Bathroom light bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 15 years, one of my bathroom bulbs fell apart. Found the glass part dangling by a wire. It was 1 of 6 100W frosted incandescent bulbs in the fixture above my bathroom sink. There is an alabaster shade over the bulbs.

This isn't it but it's similar enough so you get the idea.
CH21010CM33-BL4MAIN.jpg

I'd prefer to change out all 6 bulbs at once. What bulbs do you recommend? My wife likes a lot of light so want to stick with 100w or equivalent. The CFL seem too white and cold to me. The LEDs are so expensive. $12 a bulb?? I don't need a bulb that will outlive me.

I thought of taking a bulb out of another fixture in the house and maybe replacing that with a CFL where the light color won't be an issue but the bulbs seem so brittle and want to break off where the glass and metal are connected.

it maybe diffixult to find 100w incand bulbs.
6x100 is a lot of light .

for a bathroom you can probably go with the 60w or even 40w globe bulbs that are meant for vanities if they fit this should give you pleasant color rendition as they are intended for that purpose

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
it maybe diffixult to find 100w incand bulbs.
6x100 is a lot of light .

for a bathroom you can probably go with the 60w or even 40w globe bulbs thst are meant for vanities. this should give you pleasant color rendition as they are intended for that purpose

Don't think globes will fit behind the shades. The regular sized bulbs just fit.

One 7-watt, 470-lumen, $3 LED works fine in one bathroom for me, and a 40-watt incandescent in the less used bathroom.

You can get LED bulbs for a lot less than $12 on sale (more like $3). You can also get LED bulbs in warm white, rather than daylight. LED bulbs/fixtures run much cheaper and generate a lot less heat too which is a bonus.

New all LED fixtures are a few hundred dollars. I know because I've just bought several.

I'd replace those 6 bulbs with 60 Watt (equivalent) LEDs in warm white. Done.

Last edited:
6 100 watt bulbs in a bathroom?
crazy2.gif

I have 8 60 watt LED equivalents in mine and feel like I'm on the surface of the sun.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
crazy2.gif

I have 8 60 watt LED equivalents in mine and feel like I'm on the surface of the sun.

I agree. Maybe his wife likes it very bright... ?

600watts is a lot of power for a light fixture. Like said, today's bulb shaped LEDs take up the same footprint as a standard incandescent. I find most "60watt equivalent" LEDs to be almost too bright. They actually only use a few watts of power each.

LED bulbs here are down to $2 or less.

I'd go for 2700k or 3500k color anything else is too white.

Maybe spring extra for a high CRI led bulb they are nice in the bathroom such as:

Cree TW series or GE "hd" reveal between $5 and $10

My fixture is 3x60w and its pretty bright
the basement bathroom is 4x60 and it felt like staring at the sun.

I cant imagine 6x100w

I would try 6x60w it should be plenty.

Usually the heat from the incandescent bulbs dries the steam from the mirror, the cooler led bulbs might not be as good for this. Don't mess around too much with a woman's bathroom.

Some folks like a lot of light. That's how we are - never enough. Anyway like others said you should be able to find 100w equivalent LEDs for much less than $12 each. Make sure you get the soft white kind, not "daylight".

I would go with 6-40 watt equivalent cool white LEDs.
LEDs seem to put out more than excepted.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
You can get LED bulbs for a lot less than $12 on sale (more like $3). You can also get LED bulbs in warm white, rather than daylight. LED bulbs/fixtures run much cheaper and generate a lot less heat too which is a bonus.

New all LED fixtures are a few hundred dollars. I know because I've just bought several.

I'd replace those 6 bulbs with 60 Watt (equivalent) LEDs in warm white. Done.

Costco had a 15w replacement LED equal to 100w incandescent for 10 bulbs for $10.

I just can't grasp the idea of using 600 watts worth of light and heat in a bathroom fixture... That is INSANE!

I use one 7 watt LED bulb in my bathroom.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Maybe spring extra for a high CRI led bulb they are nice in the bathroom such as:
{snip}
Cree TW series or GE "hd" reveal between $5 and $10
{snip}
I would try 6x60w it should be plenty.

This.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Some folks like a lot of light. That's how we are - never enough. Anyway like others said you should be able to find 100w equivalent LEDs for much less than $12 each. Make sure you get the soft white kind, not "daylight".

I'd think 60W X 6 would be plenty bright for a bathroom. Here's a 6-pack for $17.49 on Amazon - LINK

Just think of all the power you'd be saving too over 600W of incandescent bulbs.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: dishdude
crazy2.gif

I agree. Maybe his wife likes it very bright... ?

I wonder if she uses it as her "makeup mirror"? That would explain it...when my mother wore makeup every day, she insisted one bathroom have a very-bright light at the sink/mirror. (I recall it was four clear 60W bulbs.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back