Bio-Chemistry for Dental Restorations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
New Dental Restoration Composite More Durable than Conventional Material

From Medical Design Briefs - Tuesday, 29 August 2017

Researchers have developed a new type of dental composite that provides an extra layer of durability to treated teeth. The potential payoff is longer lasting fillings, crowns, implants, and other work.

The researchers looked to mussels to find a way not only to maintain strength and hardness but also to add durability. The byssal threads mussels use to affix to surfaces allow them to resist the forces that would tear them from their moorings. Key to this mechanism is what the scientists call dynamic or sacrificial bonding — multiple reversible and weak bonds on the sub-nanoscopic molecular level that can dissipate energy without compromising the overall adhesion and mechanical properties of the load-bearing material.

The mussel’s byssus contain a high number of unique chemical functional groups called catechols, which are used to prime and promote adhesion to wet mineral surfaces. The new study shows that using a catecholic coupling agent instead of the conventional silane coupling agent provides 10 times higher adhesion and a 50 percent increase in toughness compared to current dental restorative resin composites.

Source: http://www.news.ucsb.edu/2017/018209/tougher-tooth

anything should be better than todays silver amalgams that contain MERCURY that is slowly released into your system especially when consuming hot drinks!!!!!

I'll have to see if my dentist is already looking to use it. He always seems to be using cutting edge stuff.. I think my last crown was made with some sort of advanced futuristic compound.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I'll have to see if my dentist is already looking to use it. He always seems to be using cutting edge stuff.. I think my last crown was made with some sort of advanced futuristic compound.

Is this kind of thing regulated by the FDA? If so, it will probably be a while for them to run more trials.

amalgams are now banned in Europe, but as usual big $$$ keeps toxic products flowing in USA!! a drop of mercury will close a school but dentists put in your mouth, think alzheimers!!! not to mention thimerosal a mercury containing preservative used in some vaccinations!! no flu shot for me!!!!

Last edited:
I recall my dentist telling me twelve years ago that scientist found a way to inject stem cells into the gum line and grow new teeth. At the time it was being tested on rats. I'm sure some corporation will buy the patent and lock it up, so to speak.

Thanks for posting Dr. Kule!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: benjy
amalgams are now banned in Europe, but as usual big $$$ keeps toxic products flowing in USA!! a drop of mercury will close a school but dentists put in your mouth, think alzheimers!!! not to mention thimerosal a mercury containing preservative used in some vaccinations!! no flu shot for me!!!!

Learned something new! Wow....

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: benjy

Take off the tinfoil hat, its causing you more harm than the mercury. Its not bc of health effects it about the environment.

Why is my old childhood neighborhood not destroyed? We used to coat coins with mercury.

http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=246

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back