First Slippery Road Warning of the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are stuck with 3 cars and 2 garages for the time being since my daughter doesn't have a parking spot away at school and I've been leaving my car outside at night because it's just easier. My wife drives the spare car to work once a week and I'll also take it out every so often.
I got a warning about slippery roads when I fired up the FXT this morning, this will happen when the car senses a temp of 37F or lower and it read exactly 37F at that time. Got down to 32F partway through my drive...I don't think this readout is especially accurate, but it was chilly this morning after having a couple weeks of warm temps that interrupted our fall cooldown. I noticed in my previous vehicle that I had to be very careful if it was raining and the car was sensing around 31-32F, but in the FXT the danger zone seems to be around 29F so I suspect it reads a little low.
We've had snowy Halloweens before...don't seem to be trending that way this year but, as a skier, I can only hope for something wonderful like that to happen...

I saw 32F today too on the outside temp monitor. Thank Jove that my TPMS didn't come on yet. I run my rears soft so they hit 26 or 27 on a 5 degree F morning and pumping them up makes them too hard and skittery. I did shut off my icy road warning I=on the DIC. Don't need nannies. The bad traction control and poor ABS is enough to kill me.

Originally Posted By: andyd
A wet road with fallen leaves is just as bad.

Thought I was heading into the brook once when our driveway was plastered with big oak and maple leaves after a fall rainstorm...wasn't even going fast.
Good thing we didn't have a car parked outside at that time...

Last edited:
Funny, I have a thermostat device that turns on my bike's heated grips automatically below some set temp (I can't remember what is) and today was the first day of this season that the indicator light turned on as I was pulling out of the garage!

Wow, we had two nights in the twenties a few weeks a go in rural Central PA. Caught me by surprise and had to scrape the car windshield. But its been back up in the 80's until the last couple days, and likely to return to at least upper 70's.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
This past Monday, we had about 6 inches of snow and it got down to about 18 deg.F Monday night.

May sounds weird, but I envy you!
I really hope we have a good snow season, but without the 70+F we got last February in the Northeast. Snow was fantastic before that.

I have lived all over the U.S. in my life. I grew up in the Appalachian foothills in Western Maryland. When I moved to Colorado 5 years ago, I was a little "concerned", as I had been living in California the previous 16 years (11 Southern, 5 Northern). I was pleasantly surprised. The winters here in Colorado are very different than they are back East. No cold, damp overcast for weeks on end. The sun is usually shining strongly, and makes 0 seem like 30. Most people that I know here actually look forward to winter, and I am starting to do that, also. I live at 6260 feet, and we get a fair amount of snow, more than Denver.

We are still pretty tropical so far this fall. Only 1 or 2 frosty nights and many nights its around 10C. I put on the snows anyways as I had to get my summer tires flipped for the last autocross of the year.

I have lived all over the U.S. in my life. I grew up in the Appalachian foothills in Western Maryland. When I moved to Colorado 5 years ago, I was a little "concerned", as I had been living in California the previous 16 years (11 Southern, 5 Northern). I was pleasantly surprised. The winters here in Colorado are very different than they are back East. No cold, damp overcast for weeks on end. The sun is usually shining strongly, and makes 0 seem like 30. Most people that I know here actually look forward to winter, and I am starting to do that, also. I live at 6260 feet, and we get a fair amount of snow, more than Denver.

I have experienced some of the bluebird ski days just after a big storm in Colorado and they were wonderful.
Also skied during the storms the day before when we could barely see...hey, the passes were already paid for and we were skiing no matter what! Had a day at A-Basin where I lost my daughter in the blizzard 2 seconds after getting off one of the higher lifts...we stayed down low and skied the trees, still had tons of fun.
One of our best days was at Vail after a storm, we had skied the Back Bowls the day before when visibility was near zero and it was interesting to say the least. Had bluebird skies the next day and all the locals came out to ski the Bowls, the lines to get back there were just terrible. My daughter and I stayed on the front side and basically owned those runs on almost untouched snow...I remember one run called Giant Steps that was just like it sounded, skiing down what looked like a huge staircase with amazing views the whole way. Not super challenging, but super fun.

I don't ski, but I took my nephew to A-basin a couple of winters ago. He is from back east and had only ski'd a couple of places in Pennsylvania. I figured we'd be leaving at dusk. He came up to me about two o'clock. He had had enough. He was worn out. 16 years old.
smile.gif

I don't ski, but I took my nephew to A-basin a couple of winters ago. He is from back east and had only ski'd a couple of places in Pennsylvania. I figured we'd be leaving at dusk. He came up to me about two o'clock. He had had enough. He was worn out. 16 years old.
smile.gif

We generally finish up between 2 and 3 when we are out West, despite starting at 9am and taking morning and lunch breaks. The bump skiing really takes it out of me, but it is nice to have big bumps with snow compared to tiny bumps covered in ice as is the norm for us in the East.
Our first trip was to Park City and our last day there was spent at Canyons, and the skiing was so wonderful that I told my daughter we just had to go until closing because we had no reason to save energy as our trip was over. By 2:30pm, my legs were so rubbery that I could barely turn to stay on even the groomed trails. I told my daughter I was shot and she was so happy because she didn't want to be the one calling it a day because she was also exhausted.

The storm the day we went to A-Basin was truly hellacious and we kept seeing signs that the pass ahead was closed, and I was very concerned because I just didn't know if the resort was before or after the pass for us. Looked like the road was closed just past A-Basin the direction we were going and I almost completely missed the resort because the snow was so intense. Like I said, great day for tree skiing. A-Basin reminded me a lot of the places we usually ski in the East, fairly modest lodge accomodations without the big shopping/hotel village like you see at places like Vail or Snowmass. Parking was free, we didn't have to pay for a spot to stow our gear while we were skiing, and lunch tasted great, so the spartan lodges were fine by me.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
We are stuck with 3 cars and 2 garages for the time being since my daughter doesn't have a parking spot away at school and I've been leaving my car outside at night because it's just easier. My wife drives the spare car to work once a week and I'll also take it out every so often.
I got a warning about slippery roads when I fired up the FXT this morning, this will happen when the car senses a temp of 37F or lower and it read exactly 37F at that time. Got down to 32F partway through my drive...I don't think this readout is especially accurate, but it was chilly this morning after having a couple weeks of warm temps that interrupted our fall cooldown. I noticed in my previous vehicle that I had to be very careful if it was raining and the car was sensing around 31-32F, but in the FXT the danger zone seems to be around 29F so I suspect it reads a little low.
We've had snowy Halloweens before...don't seem to be trending that way this year but, as a skier, I can only hope for something wonderful like that to happen...

We had a White Frost this morning on the Green Grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back