Bosch D3422 cut @ 5,544 Miles, oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Filter was installed on an S-series 1.9 liter DOHC for about 2.5 months. I wonder if the oil report would have been any different if the seam was intact. The numbers are not horrible but...

Glad the filter was made in the US instead of China; just suggesting that COO 'seems' to have little to do with bad products in this case.

Sigh.
I bought several of these on clearance since they seemed to have been of better construction than the other Puro made filters.
I have one in use on my brother in laws truck, and 3-4 more in my stash. I will still use them for 5000 mile changes.

I will say that it was an unusually tight fit in the can so I will give it the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was not this bad in operation.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers

Dang ... Ripolator, a step below a Tearolator.
wink.gif

FWIW this is the oversize for this car. (I ran them too, but it's not the stock fitment.)

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Now that's a tear!
crazy2.gif

Didn't seem to have an impact on the UOA.

Even the killer of all things the cut ADBV had little effect either???????
Maybe that isn't the death rattle its been thought to be.

Well....snap.

I just bought 3 of these on clearance at walmart.

Going to need to think about if I really want to use them now. I bought them for use on my parents car....

Me too … but in lawn tractor and transmission sizes … so no $xxxx motor at risk …

That filter had open heart surgery and the UOA was fine. Those Puros with paper cut equivalent tears must not be the end of the world after all.
28.gif

If it gives rise to filter questions ~ why does it not give rise to UOA questions?

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I wonder if the oil report would have been any different if the seam was intact. The numbers are not horrible but...

You have a UOA from the same place with the same oil with a filter that didn't tear for comparison?

Good point ~
that oil had to keep stuff tied up for extra circulation time with that hole taking a pretty good portion of the net flow

A UOA would not show anything really unusual at this time. Just too early I believe. It would show up much later on I would think in terms of wear.

I bought some on clearance too. Running them now. Made in 2013. No start up rattle or issues
smile.gif
We will see how it fares when I cut it come spring.

Looks like a fair bit of iron in that oil.

The media must've caught essentially everything it would've caught without the rip, but only after the particles in question made an extra trip or three through the oiling system.

Was the rip that wide when first observed, or was it posed that way for emphasis?

Just look at that crud trapped in the pleats. Since flowing liquids would take the path of least resistance, I'd say the filter did its job just fine and the tear occurred very shortly before you did the oil and filter change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back