I Don't Understand the Polaris Slingshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going to preach safety since I ride and mc's are inherently unsafe, but having seen a Slingshot they are as low visibility as a motorcycle and just look hazardous in traffic.

welcome2.gif

To the club of people who just don't get other's attraction to these sorts of things.
It has all of the negatives of both cars and motorcycles and just about none of the positives.

I don't either.

9/10 Slingshots I see downtown here are covered in colored lights, huge stereos, and chrome wheels. They're exclusively driven in huge groups in an obnoxious and [censored]-like manner. I absolutely hate those things.

I've also seen some videos of people rolling them over -- they're not as stable as a car.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
A Slingshot doesn't look any less visible than a Miata convertible. Seems like a mid-life crisis kinda thing.

Exactly. And you have to give it an entire garage bay, pretty much, for the off season.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I don't either.

9/10 Slingshots I see downtown here are covered in colored lights, huge stereos, and chrome wheels. They're exclusively driven in huge groups in an obnoxious and [censored]-like manner. I absolutely hate those things.

I've also seen some videos of people rolling them over -- they're not as stable as a car.

I was visiting Chicago with a buddy recently and some maniac almost killed himself when he was trying to pass our rental car on the right through empty parking spaces on a Slingshot while we were driving to New Comiskey (or whatever that park is called now).
Of course, it was all my buddy's fault and the moron screamed and waved his fist at us for half a mile after his attempted suicide failed.

Maybe it has super fast acceleration or something, not sure. From a visual stand point it doesn't do anything for me. Then adding some of thos expensive options doesn't make it look any better either imo. Just looks like foolish decidion making.

if drivers paid attention to driving instead of all the gadgets in todays cars + not to mention cell phones that cause a LOT of accidents we would all be SAFER!!! cell phone useage of any find SHOULD be banned while driving!!!!

A Slingshot doesn't look any less visible than a Miata convertible. Seems like a mid-life crisis kinda thing.

They are less visible, though, when seen in person rolling in traffic.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

They are less visible, though, when seen in person rolling in traffic.

There's a black one and red one locally I see all the time. Not to argue but here are the specs:

Slingshot:
Overall Vehicle Height 51.9 in/1318 mm
Overall Vehicle Length 149.6 in/3800 mm
Overall Vehicle Width 77.9 in/1980 mm
Wheelbase (in/mm) 105.0 in/2667 mm

Miata:
Height 48.8 in.
Length 154.1 in.
wheelbase 90.9 in.
Width 68.3 in.

They seem to be a LOOK AT ME thing.

Originally Posted By: benjy
if drivers paid attention to driving instead of all the gadgets in todays cars + not to mention cell phones that cause a LOT of accidents we would all be SAFER!!! cell phone useage of any find SHOULD be banned while driving!!!!

Great idea! I couldn’t agree more. Now, how do you enforce it?

I've driven a Slingshot, and most other three-wheeled machines. None of them really do much for me. They don't lean into a turn like a Motorcycle, and they don't have the traction at the rear to handle like a good sports car.

I'll stick with my Sportbikes, and sports car for now.

Yeah I don't really get it, or the CanAm Spyder, either...they seem to have all the disadvantages of a bike - you get wet when it rains, it's always too hot or too cold, not much protection in a crash, etc., AND all the disadvantages of a car - too wide to filter through traffic, can't do wheelies, takes up lots of space in the garage, etc. Not my thing, but hey, each to their own
smile.gif

The only advantage I can see is they don't tip over if you forget to put your foot down when you stop. Could be why older folks mostly seem to ride them.
I figure when I get that old I'll quit riding.

Smoky

Well I won't stop ridding just because I can't swing my leg over a bike and not fall over, 3 wheels would do it for me. Although more likely a sidecar for me....I've got one in the shed somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back