13 Hyundai Elantra - M1 EP 0w20 - 7365 miles - Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background: this Elantra was originally owned by another friend of mine. I have maintained this Elantra since the 25K mark. Until this oil change, it was receiving oil changes with Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W20 or Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 at 7.5K-10K intervals and genuine Hyundai oil filters.

Earlier this year, the Elantra changed ownership to a good friend of mine (the original owner moved out of state and no longer needed the car) and it looks like I will continue to maintain this car for the forseeable future.

This oil was in service for about 3 months. The engine air filter was a Mahle/Clevite with 20K miles on it, and the oil filter used was a Genuine Hyundai.

When this oil was placed into service at 78,994 miles, the ECM was also flash-reprogrammed to the latest calibration from Hyundai in order to resolve a P2096 fault code. See this thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4425564/2013_Hyundai_Elantra_-_P2096_-

The results are almost too good to be true – TBN of 6.7 (new is 9.0), Flashpoint of 435F and Insolubles of 0.1 after 7,400 miles is almost unreal.

How long can this oil go for?

Easily 10k and likely 12-15k miles (~24000 km); just keep an eye on TAN.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hi there Michael,

How long was the oil in service for? Thank you.

Says "about 3 months"

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
That non-GDi 1.8L is an extremely reliable engine.

Hyundai, now being related with "extremely reliable" is very strange to me. I guess they got their s**t figured out!

This one has a somewhat nasty timing chain rattle at startup, but I was advised that this is normal due to the odd design of the timing chain tensioner.

Last edited:
Nice run … think I’ll start the new 5.3L on that … have one jug in stash … but have to get used to 8 quart fill now …

Originally Posted By: The Critic

This one has a somewhat nasty timing chain rattle at startup, but I was advised that this is normal due to the odd design of the timing chain tensioner.

Yes, that's a common complaint on the forums. It is far from refined at startup but settles in nicely once you pull off.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87

Hyundai, now being related with "extremely reliable" is very strange to me. I guess they got their s**t figured out!

If they didn't their 10 year 100,000 mile warranty would have buried their behind by now!

i am not a fan of DI, + my car + truck are port injected!! prolly NEVER buy a DI engine unless it has port as well!! the little xtra performance + mpg's matters not to me but i understand why manufactures do whatever they can to meet MPG + EPA requirements!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Dumc87

If they didn't their 10 year 100,000 mile warranty would have buried their behind by now!

Haha, true!

I think it was after 2010? They redesigned everything? Or was it 2005... hmm

Wow indeed!
Hyundai apparently built a very good engine.
It isn't the oil alone.

I think this may be the first UOA I've seen that suggests EP is actually a 15k oil. It sure looks like it is going to be in this vehicle. Very nice.

For those who haven't had recent experience with one, Hyundai/KIA have surpassed some Japanese makes and are doing a pretty good job of pushing Honda/Toyota these days.

Ever spend much time in SK? I sure have … Two things hard to spot there:

1) Japanese products
2) American products

You can have them … not me …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back