hollow bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil BP40. I don't see any info on what is on the connecting end? Female threads?size? If anyone knows I would like to know. I am trying to figure out an oil return setup to the valve cover cap.Thanks!

Amsoil BP40 Fitting, Self-tapping hollow bolt.

Doesn't look like NPT (too aggressive) but it's a self-tapping hollow fitting, pretty self-explanatory.

What does it connect to? That will be your inside thread.

An NPT fitting would probably work fine for the "self-tapping" replacement (drill an appropriate sized hole and in she goes). So whatever female thread to NPT adapter should be perfect.

You could be a little more verbose; as we would say to our excited children "Use your words". Why should I have to Google "Amsoil BP40" when you KNEW it was a fitting for the Amsoil bypass system and just didn't want to tell us? That kind of post doesn't often get replies, just sayin'

Did you try asking Amsoil, or do you think it's a State Secret they won't divulge?

I used the BP90 hollow bolt https://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/partslist.aspx I drilled a hole in the middle of my plastic oil filler cap. The top view of this bolt has 1/8 NPT threads in it and you can put a straight fitting or elbow or whatever your mounting requirements need. If memory serves me correctly, that BP40 bolt you mention also has 1/8 NPT female threads in it...Been awhile, I can't remember for sure, might be 1/4 NPT threads...

What appealed to me about this hollow bolt vs the one you mention is that the cap is removed from the engine while the hole is drilled; zero percent chance of any sort of shavings or debris entering your valvetrain area. I'm NOT running Amsoil bypass filtration, but here is a view of my engine compartment with the above mentioned fitting feeding return oil into the valve cover oil cap:

The other two filters are returning through fittings welded onto the oil pan; that's another story. I've got quite a bit of plumbing as you can see. They're all fed from a tee coming off the oil sensor connection on the block. And yes, I have very adequate oil pressure running 3 bypass filters. Hope this helps you.

Johny2bad,I am not an Amsoil fan, But every source of info I found just show a photo of it. An actual decent ad with info is kind of rare with them. I guess it doesn't fit well with the buying our complete system thing. I figured some nice person here might know. You sure weren't that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
I used the BP90 hollow bolt https://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/partslist.aspx I drilled a hole in the middle of my plastic oil filler cap. The top view of this bolt has 1/8 NPT threads in it and you can put a straight fitting or elbow or whatever your mounting requirements need. If memory serves me correctly, that BP40 bolt you mention also has 1/8 NPT female threads in it...Been awhile, I can't remember for sure, might be 1/4 NPT threads...

What appealed to me about this hollow bolt vs the one you mention is that the cap is removed from the engine while the hole is drilled; zero percent chance of any sort of shavings or debris entering your valvetrain area. I'm NOT running Amsoil bypass filtration, but here is a view of my engine compartment with the above mentioned fitting feeding return oil into the valve cover oil cap:

The other two filters are returning through fittings welded onto the oil pan; that's another story. I've got quite a bit of plumbing as you can see. They're all fed from a tee coming off the oil sensor connection on the block. And yes, I have very adequate oil pressure running 3 bypass filters. Hope this helps you.
Thanks for the reply.I guess I will buy it and then figure the rest out.

Get the Amsoil BP-89. That is the one I use with my Frantz bypass set ups. It is made to mount on valve covers and oil fill caps. Ypu can just screw it in if the valve cover or oil fill cap is thick enough or you can use the nut that comes with it to secure it in place. It swivels so you can unscrew your fill cap without any hose twisting.

I've set up a couple of bypass returns to valve covers with a common piggyback drain plug.
Drill, insert, nut with a drop of loctite on the back.
17190132_nda_65228_pri_larg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back