BG Engine Assurance: Someone talk me out of this

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm skeptical of this, but wanted to hear other opinions.

https://www.bgprod.com/programs/engine-assurance/

Cliff's:
- Get your first BG oil change (includes some kind of flush/additives/whatever) before 80k miles
- Repeat every 10k miles at most
- If the engine EVER fails, they contribute up to $3,000 to the repair. Unlimited time, unlimited miles.

$3,000 covers most of the cost of a full engine replacement with a Mazda reman.

I'm at 75k miles now, with 2 years and 25k miles left on the original Mazda engine warranty. There's a Mazda dealership near me that does these services, and they confirmed that there'd be no implications for the Mazda warranty if I have the work done there, as long as I stick to Mazda-recommended OCIs.

So, why not get this done every 7,500 miles (max OCI per Mazda) for the remainder of the Mazda warranty, and then every 10,000 miles afterward?

Extended OCIs with potential snake oil sounds like a bad idea, especially for a rotary engine, right?

But, assuming I've done the math correctly... with $3k of engine coverage, factoring in the more expensive but less frequent oil changes, it'd basically have to cut my engine's lifespan by two-thirds or more to not be worth it. I can't imagine it being THAT bad.

What am I missing?

They do this service at a Mazda dealership? I would suspect this guy gets a commission on every sale.

Why would you want to put some unknown stuff in your rotary engine?

I'm in the NO camp. Just use good oil.

Almost everything BG offers is worthless overpriced garbage. Just use any SN oil
smile.gif

Guys, if the only reason to be repelled by this is that it seems weird, I have that covered. More nonspecific expressions of disgust don't help me. Nor do knee-jerk reactions based on skimming my post rather than reading it in full.

Where's the hole in the logic I laid out?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Guys, I'm perfectly capable of being repelled by this just because it seems weird. More nonspecific expressions of disgust don't help me. Where's the hole in the logic I laid out?

You are assuming your engine will fail so you can then get $3000 towards the cost of a reman. How many engines fail due to lubrication ?

Go ahead and do it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What's the catch? A $100 oil change.

Which will get done half as often. And the top-off oil I'd use would be cheaper.

Either way, as I said, I already factored that in.

What is the back story on a 100K engine warranty; I thought I read there were a lot of renesis failures; at one time i thought I read it was 25-30% Perhaps this is a mitigation strategy suggested by Mazda. Certainly worth some research on rx forums. Might be worth it.

Last edited:

What am I missing?

Nothing, your logic towards you being skeptical is right on.

I don't think the ROI is on the positive side.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
You are assuming your engine will fail so you can then get $3000 towards the cost of a reman. How many engines fail due to lubrication ?

Go ahead and do it.

I can tell you're not familiar with RX-8s.
wink.gif

Assuming I drive 15k miles per year, this service every 10k will cost me about $85 more per year than DIY oil changes every 5k with spec oil. 3000 / 85 = 35 (roughly). So, as long as the engine fails within 35 years or 525k miles, I'll get back more than the extra I'll have spent. Probably safe to say an RX-8 engine will fail at least once within that interval.

I use some BG products and they work well. What's the beef against BG ... Do BG haters not use MMO too ... Or Kreen ...

Your engine will likely last a long time either way. If you think you'll still have it when it expires, go for it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
What is the back story on a 100K engine warranty; I thought I read there were a lot of renesis failures; at one time i thought I read it was 25-30% Perhaps this is a mitigation strategy suggested by Mazda. Certainly worth some research on rx forums. Might be worth it.

Early Renesis engines were awful. Early remans were much worse. At some point, the fiasco caused Mazda to extend the warranty on the engine itself to 8 years/100k miles from in-service date.

For 2009+, they made a ton of changes that addressed every known failure mode. The changes are so extensive that you can't swap the new engine into the old car without bringing over all the electronics. The failure rate for 2009+ seems much lower, though the engines still aren't exactly bulletproof. Mine was just replaced under warranty at ~75k miles (though it was probably a demo car and could have been thrashed during break-in).

I did post the same question on RX8Club.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Go ahead and do it.

I can tell you're not familiar with RX-8s.
wink.gif

Assuming I drive 15k miles per year, this service every 10k will cost me about $85 more per year than DIY oil changes every 5k with spec oil. 3000 / 85 = 35 (roughly). So, as long as the engine fails within 35 years or 525k miles, I'll get back more than the extra I'll have spent. Probably safe to say an RX-8 engine will fail at least once within that interval.

Sorry. I am not in the habit of buying vehicles with a certain engine failure happening. I'm not going to confirm your study. Do what you want.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

What am I missing?

Nothing, your logic towards you being skeptical is right on.

I don't think the ROI is on the positive side.

Because?

My BG rep was solid and I've never seen any negatives from using their products. They make quality additives and one of the best Universal ATFs you can buy.

If you follow the BG plan I have no reason to believe that they won't follow through.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I use some BG products and they work well. What's the beef against BG ... Do BG haters not use MMO too ... Or Kreen ...

Your engine will likely last a long time either way. If you think you'll still have it when it expires, go for it
smile.gif

Not sure how much of this is BG hate vs. "looks like it might be a scam, therefore it must be a scam."

Looks to me like it's mostly the latter.

Hoping someone chimes in with some real reasons that have anything to do with what I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back