda EU6500is air cooled generator. Worked beautifully for me. It it is formulated for a high rpm motorcycle, so it has to be overkill for any outdoor power equipment. It is also a 10W30, just like Kohler recommends.

By the way, I believe there is a such animal as a Synthetic 15W40. Amsoil lists a Signature Series Max Duty 15W40 (DME) on their web site. Don't know anything about it. Maybe someone else knows. It lists a HTHS of 4.5!

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
Don't have anything to add to the oil recommendationss, but I'm curious what you're using the engine for?

1983 JD 212. I restored it a couple years ago, and it gets it's share of hard work. Along with the mowing, it gets snowthrower and tiller use.

I believe one thing that's hard on these flatheads is the cant it puts on the piston during combustion from the shape of the combustion chamber. Seems to favor one side of the piston slightly more than the other, so reducing skirt wear is crucial.

I have been curious to see tests between the Amsoil 4-cycle 10W-30 and the Rotella.

I have a fleet of John Deere garden tractors with the Kohler K series engines.
I have been running them on the Amsoil 10w30 Formula 4 stoke small engine oil.
Seems to work well in them, one I have had over 10 years and still running great!

Last edited:
I'm going to place an order with Amsoil...just for sake of discussion, how does the small engine 10W-30 compare to the synthetic 15W-40 diesel oil? I didn't know Amsoil had 15W-40 max-duty diesel 100% synthetic oil.....as well as 100% synthetic 10W-30 diesel oil
smile.gif

I'm going to get some small engine 10W-30, just also looking at this diesel oil for air cooled gassers.

Last edited:
I'd run ASF Small engine oil if wanting something thicker or blend ASE & ASF. ACD is only available in gallons.

My pushmower brigs is 27 years old running on leftovers and anything. I do use single grade top oil in her. About a 2/3 capful per tank.

Just saying them small engines don't care about oil much.
5Hp horizontal shaft and Bigger they do.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
I like Amsoil 10W30 MCT (or Metric) Motorcycle oil (which I have used), better statistically on paper than their Four Stroke Small Engine Oil (which I have not tried), that a few others have recommended. Probably splitting hairs, here. Reasons:

11.2 cst@100C, 244C Flash point, 3.5 HTHS (higher than Four Stroke), TBN 11.6 (more than Four Stroke), NOACK 5.8. What's not to like here?

I have used it on Kawasaki small engine powered lawn equipment and a Honda EU6500is air cooled generator. Worked beautifully for me. It it is formulated for a high rpm motorcycle, so it has to be overkill for any outdoor power equipment. It is also a 10W30, just like Kohler recommends.

By the way, I believe there is a such animal as a Synthetic 15W40. Amsoil lists a Signature Series Max Duty 15W40 (DME) on their web site. Don't know anything about it. Maybe someone else knows. It lists a HTHS of 4.5!

Interesting idea. I've been using ASE (Four Stroke) in our fleet of commercial mowers. I'd switch to MCT if it is even better in this application. I wonder if the ASE might have more detergents though, being designed for neglected and dirty-use engines? They both contain anti-rust properties. Both claim lots of anti-wear ingredients. I sent an email to Amsoil asking to compare/contrast the two for my application, but have not heard back. Maybe Pablo can contrast the two beyond the obvious numbers on the data sheets.

Originally Posted By: lukejo

Interesting idea. I've been using ASE (Four Stroke) in our fleet of commercial mowers. I'd switch to MCT if it is even better in this application. I wonder if the ASE might have more detergents though, being designed for neglected and dirty-use engines? They both contain anti-rust properties. Both claim lots of anti-wear ingredients. I sent an email to Amsoil asking to compare/contrast the two for my application, but have not heard back. Maybe Pablo can contrast the two beyond the obvious numbers on the data sheets.

Just so you know, Amsoil recently came out with a 10w40 Small engine oil aimed towards the commercial mower market.
I have some I'll be using in my JD 317 I recently repowered with a Briggs Vanguard v twin.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m.../?code=ASFQT-EA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cronk

Just so you know, Amsoil recently came out with a 10w40 Small engine oil aimed towards the commercial mower market.
I have some I'll be using in my JD 317 I recently repowered with a Briggs Vanguard v twin.

Yep, I've used it along with ASE. Still curious re MCT though. Still no response from Amsoil.

Yep, I've used it along with ASE. Still curious re MCT though. Still no response from Amsoil.
I'm very interested in the answer as well.

Yes, that is quite interesting, very curious to their response.

I wonder if the formulation also aims toward the motorcycles wet clutches.

Well, I had the same questions as you two did. I also did get a response from them. The response was basically:

" The 10W30 ASE, Small Engine Oil gets the Amsoil recommendation, because it has a lower NOACK than their MCT Metric 10W30 Motorcycle OIl (3.3 vs 7.2). So it would result in less engine oil consumption. This is an appeal to lawn care users and other small engine users, due to their small engine oil sump. Due to normal operating conditions, either oil would be more than adequate."

In MY applications, since my Kawasaki and Honda small engines, oil consumption is not an issue. Consequently, I preferred to use their 10W30 Metric Motorcycle Oil with the higher (11.6 TBN, and slightly higher HTHS of 3.5). In the SE USA which is Hurricane prone, perhaps I could run it a bit longer in my Honda EU6500is generator before an oil change.

Splitting hairs here, but this is BITOG. What say you?

I happened to see that one Cronk.

Just so you know. Amsoil also has a 10W40 Motorcycle oil (MCF). It has a higher listed HTHS than that one (4.7 vs 4.4). TBN is also higher (11.6 vs 8.5 for the 10W40 Small engine oil). Flash point about the same. NOACK is worse, however (7.2 vs 3.7 for the 10W40 small engine oil).

This is America. Great to have choices, isn't it?

The super low NOACK is nice! Small engines need that low NOACK. Especially generators and other stationary engines that have a high use/monitor ratio.

ASF looks like the stuff for Florida generators cracking all day and night during a power outage.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Was just looking at ASE and ASF. Daaaaaaaayum. Impressive oil. I know what I'm going to be using from now on for my small gas guys.
I've been running ASE for years and now the only 4stroke oil that goes in my high end equipment.

Last edited:
Back