Mixing Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, bought a case of Schaeffer 0W-20 oil that I don't really want to use anymore and I've already used 4 quarts of it, so can't return it. I want to start using a dexos1 gen 2 oil in my CR-V, protect against LSPI. It takes 3.7 quarts per change, and was wondering if I could use 3 quarts of a dexos oil and then put 0.7 quarts of Schaeffer to top it off and finish off the case. That cool?

V

Yup, one of those newish turbo engines. Was hesitant in getting the turbo due to LSPI, but the CR-V for the family is pretty sweet. Probably upgrade before we even see any issues, but till then I want a dexos1 gen2 oil in it.

Thy are all mixable, no problem at all. I have the same engine but in Civic and running no -LSPI oil - no issues at all. Although planning to go higher on the grade to offset fuel dilution and make it sound better. So far my leaning towards new Amsoil formulation 5w30

I've thought about that too, but then I worry about deviating from what Honda recommends. I'm always a stick to the rules kind of guy.

You need to do the special ritual and prayer to the oil gods before mixing them. Then send BITOG a donation. That's how it works.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
It is a requirement of API oils that they mix with other API oils, so yes, you are fine.

Yes, it's a requirement that they can be mixed without blowing chunks or splitting like salad dressing...after that, all bets are off.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: dparm
It is a requirement of API oils that they mix with other API oils, so yes, you are fine.

Yes, it's a requirement that they can be mixed without blowing chunks or splitting like salad dressing...after that, all bets are off.

thumbsup2.gif

Most any engine oil will mix with any another engine oil.

After mixing, additive compatibility may be an issue with some oils.

I just witnessed how 33 different oils (syn, semi syn, mineral) in different viscosities (from 0w20 to 10w60) got all mixed in to a 8qt sump on a supercharged Land Rover. UOA is coming after 3k miles. I'll post it here once I have access to it. Mixing oils WILL NOT kill your engine. It will just create an oil that is adequate enough for a 5k mile run. Extended OCI is where you would start seeing issues though.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
I just witnessed how 33 different oils (syn, semi syn, mineral) in different viscosities (from 0w20 to 10w60) got all mixed in to a 8qt sump on a supercharged Land Rover. UOA is coming after 3k miles. I'll post it here once I have access to it. Mixing oils WILL NOT kill your engine. It will just create an oil that is adequate enough for a 5k mile run. Extended OCI is where you would start seeing issues though.

And what would that mix have done at -30 to -40 degrees ?

And As I've demonstrated before through SAE papers, sometimes, not very often, but sometimes, really bad things happen due to the interactions of PPDs and VIIs...oh, and it killed the engines.

Last edited:
Don't mix. Topping off with a random quart is one thing. Dumping all your leftover half bottles into the crankcase for a short oci is probably fine and I understand the reasoning there. Thinking you can outdo professional engineers in designing a lube package by mixing finished oils is arrogant and ignorant. You don't know what you are ending up with in your mix.

There are many excellent oils on the shelf with certifications that prove they perform to those standards. Pick one that suits your application and use it.

You're making the assumption that a dexos licensed oil would offer better resistance to LSPI than would the Schaeffer's.
Schaeffer's makes good oil, so this assumption may not be warranted.
If your assumption is correct, then why would you want to contaminate the dexos oil with one more prone to LSPI?
I'd personally use the Schaeffer's, but if you really don't want to then sell it.
If I lived anywhere near you, I'd consider buying it from you since I have two 0W-20 engines ATM and neither is DI or turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back