xx6607 or xx7317 or xx9688

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in question is a Nissan Juke (out of warranty). The OEM calls for a 6607 which is a very small filter and a larger filter may allow me to use the full 5QT jug instead of 4.5QTs. I grabbed a couple of cheap SuperTech filters to dissect, though I would use another brand (most likely). The 7317 (not shown) is somewhere between the 6607 and 9688, but is closer to the 9688 size.

Realizing that an intangible may be gained by using a larger filter--but they all cost the same, which would you use?

c6tXZZ.jpg

Ahcx2F.jpg

BUfDBg.jpg

I didn't know ST and Fram use the same numbers. If that's the case and you have room, is there a 3593A? That's the largest volumn of the M20x1.5 thread filters that are close to 3" Outer Diameter (OD) with going too wide. I made a Fram chart a few years back but I'll rewrite it below. My Subaru and Honda are the same thread size.

3593A - OD 3.02" - Height 3.39"
9688 - OD 3.02" - Height 3.08"
7317 - OD 2.69" - Height 3.47"
6607 - OD 2.69" - Height 2.63"

3985 - OD 3.66" - Height 3.69"
3950- OD 3.66" - Height 3.09"

Originally Posted By: CT8
Go for the gusto bigger is better whether it makes a difference or not.

+1

In the ST filters, the ST9688 is the 7317 equivalent. They consolidate the 9688 and 7317 applications into one. I'd use the ST9688, haven't seen a Nissan yet where the longer (7317) one wouldn't work. And in the ST the 9688 uses a separate dome bypass as opposed to a combo valve in the 6607.

Bigger should be no problem in my mind. But why don't you go to a 99% plus filter rather than a 95% filter when it would appear to me you are trying to get cleaner oil by using a larger size filter? Extend OCI's is your goal correct?

Last edited:
Car in my signature specs a 6607, I use a 7317 oversized.

Same base, same bypass pressure, just longer...

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I didn't know ST and Fram use the same numbers. If that's the case and you have room, is there a 3593A? That's the largest volumn of the M20x1.5 thread filters that are close to 3" Outer Diameter (OD) with going too wide. I made a Fram chart a few years back but I'll rewrite it below. My Subaru and Honda are the same thread size.

3593A - OD 3.02" - Height 3.39"
9688 - OD 3.02" - Height 3.08"
7317 - OD 2.69" - Height 3.47"
6607 - OD 2.69" - Height 2.63"

3985 - OD 3.66" - Height 3.69"
3950- OD 3.66" - Height 3.09"
Many thanks for this. I will have to see what will fit.

I'm in the same boat with the G37. The oversize options up here are cheaper than the specified size, generally. So, I'll often just grab whatever's cheaper and/or convenient. I would say that over half my oil changes used an oversized filter. I wasn't looking for any benefit beyond price. Sometimes one or the other is out of stock, too, so I grab what's handy. I'm running an oversized Wix right now, 57356, as a matter of fact, and the last Baldwins were oversized, too. The specified filter seems to always be $2 more, no matter what brand. The only exception was if I compare the old Wix 51365 versus the old oversize 51356, where they were a bit closer.

The small oem filter, p/n 15208-65F0E, has media surface area similar to that shown of the ST9688. The anti-drainback valve incorporated in these cheap filters consumes far too much space in the canister to make this a practical design.

Spend the money ($5.50 mail-order) on the OEM Gonher filters and get the correct capacity and proper design. Those Wal-Mart offerings are overpriced at $1.00.

I have a 04 Subaru RS 2.5 just rebuilt. not a fan of the tiny st6607 I've used for the break-in and just put on for the first 100 or so miles. Any Subaru owners on here using the 3953A? This RS doesn't have the ring of fire exhaust design..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FowVay
The small oem filter, p/n 15208-65F0E, has media surface area similar to that shown of the ST9688. The anti-drainback valve incorporated in these cheap filters consumes far too much space in the canister to make this a practical design. Spend the money ($5.50 mail-order) on the OEM Gonher filters and get the correct capacity and proper design. Those Wal-Mart offerings are overpriced at $1.00.
I only bought the ST filters to dissect and examine. I plan to use a FRAM Ultra filter, I just need to see what will physically fit on it.

Go bigger, I use a bigger filter just to be able to dump an even 6 quarts in my truck. Hate having a opened half leftover laying around.

Originally Posted By: PE400
can you post pics of their combo valves as well.
I will; let me get back home and take some photos. Note only the 6607 has a combo valve. the 9688 has a standard "WIX style" bypass valve.

Im as oil anal as the next guy, (as long as the next guy is not a bitog'er) but i have almost never worried about the size of an oil filter. I mean, what difference does a few more sq in of filter surface or oz of oil capacity mean.
I do use my car oil filters on my tractor, because it saves on having to remember its filter # and it is the shorter version of the 3614. But other than that, i cant imagine it being of any benefit. Am i crazy?

Originally Posted By: bchannell
Im as oil anal as the next guy, (as long as the next guy is not a bitog'er) but i have almost never worried about the size of an oil filter. I mean, what difference does a few more sq in of filter surface or oz of oil capacity mean.

Some of the oversized filters for a particular car are way more than a few square inches more. Biggest reason I like a bigger filter is there's less delta-p across the media which helps reduce the stress on the media, and less delat-p also gives more headroom before the bypass valve open up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back