Saw Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 at O'Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I was in O'Reilly last night, and looking over the oil section, I saw some Mobil 1 that wasn't there a couple of weeks ago, so, they must have just put it on the shelf. It is the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 oil.

What was interesting was when I looked on the back, besides the little description written in English, it was in another language, and it wasn't Spanish. It said Made in France, I believe!

I would have thought it would be made in the same plant as the other Mobil 1 oils? Maybe Mobil is importing it and plans to recommend it for European cars here in the USA that call for the specs it meets?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: njohnson
I would have thought it would be made in the same plant as the other Mobil 1 oils?

Castrol does the same with some of their Euro oils... namely the 0w-30 and 0w-40 come from Belgium or Germany.

Quote:
Maybe Mobil is importing it and plans to recommend it for European cars here in the USA that call for the specs it meets?

M1 ESP 5w-30 has been offered on the US market for quite a number of years now, as it's applicable for many modern Euro diesel engines.

Hi everyone,

I was in O'Reilly last night, and looking over the oil section, I saw some Mobil 1 that wasn't there a couple of weeks ago, so, they must have just put it on the shelf. It is the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 oil.

What was interesting was when I looked on the back, besides the little description written in English, it was in another language, and it wasn't Spanish. It said Made in France, I believe!

I would have thought it would be made in the same plant as the other Mobil 1 oils? Maybe Mobil is importing it and plans to recommend it for European cars here in the USA that call for the specs it meets?

Blenders change plants all the time. I'm not sure why people get so hung up on where oils are produced.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I would have thought it would be made in the same plant as the other Mobil 1 oils?

Castrol does the same with some of their Euro oils... namely the 0w-30 and 0w-40 come from Belgium or Germany.

Quote:
Maybe Mobil is importing it and plans to recommend it for European cars here in the USA that call for the specs it meets?

M1 ESP 5w-30 has been offered on the US market for quite a number of years now, as it's applicable for many modern Euro diesel engines.

Thanks for the explanation! This was the first time seeing it in person. Maybe it is just not common in our area because I haven't seen it in any of the stores around here, until now.

I bought some off the shelf at Pep Boys before, and I've heard they carry it at NAPA. Believe it was about $11/liter at PB.
It showed up as in stock at my local O'Reilly when I checked online some time ago, but they didn't have any when I actually went to the store. I was supposed to get a call back about having some shipped from their warehouse and they blew me off.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I bought some off the shelf at Pep Boys before, and I've heard they carry it at NAPA. Believe it was about $11/liter at PB.
It showed up as in stock at my local O'Reilly when I checked online some time ago, but they didn't have any when I actually went to the store. I was supposed to get a call back about having some shipped from their warehouse and they blew me off.

That's what makes Walmart online with two day free shipping on $35 orders they are cheaper than O'Really is going to ever be and you can find out by just going online if they have it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

That's what makes Walmart online with two day free shipping on $35 orders they are cheaper than O'Really is going to ever be and you can find out by just going online if they have it.

Not really a WM kind of oil and I haven't seen them carry it online...super low SAPS oil targeted to some portion of the European diesel passenger vehicle market, as I understand it. NOACK loss is somewhere around 6% and I think it has the highest flashpoint I've seen for a 5W30, FWIW. Low starting TBN to go with that low SAPS...

Not really a WM kind of oil and I haven't seen them carry it online...super low SAPS oil targeted to some portion of the European diesel passenger vehicle market, as I understand it. NOACK loss is somewhere around 6% and I think it has the highest flashpoint I've seen for a 5W30, FWIW. Low starting TBN to go with that low SAPS...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-30-Extended-Performance-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17128876

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-30-Extended-Performance-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17128876

Thats the "more dinosaur bones" M1 5w30 version. Up a few $ right now.. Its been down at $24 all summer. I think WM may sell a 0w40 Euro?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Thats the "more dinosaur bones" M1 5w30 version. Up a few $ right now.. Its been down at $24 all summer. I think WM may sell a 0w40 Euro?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W-40-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/23636902

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

WM carries Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 0w40
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:
WM carries Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 0w40
laugh.gif

The 0w40 is not L.
wink.gif

Well I'll be... I thought it was!

Guess it was near the 5w30 L so I assumed it was L as well. Oops

Mobil1 5W30 ESP that is available on the U.S. market is made in two countries: France and Finland.
It is primarily made for the European market. Considering size of the U.S. market for that oil, there is no need to move production here. Though, Mobil1 0W30 X1 is made in the U.S. and it is Low-SAPS, but I would argue not as stout and widely applicable as 5W30 ESP.

That's EP, not ESP.

That's EP, not ESP.

LOL like it really matters your car won't know the difference.

That's EP, not ESP.

You joking or you are serious?
I am asking because I cannot believe someone could state something like that seriously.

If your car is a diesel, it definitely matters.

That's EP, not ESP.

Your WM shopping cart will know the difference because it will be empty if you go shopping for ESP there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back