Calcium sulfonate NGLI 0 grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently this grease is made of unobtainium. I have some valve actuators that call for this oddball spec grease for their gearbox. The only places I am finding a slight mention of this is Exxon Nebula EP-0 which appears to be a Canadian thing that is only needed to meet nuclear specs. It also call out MOV Long Life grease which only seams to be Canada thing with only three US distributers. Does anyone know anything about these oddball greases?

This thing also calls for Mobilgrease 28 for another portion of the actuauator.

Someone has pumped these actuators full of regular lithium ngli 2 so I have to figure out a way to clean them out. The manual calls for yet another oddball product to flush the gearbox. Exxon Varsol #18.

Last edited:
Call the manufacturer and see if you can talk to a hands on field service engineer. He can tell you where to get GL 1 calcium sulfonate or recommend a substitute. He can also tell you if anyrhing bad will happen if you leave the lithium GL 2 in there. My guess is that it will be OK. There is a real chance that somebody will screw something up tearing into a bunch of actuators and flushing them.

Varsol is just mineral spirits according to Google.

I believe this Iowan is pulling our leg. "Unobtanium?" If you have a question about proper lubricant for a valve operator(MOV), call the manufacturer. You are referring to a Limitorque valve operator, right? We had many Limitorque valve operators installed at generating stations where I worked and I can tell you they are a mystery to most maintenance and operations people. If this is a legitimate inquiry, I suggest you refer to the operating manuals that were supplied(or should have been supplied) by the engineering company that designed and built the facility. I believe the Limitorque operators at our station used a Calcium Complex NLGI 0 grease . Many of these valve operators were used on very hot steam and feedwater piping and the #0 grease tended to weep through the gaskets and seals. I'd like to have a dollar for every maintenance request I ever handled that had something to do with valve operators leaking oil. That is what they do. Wipe it up.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I believe this Iowan is pulling our leg. "Unobtanium?" If you have a question about proper lubricant for a valve operator(MOV), call the manufacturer. You are referring to a Limitorque valve operator, right? We had many Limitorque valve operators installed at generating stations where I worked and I can tell you they are a mystery to most maintenance and operations people. If this is a legitimate inquiry, I suggest you refer to the operating manuals that were supplied(or should have been supplied) by the engineering company that designed and built the facility. I believe the Limitorque operators at our station used a Calcium Complex NLGI 0 grease . Many of these valve operators were used on very hot steam and feedwater piping and the #0 grease tended to weep through the gaskets and seals. I'd like to have a dollar for every maintenance request I ever handled that had something to do with valve operators leaking oil. That is what they do. Wipe it up.
banana2.gif

I was referring to the fact that it is a hard to find grease. I finally found that lubriplate makes it. I don't want to have to pay for the nuclear spec stuff. These valves aren't in a hot environment. Even the lubriplate stuff is over $800 for a five gallon bucket.

Last edited:
Kendall markets a calcium sulfonate but I believe it's a #2 grade. Check their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back