Is OEM Air Filter the "BEST"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the consensus here that OEM air filters offer the best engine protection (regardless of increased hp or torque claims)? Are OEM air filters the best at keeping out damaging particles while allowing the engine to function as it was designed to function?

Originally Posted By: HangFire
You want a consensus on EVERY OEM brand, type, year, generation of air filters? Ever?
Good point! Some OEM filters might be better than others.

For my application yes! I have purchased a dozen various brands and compared them to Mitsubishi OEM. OEM in most cases was cheaper and better quality. Although, I'm not a scientist, it's just my personal belief. I do have faith in the Japanese. Different strokes for different folks. That's what my grandfather always said.....

Respectfully,

Pajero!

OEM filters generally will flow more air than the engine can use to make power. I'm not sure what other criteria you would use with regard to which is "best" but that one is good enough for me. Modern OEM filters are designed to flow enough air to support the rated power during the full life of the filter (that is, when dirty, and before the recommended replacement mileage).

Since air intake filters are more effective (filter down to smaller particle size) when dirty versus brand new, I often wonder how some people determine which is "best" in the first place. Pressure drop and AFM are reasonable tools to use, guessing or appearance is not.

Plus, and this is so commonly proven that it's surprising it needs mentioning, but having a filter flows more air and generates more HP/Torque than running open (remove the filter), regardless of whether the engine is stock or modified, including highly modified.

Aftermarket filters (K&N, etc) are useful if you are building a motor that is used off-road and therefore you have no OEM intake restrictions and will use an aftermarket air cleaner or intake tract, and can help a highly modified motor when carefully chosen (often that means ditching the OEM filter housing and intake tract). For a stock or mildly modified motor, it's just bling. Not that they are bad filters ... they're not ... but they are not likely to be an improvement over OEM; they can't "grab" more air if that flow potential doesn't exist.

It depends on who the OEM is. As a general rule, the OE filter is the best compromise between lifespan, filtration efficiency and CFM.

There are filters that excel in these areas, but it is unusual to find one who outperforms the OE in ALL areas simultaneously.

YOUR QUOTE "I often wonder how some people determine, I often wonder how some people determine which is "best" in the first place." and so on
Bingo...couldnt have said it better

In the post above yours "Pajaro" said what many say: "I just have personal belief,faith and trust." None of which are based on fact.

Its easy to do ,but careless.I catch mysel fwanting to rationalize the same way, from time to time. Its the easiest way out ..short term,but not longterm.

Last edited:
years ago GM air filters used to be some of the best. Fram never seemed to get dirty. Drove a lot of gravel roads, AC filters got dirty the fastest, and at the dealer were cheaper than at NAPA. So it can happen.

Like anything, times have changed. No idea now.

I use mostly OEM air filters and never OEM oil filters … the stores are pushing STP or Framair filters …
I have bought Wix at Napa and look well made …

I'm wondering how to find out more info about air filters. From my reasoning, the "only" way dirt can get into your oil is through the air filter.

In short, no they are not the best. They are the cheapest to manufacture though, so over Billions of cars produced... think about every dollar you save over that amount of vehicles.

There are filters that provide better filtration and air flow than OEM and are reusable.

The OEM air filter on my Pilot was filthy in 20k miles and I don't live in a particularly dusty/dirty area. I replaced it with a Fram and 25k miles later it still looks good. I basically only use Fram air filters now since they work well and are easy to find.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
The OEM air filter on my Pilot was filthy in 20k miles and I don't live in a particularly dusty/dirty area. I replaced it with a Fram and 25k miles later it still looks good. I basically only use Fram air filters now since they work well and are easy to find.

Wouldn't that indicate just the opposite?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: mclasser

Wouldn't that indicate just the opposite?

That's what I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back