Updated List of Dedicated MTF Fluids

MolaKule

Staff member
Here is an updated list of dedicated GL-4 and a few GL-5 MTL's.

Much confusion over the viscosities (thickness) of MTF fluids is the result of the SAE gear oil charts and its ranges seen at:

BITOG Viscosity Chart

NOTE: This list is only a “suggested” list of MTFs. It is not an endorsement of any one fluid, nor is it implied that any one fluid will cure problems in MTs that have design problems or those that have excessive wear.

A. These MTL fluids are closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.x cSt@100C (About the same viscosity as a DexronVI) and SAE 70 or so are:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,

2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,

3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.

4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC

5. Volvo Manual Transmission Fluid (6.4 cSt) [Recommended for: type M65 5-speed with 6-cyl. engine, M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year 1996. Meets Ford specification WSSM2C200-D2]

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.0 to 7.5 cSt@100C versions [SAE 70W75] (About the same viscosity as the original DexronIII/Merc)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2 ,3

7. Tutelo (Petronus, Italy, Product Code 1402)

8. Pentosin Pro Gear 70W75 (Australia)

9.0 Pentosin FFL-4

10. Redline Power Steering Fluid

C. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

D. Redline DCTF Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid (8.1 cSt)

E. The next higher viscosity MTL would be BG Synchroshift II (8.2 cSt)

F. The next higher viscosity is Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt

F. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

G. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

H. The next group of MTL’s are in the 10.x cSt (SAE 75W80) range:

1. Redline MTL 75W80

2. Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)

3. GM Synchromesh’s

4. Volvo MTF 645

5. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)

6. Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF

7. Motylgear 75W-80

I. The next higher viscosity MTL would be a 12.0cSt@100C and SAE 75W85:

1. Redline MT-85 – 12.0 cSt

J. The next higher viscosity MTLs in the 14-15 cSt (SAE 75W90) range would be:

1. Amsoil MTG

2. Redline MT-90

3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90

4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90

5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)

6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS

7. Subaru Extra-S Gear & Transmission Fluid carries a GL-5 Rating because it is used in common sump driveline systems.

8. ACDelco 10-4059 GL-4 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid

9. ACDelco 89021806 For use in MA5 manual transmission for GMT 345, GMT 355 Trucks and GMX 020 Cobalt Pursuit and G5 Passenger only. Caution: Rated at GL-3 (ExxonMobil fluid).

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I believe Subaru’s Extra-S was discontinued several years ago in favor of their new High Performance Gear Oil, which is a different formula.

Thanks for putting this together.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
FWIW, I believe Subaru’s Extra-S was discontinued several years ago in favor of their new High Performance Gear Oil, which is a different formula.

Thanks for putting this together.

It was and as soon as we get an analysis of the new fluid we will have an updated list.

We try to update the list as soon as we get confirmation of specifications as supported by analysis of any new or re-branded fluid.

Last edited:
Nice list.

I would add to the "J" heading

Ravenol TSG 75w-90 Gl-4

It is widely available from VW/Audi parts houses, Amazon and Ebay and is fairly priced vs. the competition.

I don't see Motul Gear 300 on there -- dual-rated GL4/GL5 75w90. Pretty good stuff.

Also, Renewable Lube's MTF is absent.

Quote:
Ravenol TSG 75w-90 Gl-4
PDS with specifications?

Quote:
Motul Gear 300
PDS with specifications?

Quote:

Also, Renewable Lube's MTF is absent.
Link or PDS with specifications?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Renewable Lube's MTF is absent.

http://renewablelube.com/files/6714/8761/9742/4C3-Bio-SynXtra_75W90_GL-5_LS_Gear_Oil.pdf

That is primarily a Hypoid differential and MT1 lubricant, has a higher viscosity than GL4/GL5 MTF lubes, has no MTF friction modifiers, so it will not be included. It also has the limited slip additive component which has no place in MTF's.

Same with the LiquiMoly Hypoid Gear Oils.

The LiquiMoly 75W-90 GL4 will be included in a future update.

Quote:
Ravenol TSG GL-4 is detailed here (German site, in English):

http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-getriebeoel-tsg-sae-75w-90.html

They have a large selection of transmission-specific fluids, and the US distributor sells some directly to guarantee availability. It appears the full product specs don't appear to to be on the US site:

http://www.ravenolamerica.com/categories/transmission-fluid/manual-transmission-mtf.html

Thanks, These will be included in a future update.

Last edited:
can the redline dct and ps fluid be used in manuals?? doesnt say so on their site..the d4 is their 7.5 cst and is stated by them for use in manual transmissions

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: justintendo
can the redline dct and ps fluid be used in manuals?? doesnt say so on their site..the d4 is their 7.5 cst and is stated by them for use in manual transmissions

Yes, the Redline DCT and PS fluids have the proper additives and viscosity for MTF's.

The Redline D4 is NOT included because: 1) it is not a dedicated MTF with the proper additives for MTF's, 2) it is a dedicated ATF, 3) no test data has ever been provided to prove it has a GL-4 protection rating.

There is a big difference between knowing the actual content/makeup of the fluid and the manufacturer's marketing Hype or Lack thereof.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Thank you for this list
thumbsup2.gif

What about Royal Purple's MaxGear?

It is primarily a GL-5 hypoid differential and MT1 fluid.

The 75W90 has a high viscosity that in my view would not be good for cold weather shifting.

Also, it has no friction modifiers for MT's.

hmm, thanks for answering this. well i filled my f150 trans with the d4 since that was what redline recommended per their site for a mercon upgrade..what should i be using from redline? the ps or dct? is redline mixed up?
i was just going by this below..
D4 ATF
Our most versatile ATF, use where Dexron III®, Dexron II®, Mercon® and Mercon V® fluids are recommended, for use in automatic, manual transmissions and power steering.
Also used with manual transmissions and transaxles like T-5, T-45, T-56 and late-model BMW, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection.

thanks for your help

Last edited:
Look at the viscosity specs for the Redline DCT at 8.1 cSt

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=146&pcid=9 (better in my view than D4 for those MT's that spec a 75W80) for those that MT's that spec a viscosity slightly higher than Dexron III/Mercon).

and the Redline PS at 6.5 cSt

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=79&pcid=27 (better in my view than D4 for those MT's that spec a 70W80) for those that spec a Dexron III/Mercon for the likes of the Tremec's, etc).

Now I am not just emphasizing the viscosity specifications,

they both have the needed AW and friction modification chemistry suitable for MTs.

You can see what I am talking about here:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...id_#Post4468003

And I still disagree with their D4 hype.

Last edited:
swapped my m5od over to the redline ps fluid per your recommendation..slight uptick in shifting quality and a huge increase in add pack! thanks for your help...interestingly, theres no mention on the redline site, but on the ps fluid bottle it clearly states "gl-4 performance"..
hopefully redline gets this straightened out..

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: justintendo

Yes, the Redline DCT and PS fluids have the proper additives and viscosity for MTF's.

The Redline D4 is NOT included because: 1) it is not a dedicated MTF with the proper additives for MTF's, 2) it is a dedicated ATF, 3) no test data has ever been provided to prove it has a GL-4 protection rating.

There is a big difference between knowing the actual content/makeup of the fluid and the manufacturer's marketing Hype or Lack thereof.
smile.gif

Thanks Molakule for creating and updating this list of MTL's.

A question on the comments above. You don't consider RL D4 (or Amsoil ATF torque drive) as MTL's. But, GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid is on the list and it has a basic add pack that seems to pale in comparison to RL, Amsoil, and M1 synthetic ATF's. Is this because the GM 88861800 has been tested by "someone" to be a legitimate MTL and/or has a few drops of synchro friction rings, friction modifiers added? In reading your comments on it in the past I assumed it was conventional ATF with a slightly improved add pack. I currently use the GM MTL in my stock T56...changing it every 4K-5K miles, which takes about 4 yrs. I may have to consider that RL PS fluid down the road. 6.2-6.4 cSt may be a bit low for the min 6.8 spec, but the add pack is quite stout. Since there's no "shifting" or "clutch packs" or "friction rings" in most PS racks or pumps, why the need for a bunch of friction modifiers suitable for "clutching material" in RL PS fluid?

Back