H2O in gas additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Western Massachusetts it can get pretty cold in winter -20F for several days on end not as cold as some of you ice state dvellers though. My truck is kept outside and we don't have the best gas here many fuel stations seem to get water in there gas and many cars get frozen gas lines. I have used that stuff called "Heat" before with good results I believe it is just isopropyl alcohol but I often wonder if I should be useing something like Seafoam that says it helps with water in the fuel? Any other opinions or continue on with the "Heat" product?

You can also purchase "Methyl Hydrate" in larger quantities. Its the primary ingredient in gas line antifreeze. You can also reduce frozen gas lines by keeping your tank as full as possible during extreme cold.

If your gasoline is actually E10 (10% ethanol), you really should not need any gas line antifreeze. Once upon a time, we used to use a lot of HEET here to prevent fuel line icing. Since E10 became the norm, the need has been dramatically reduced. Draw your own conclusions if it gets cold here
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
You can also purchase "Methyl Hydrate" in larger quantities. Its the primary ingredient in gas line antifreeze. You can also reduce frozen gas lines by keeping your tank as full as possible during extreme cold.

And avoid fueling up when you see gas being delivered. That's sure to get any water stirred up.

I agree that gas-line freezing has been less of a problem in recent years. But I still carry a small container of gas-line antifreeze in the winter.

If you run heet get the Iso-stuff in the red bottle that's more expensive than the corrosive methanol.

Just my thoughts but -20F is rather cold... Less than 0°F is quite cold here in southeast Va. Never forget seeing thermometer at 0°F in January 1985 at 500 pm right before the Super Bowl between the 49ers and Dolphins. That was a unique experience during daytime hrs around here.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
If your gasoline is actually E10 (10% ethanol), you really should not need any gas line antifreeze. Once upon a time, we used to use a lot of HEET here to prevent fuel line icing. Since E10 became the norm, the need has been dramatically reduced. Draw your own conclusions if it gets cold here
smile.gif

+1 One positive to running E10 in winter and all you should need. I always laugh and shke my head when I see people pouring bottles of iso heet in and fill up with E10 guess it makes them feel good most likely they don't understand.

I live about an hour south of you we have junk gas too. 10% ethanol is mandated, there is no top tier fuel available and all of the major brands of gasoline are filled up by the same generic marked fuel truck that goes from station to station filling up their tanks.

K100 is a good fuel additive for removing water from fuel and preventing freeze ups. It is also a good fuel cleaner, stabilizer, rust preventer and upper cylinder lubricant. Biobor EB is another good all in one marine gas additive that will remove water and prevent freeze ups. K100 is available locally at Napa, Biobor EB comes from West Marine. Of course, both products are available online as well.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Originally Posted By: Rolla07

And avoid fueling up when you see gas being delivered. That's sure to get any water stirred up.

I agree that gas-line freezing has been less of a problem in recent years. But I still carry a small container of gas-line antifreeze in the winter.

Your pumps don't have water filters?

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Just use the Heet stuff.. it's made specifically to help combat water in fuel. Alcohol is a natural absorber of water.

HEET uses methanol and Iso-HEET uses isopropanol. Both absorb water pretty darn well.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

You still have to watch. Some places even have alarms. Some dodgy independents may not service their filters, and simply not care. Personally, I just try to watch where I fill as much as I can.

Originally Posted By: Garak

You still have to watch. Some places even have alarms. Some dodgy independents may not service their filters, and simply not care. Personally, I just try to watch where I fill as much as I can.

Doesn't the pumping rate just slow down when filters need replacement?

I remember with my backpacking water filter (which filters stuff from the water rather than water from fuel), the manufacturer guaranteed that it still operated within specified efficiency even past the rated life, but might be harder to pump. Mine also had a relief valve where too high pressure would send water out the side rather than through the outlet hose.

If you have E10 and water in the gas your problems are just beginning because once the water phases out there is no way to get it out short of dumping the tank.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If you have E10 and water in the gas your problems are just beginning because once the water phases out there is no way to get it out short of dumping the tank.

The claims are overblown when it comes to modern cars with modern sealed emissions systems. Even with marine use, I've heard that ethanol can be a net plus because it keeps water blended/moving rather than separated from the fuel.

Quote:
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Busting-Ethanol-Fuel-Myths

MYTH: Ethanol-blended fuels are bad and should be avoided.

TRUTH: Ethanol blended fuels (E10) are common throughout much of the United States. After the transition period from non-ethanol fuel, E10 may actually be a superior marine fuel, as it tends to keep low levels of water moving through the fuel system, keeping the system “dry”. For over a decade, marine engines have been engineered to handle E10 gasoline. However, all types of fuels should be treated if they won’t be used in a few weeks.

Doesn't the pumping rate just slow down when filters need replacement?

I'm not sure what the symptoms would be, but there are some retailers here I just wouldn't trust in that regard. Some of the pumps are rather old, with operators who are known to skimp on the maintenance, and underground tanks probably 70 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back