Fram Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as I had a bit of a break from BITOG I totally missed all the information I'm sure that was discussed here about the FRAM Ultra line of filters I see popping up in the auto stores near me.

What's the scoop on them in comparison to other filters?

Not really an Orange Can man myself but for family etc. How do they stack up?

Canucks in the group, what's the pricing like here on them?
08.gif

Orange can next to Fram Ultra … both with 6k … note the rounded pleats where two layers of (3D) high efficiency synthetic media covers wire mesh backing

Last edited:
You got a lot of catching up to do. Bottom line conclusion will be it's hard to beat the Ultra.

Bang for the buck, you can't find a better oil filter than the Fram Ultra.

In terms of availability, reliability, durability, and holding capacity, you'd be hard pressed to find a better filter, period.

Just doing a 3,000 mile OCI, a Fram Ultra would be overkill, but for a long OCI, there isn't a filter that I would choose over the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
In terms of availability, reliability, durability, and holding capacity, you'd be hard pressed to find a better filter, period.

You forgot filtering efficiency, which is the main purpose of a filter.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
So as I had a bit of a break from BITOG I totally missed all the information I'm sure that was discussed here about the FRAM Ultra line of filters I see popping up in the auto stores near me.

What's the scoop on them in comparison to other filters?

Not really an Orange Can man myself but for family etc. How do they stack up?

Canucks in the group, what's the pricing like here on them?
08.gif

I was away for awhile too. Really threw me off that FRAM is now the preferred brand and Purolator is now shamed! I remember when the yellow can PureOne filters had the same reverence that the FRAM Ultra now has.

The Ultra's do seem to be the best bang for the buck for 5K+ OCI's.

Last edited:
Numerous BITOG autopsies have me thinking maybe Fram was right about paper end caps all along, and the thousands of internet "experts" bashing the OCOD because it was paper, fell for "fake news". I have not seen tears in paper media using a paper end cap like you do with a metal end cap. Perhaps because paper end caps flex along with the media during high RPM events. Metal end caps don't flex, high RPM events can rip or tear a hole in soot loaded, oil soaked paper media. When Fram used a metal end cap, they included a screen to reduce media flex, and the chance for a tear..

These MC/P1’s just tore anywhere I lightly pushed on them (3 filters) … this must be paper only … the M1 blended media is very thick/tough …

What is the filtering like in terms of Microns and flow?
99.9% @ 20 microns. It is synthetic media so flow is No issue. Zee may have the specfics.

I recently bought a case of Fram Ultras from ebay for around $4.50 each with free shipping. Now that is a bargain. But, it depends on your application. Just be careful who you buy them from, if you decide ebay. Hellmart is a great alternative. Also, inspect it before you purchase (at retailer) that there are no dents and nothing indicative that it had been dropped.

ZeeOSix, bbhero, LeakySeals and several others are a plethora of knowledge (Virtuoso) concerning the Ultra and it's abilities. ZeeOsix knows the delta-P very well.....There are many many discussions on BITOG concerning FU, among others et al.

Motorking is the Fram sponsor on this blog. He is an excellent resource and is forthright with facts and specs. Fram has excellent customer service and goes the extra mile for it's customers. Just my personal opinion!

FU thread

Another thread

Good hunting!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Numerous BITOG autopsies have me thinking maybe Fram was right about paper end caps all along, and the thousands of internet "experts" bashing the OCOD because it was paper, fell for "fake news". I have not seen tears in paper media using a paper end cap like you do with a metal end cap. Perhaps because paper end caps flex along with the media during high RPM events. Metal end caps don't flex, high RPM events can rip or tear a hole in soot loaded, oil soaked paper media. When Fram used a metal end cap, they included a screen to reduce media flex, and the chance for a tear..

I just used my thinking cap. Paper/fiberboard is good for the media so why the hate for it as endcaps? Made no sense then and still makes no sense today. If you trust it for the filter media it makes sense it's OK on the end.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

I just used my thinking cap. Paper/fiberboard is good for the media so why the hate for it as endcaps? Made no sense then and still makes no sense today. If you trust it for the filter media it makes sense it's OK on the end.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
These MC/P1’s just tore anywhere I lightly pushed on them (3 filters) … this must be paper only … the M1 blended media is very thick/tough …

The beloved MC did that? Uh oh..

Good enough. The mostimportant filter on an engine is the air filter.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Good enough. The mostimportant filter on an engine is the air filter.

I am sure you'll get some argument on BITOG on that but I do change my air filter at every OIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back