'17 Sonata 2.4L OManual - what's your takeaway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Given your location, I think I'd use 5w30, based on this.

Yeah, that's my decision moving forward. Nothing against XW20 for vehicles primarily engineered to run on that viscosity, or going with 5W20 in this same vehicle in the far north during winter, but I read it the same way you do. I used 5W20 without issue in my previous Hyundai 2.4 but will go a different route this time.

That "higher viscosity engine oils are required for satisfactory lubrication in hot weather" never bothered me before. It does now.

There is no question that modern engines last a very long time on uber-thin oils. However, many manufacturers, including Hyundai have suffered unnecessary warranty claims due to the use of thin oils coupled with extended drain intervals. Many, possibly even most, drivers do not understand that their operations fall under the "severe" category that includes more frequent oil changes. Things like many short trips, towing, extended high speed operation (many people speed) , extended idling and so on. These things are spelled out in the owners manual, and often ignored.

It's easy to discount the sentence that states higher viscosity is required for operation in high temperatures. South Florida people continue to use 5W-20 oil in over 100 degree temps (at the road surface) , while going 90MPH down the highway, and expect good results. Then they become annoyed when the balancer chain fails, the timing chain wears out, the cam phasers knock like an old diesel engine and so on.

It's very telling when Ford requires 10W-50 in their "trak-pak" vehicles with the exact same engine as the normal version of the car (which requires 5W-20) Heat and heavy use require sufficient viscosity. Twas always so.

Originally Posted By: knerml
What not stick with 5W30 for both Hyundai's, given your warm climate.

In Florida I'd be running 10W-30 in both of them and it would be full synthetic.

Last edited:
My daughter has a 2012 Sonata and son in law has a 2009; both with the 2.4 engine. I'll use 5w20 if I have it from a sale, but most of the time these two get 5w30. I remember seeing in the manual that these engines are good with any oil, any viscosity.

5w30 & 10w30 only in mine. It’ll never see a 5w20 or 0w20, it just isn’t necessary.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

In Florida I'd be running 10W-30 in both of them and it would be full synthetic.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
5w30 & 10w30 only in mine. It’ll never see a 5w20 or 0w20, it just isn’t necessary.

My sister lives in Phoenix and one brother in Tucson. 120F isn't uncommon, so i completely understand.

Seems like the verbiage is pushing the owner towards 5/10W30 for a warm climate.
If you wanted to use the same oil for your wife's car, though, I don't think you're ever going to see a dexos1 Gen 2 10W30...whether that is a concern is totally up to you! I know that you are keeping up with LSPI developments for DIT engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

AMEN my brother
smile.gif

I have a toyota and it may see 5w or 0w20 in a frankenblend

I have to disagree with everyone. Either one will work fine, use what you want. I doubt you or the car will notice a difference. I dont think your climate makes much of a difference even if you use 5w20.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I have to disagree with everyone. Either one will work fine, use what you want. I doubt you or the car will notice a difference. I dont think your climate makes much of a difference even if you use 5w20.

Unless the cars get wrung out fairly hard, then I'd want to stick to the thicker oils, especially in the turbo car. Full boost at lower rpms isn't where I want to use 5W20 after the oil is very hot from some high rpm running.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Seems like the verbiage is pushing the owner towards 5/10W30 for a warm climate.
If you wanted to use the same oil for your wife's car, though, I don't think you're ever going to see a dexos1 Gen 2 10W30...whether that is a concern is totally up to you! I know that you are keeping up with LSPI developments for DIT engines.

For the Turbo, I will try Mobil1 HM 10w30 becuase of its HT/HS of 3.5 and ACEA A3 rating. After that, if i go 5w30, it will have to have Dex1Gen2 approval.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Getting Wemay to run 10W-30 would be a major breakthrough. I'd go out and buy a lottery ticket that day.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
go get your ticket.

Originally Posted By: wemay

That "higher viscosity engine oils are required for satisfactory lubrication in hot weather" never bothered me before. It does now.
Why exactly does it bother you?

Originally Posted By: wemay

For the Turbo, I will try Mobil1 HM 10w30 becuase of its HT/HS of 3.5 and ACEA A3 rating. After that, if i go 5w30, it will have to have Dex1Gen2 approval.

Interesting choice!
I ran M1 5W30 ESP with a 3.58 HTHS for a handful of changes, no problems with it other than being pricey and only available in liter bottles in the US. Starting TBN was low, but I didn't worry much about that with 5kmile change intervals.
I'm planning to stick with Gen 2 oils until GF5+/6 go live, had thoughts about running 10W30 for the warmer months in the past but those are probably on the back burner now unless there happen to be any Gen 2 oils in that grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back