Copper flakes in oil catch pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed oil in my 17 mirage. Car has 600 miles on it (yup I'm one of those guys). Oil change went well but I did notice a good amount of copper specks or thin flakes. They are roughly the size of the head of a pin. I found a uoa of this car that had 1000 miles on the factory fill and it showed high copper.

Would this concern anyone on a new car or can it be written off as normal break in? I plan on cutting the filter this weekend to see what I find.

Does the engine have a oil cooler mounted above the oil filter? many oil coolers leach copper - but I doubt you'd see flakes!

Don't get too OCD on this car, give it at least 10,000 miles before you have the oil analysed.

Don't even worry about it; likely normal break-in. It's got a warranty
smile.gif

all first oil changes look like an episode of Gold Rush in the oil drain pan... normal break-in metals no worries.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
all first oil changes look like an episode of Gold Rush in the oil drain pan... normal break-in metals no worries.

Bahahahaha! That's great!

I figured I was being a bit overly worried. One interesting thing is that the factory filter is shorter and has no ADBV. The recommended filter buy mitsubishi is basically the same size as the ultra I put on it, and includes an ADBV. My oil light goes out faster on startup and there is less clatter as well. Seems like a weird choice by a manufacturer.

Lots of shiny flakes in the first oil changes of both my (at the time new) 2009 VStar 1300 and Honda lawn mower.
Cause of some concern at the time, but no shiny flakes or problems since.

It's normal wear in metals. That's why I'm on the change early side of the fence. However the filter does seem to do a decent job and keeping the metal from getting pumped around. It collects in the bottom of the dump and comes out with the oil change

We have read posts on here about silver flakes in the oil which could be aluminium. Copper colored flakes make me wonder if this is really copper. Do they use anodized aluminium in engines these days?

Do another short change. Run the new oil for about 1500 miles and dump it. Dont be afraid to run it hard, you want those rings to seat in properly. Drive it like you stole it.

Perhaps you should not be cutting that filter open but keeping it unmolested. If you ever have to take the car in for a warranty claim the dealer will be looking for any out and will go - "Aahh! The owner changed the oil himself and did not do it properly. See that Fram? It is not the recommended Mitsubishi filter and caused all the problems". You can put the original filter back on before taking it in for warranty work and this will prevent the dealer from shifting blame on to you.

They cant force me to use a Mitsubishi filter so I'm not too concerned about using the Fram or whatever else. It's the filter Fram recommends for the motor and isn't drastically different than the stock filter recommended by Mitsubishi. Not to mention that filter is plenty dented at this point since it was put on by the Incredible Hulk.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
We have read posts on here about silver flakes in the oil which could be aluminium. Copper colored flakes make me wonder if this is really copper. Do they use anodized aluminium in engines these days?

It could be bronze instead, close to copper in color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back