308 to punch paper off hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a PSA AR10, I want some plinking ammo to shoot off hand at 100

Wolf? fmj? soft core?

I am fine with steel, don't like picking up cases at range, the leaves make it hard to find anything.

If you don't like to pick up cases, wolf and their steel cases are excellent solution. Just bring a magnet.

I would look for the cheapest brass stuff I could find. With one exception. Stay away from Malaysia stuff. There were a few M1-A's that let go shooting it some time ago. Sometimes you can get some good deals on Berdan primed brass .308 at good prices.

Yeah, I got buckets of Mil 308, but I never set my zero with it, I use the 'good stuff'
for deer season to set or check my zero, punches harder, but more accurate!

Originally I was looking for 308 my rifle 'liked' turns out it does happen when the groups get
tighter and you've changed nothing else but the ammo.

At the time, in my 30's I switched from mil to my deer loads, the groups tightened right up but
1 1/2" high with a bit of scope-bite, not expecting much of a change in recoil! But there was! dang

Thanks for the vote for the mil surp/cheapo rounds

I bought few boxes of 150 fmj and 150 sp wolf.
I read they are dirty sobs, but hey they were cheap,
I might get some German surplus too for the brass but I have mucho 308 brass from a buddy who had a machine gun he sold. Nice once fired sized, cleaned and primed.

The wolf was 33 cents while the German stuff if 55 cents I believe, worth the diff if I use the brass but again, it is a P-A-I-N to pick up the brass at my range with gas guns.

I just realized my PSA AR 10 did NOT come with a mag, seriously, I thought the lower would come with a mag,

I need 4 10 round mags for the high power matches. Which one should I go for? pmags?

Last edited:
All the steel case stuff I've run (mostly Wolf) has been perfectly fine.

One caveat ... Don't run a lot of it in a high-cycle fashion, getting the chamber hot, and then leave a round in. It's true what is said; the anti-trust lacquer will bond to the chamber and make the cases want to stick. I've had to clear friends' mistakes a few times. As long as you run the rounds with some cool down time between mags, and not go all "Rambo" with it, they work great.

I've shot a metric S-load of Wolf .308 through some guns. Cheapest blasting ammo I can find, always works great. I ACTUALLY like it in .308, where as I cant stand the .223 version.

I usually keep at least 1000 rounds of the Wolf .308 on hand. I trust it and would use it during the apocalypse.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I would go with P-Mags. They're cheap, function well, and the feed lips won't bend or get out of shape. I've never had a bad one.

Thanks, I bought 4 10 round pmags from Brownells for 14$ with free shipping :)

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
All the steel case stuff I've run (mostly Wolf) has been perfectly fine.

One caveat ... Don't run a lot of it in a high-cycle fashion, getting the chamber hot, and then leave a round in. It's true what is said; the anti-trust lacquer will bond to the chamber and make the cases want to stick. I've had to clear friends' mistakes a few times. As long as you run the rounds with some cool down time between mags, and not go all "Rambo" with it, they work great.

Thanks, lol, no Sir, no mag dump here,

rapid fire:
1 round to sight, then 10 in 1 min max, open chamber, put in flag, check the target.
So there is ample time for the barrel and chamber to cool down plus I shoot when it is 50F or cooler.

I bought some Tula, which has bullets with a bi-metal jacket, hope this is not going to wear the barrel out (??)
https://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-308-win-ammo-308150fmjtulablack-500

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've shot a metric S-load of Wolf .308 through some guns. Cheapest blasting ammo I can find, always works great. I ACTUALLY like it in .308, where as I cant stand the .223 version.

I usually keep at least 1000 rounds of the Wolf .308 on hand. I trust it and would use it during the apocalypse.

ok, I have shot the 223 and it is smells different and is bit dirty but works.
Thanks,

The main thing I don't care for with most any steel cased ammunition, is the cases do not obturate as well as brass cases. The result is a lot more powder blow by, and a much dirtier weapon. Especially in a direct impingement semi auto rifle. Compared to the same amount of brass cased ammunition fired through the same gun. I know a lot of people don't care about that, because you have to clean your gun anyway. I am also of the belief it's harder on extractors. On a AR-15 extractors are easy to find. And even easier to replace. But on other guns they can be a PITA.

But considering all of the above, and adding in the fact I reload. I have zero reason to mess with steel. The only exception is with my AK-47's. They are designed for steel cased ammunition.

I've put several hundred rounds of CBC 7.62x51 through my DPMS, even at my LGS prices, it's about .70/round. Then I discovered on-line ammo shopping...

I've put a few hundred rounds of ZQI ammo (Turkish, bought from SGammo.com for 0.44/round) through it as well.

Just bought 1,000 rounds of surplus German ammo from SGammo for about 0.45/round.

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/308-win-762x51-ammo

With prices between steel case Russian and decent brass ammo varying by only a few cents, I would rather not put steel case ammo through my rifle. Personal preference, I suppose, but even with 1,000 rounds, the savings of steel over brass (feel free to peruse SGAmmo's site) is small, and it just isn't worth it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I've put several hundred rounds of CBC 7.62x51 through my DPMS, even at my LGS prices, it's about .70/round. Then I discovered on-line ammo shopping...

I've put a few hundred rounds of ZQI ammo (Turkish, bought from SGammo.com for 0.44/round) through it as well.

Just bought 1,000 rounds of surplus German ammo from SGammo for about 0.45/round.

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/308-win-762x51-ammo

With prices between steel case Russian and decent brass ammo varying by only a few cents, I would rather not put steel case ammo through my rifle. Personal preference, I suppose, but even with 1,000 rounds, the savings of steel over brass (feel free to peruse SGAmmo's site) is small, and it just isn't worth it.

Astro,
I missed these german surplus, wow, I mean that is a good deal,
only thing is the corrosion,
how bad was it on the surface, did it eat through the brass?

The corrosion on the German surplus that I got was non-existent. I only opened a couple of boxes and everything was clean and shiny. If I find some, I would expect it's just a bit of discoloration, nothing serious...

The ZQI, when it comes in stock, is really an incredible deal: brand new ammo, shiny brass, annealed case mouths, lacquered primer pocket, genuine mil-spec, quality ammo at 0.48/round for .308/7.62. I would buy it again in a heartbeat....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
The corrosion on the German surplus that I got was non-existent. I only opened a couple of boxes and everything was clean and shiny. If I find some, I would expect it's just a bit of discoloration, nothing serious...

The ZQI, when it comes in stock, is really an incredible deal: brand new ammo, shiny brass, annealed case mouths, lacquered primer pocket, genuine mil-spec, quality ammo at 0.48/round for .308/7.62. I would buy it again in a heartbeat....

Astro, Ok, yeah those ZQI deals were unreal, it back when I was in the red and paying attys, lol, had to control my urge to back the truck.

Many years back I found federal 308 at 50 cents new ammo during black friday, I am praying this black friday we see some so I can replenish my stash.

Billt, ok, I will get some brass ones for my M1 308 special from CMP,

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Billt, ok, I will get some brass ones for my M1 308 special from CMP,

The CMP sells good ammo. A few years back I bought 3, 480 round cases of their Greek .30-06 M2 Ball ammunition. It came in 2 sealed spam cans to the case. All good ammo that was produced in 1967. And the best part was I paid only $381.00 for all 1,440 rounds delivered Fed Ex to my front door. That's only .26 cents a round. I couldn't buy the brass for that now. I still have quite a bit left.

Bill - you're killing me!!

That's is such an incredible deal on Garand Ammo that's it's just hard to believe.

Well done!

The Greeks still have some of their Garands, but they don't need ammo for them anymore...

Here are a few pics from the changing of the guard at the Greek Tomb of the Unknown I took last month.

The uniforms are traditional, and have historic meaning, but it's a long story. I will say that every one of those kids is at least 6'4". I felt quite short when they marched by...and I'm 6'1"!!

billt,
I missed the greek ball back then at CMP, I did not start shooting M1 till later. I bought my yearly quota of the hxp few times, but price was like 60 cents a round. they don't give you the wooden cases anymore when you pick up the ammo, they put my ammo on a flatbed dolly.
Those were the good ol days, few of the high power guys have like 30k greek, talk about a stash,

Astro, talk about land of the giants ;-)

Thanks for the pics both of ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back