Kashi Kills Their Line of Healthy Granola Bars

Killed by re-formulation and nutritionally dumbing them down.

I think Kashi got acquired by Nabisco or Kraft or . Apparently they are now bowing to their Corporate Masters. They've reformulated three of their granola bars now, down into junk food status as far as content goes. But, they put new graphics on the packaging and a big green swoosh that says "New and Improved." All the nutritional numbers on the side panel of the "New and Improved" recipes have taken a dive. On their Chocolate Chunk and Chia bars in the purple and white box/wrapper the protein content has gone form 6g down to three, sugars are up 33%, and the 160g's of Omega 3 content is now gone. Prior to the change, that recipe of bar was one of my go-to's for healthy snack that would quell any sweet tooth or carb cravings without feeding me junk ingredients and with a decent nutritional profile.

Just back from grocery and noticed Kashi's now also killed their prior awesome Trail Mix bar recipe as well, same scam as the Chia bars mentioned above. They totally ransacked the nutritional profile in favor of more sugar and a less twiggy & natural, and now more chewy, candy bar texture. What a joke. Proves they do not know their market demographic. Kashi eaters buy their products because were are the fitness, hiking, workout crowd who want as natural a product as practical that doesn't load us on sugars and has some protein content.

Those just skim-reading this will likely reply that all snack bars are junk food or some other comment without knowing anything about the way Kashi used to make their bars before they caved to their corporate bean counters. Well, they weren't. They were a valid nutritious choice for something to quell in between meal cravings along with a bottle of water. They were a go-to for me after my lunch break workout which along with a MET-Rx Big 100 meal replacement bar and 16 oz or so of water were a good recovery intake after lifting and/or running.

End of rant on Kashi selling their souls.

Unrelated to the above by brand is The MET-Rx Big 100 bar which remains unfecked with so far, and is a home run for me in the fitness supplement department. Only mrp bar that doesn't cause me stomach discomfort and check out their ingredients they use quality stuff and no soy protein.

Quote:
Ingredients:
Soy Crisps (Soy Protein Isolate, Tapioca Starch, Salt), Corn Syrup, Chocolate Flavored Coating (Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Cocoa Powder, Whey Powder, Nonfat Milk Powder, Soy Lecithin, Natural Vanilla), Almonds, Raisins, METAMYOSYN® V100 Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Dried Egg White, L-Glutamine), Glycerin, Soy Protein Isolate, Natural Flavors, Crystalline Fructose, Salt, Vitamin And Mineral Blend (Ascorbic Acid, D-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Tricalcium Phosphate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Gluconate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Cyanocobalamin), Xanthan Gum, Soy Lecithin, Peanut Flour, Wheat Germ.

Soy protein is their 1st ingredient

https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/met/b...ASABEgJWAfD_BwE

Wrong bar Alfred. I was very clear in my post that it was the Big 100 MRP bar. Here is the one I was referring to:

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Killed by re-formulation and nutritionally dumbing them down.

I think Kashi got acquired by Nabisco or Kraft or . Apparently they are now bowing to their Corporate Masters. They've reformulated three of their granola bars now, down into junk food status as far as content goes. But, they put new graphics on the packaging and a big green swoosh that says "New and Improved." All the nutritional numbers on the side panel of the "New and Improved" recipes have taken a dive. On their Chocolate Chunk and Chia bars in the purple and white box/wrapper the protein content has gone form 6g down to three, sugars are up 33%, and the 160g's of Omega 3 content is now gone. And I think I spotted soy lecithin among the ingredients now-- a classic zero value emulsifier that is the darling of the junk food industry. Prior to the change, that recipe of bar was one of my go-to's for healthy snack that would quell any sweet tooth or carb cravings without feeding me junk ingredients and with a decent nutritional profile.

Just back from grocery and noticed Kashi's now also killed their prior awesome Trail Mix bar recipe as well, same scam as the Chia bars mentioned above. They totally ransacked the nutritional profile in favor of more sugar and a less twiggy & natural, and now more chewy, candy bar texture. What a joke. Proves they do not know their market demographic. Kashi eaters buy their products because were are the fitness, hiking, workout crowd who want as natural a product as practical that doesn't load us on sugars and has some protein content.

Those just skim-reading this will likely reply that all snack bars are junk food or some other comment without knowing anything about the way Kashi used to make their bars before they caved to their corporate bean counters. Well, they weren't. They were a valid nutritious choice for something to quell in between meal cravings along with a bottle of water. They were a go-to for me after my lunch break workout which along with a MET-Rx Big 100 meal replacement bar and 16 oz or so of water were a good recovery intake after lifting and/or running.

End of rant on Kashi selling their souls.

Unrelated to the above by brand is The MET-Rx Big 100 bar which remains unfecked with so far, and is a home run for me in the fitness supplement department. Only mrp bar that doesn't cause me stomach discomfort and check out their ingredients they use quality stuff and no soy protein.

Well that's a bummer! I love my snack bars, but I am not an avid fan of any particular brand. My first encounter with Kashi was one of their cereals around 2001; tasted like cardboard. I actually bit the cardboard and spit it out, then tried the cereal again to verify. LOL

My recent favorite brand of snack bar is the small bars from Sunbelt Bakery. Not the healthiest of options, but compared to a Snickers, MUCH better for you.

I'm a LARA BAR fan. Or My wife MADE me into one.

I always thought KASHI was pseudo-bohemian when I tried their Cereals. Sort of like Group III "synthetic". I believe you when you say their trail mix bar was good. I never tried it myself.

I had a similar disappointment when Cascadian Farms Ancient Grains cereal was reformulated, next, their nut and honey granola has "now more honey". Just what I want when trying to cut out excessive sugar at breakfast!

Back to Post Great Grains Pecan for now.

Was it any better before?
I find an apple is a handy portable snack, and if I want some protein I bring some almonds or a pepperoni stick.

"I think Kashi got acquired by Nabisco or Kraft"

That's all you have to read. The big companies just don't want to compete -- they couldn't care less about preserving what makes something healthy or worth eating, even if their massive buying power means they can manufacture it for cheaper! (while selling it at the original producer's price, netting a large profit)

Everything that the big corps buy just turns into a cosmetically different version of the same worthless gruel that they've already been selling for decades. Their goal is to make you crave their cheap products that don't require any ingenuity to create.

*Edit - they got acquired by Kellogg (who was started by John Kellogg the 7th day adventist who is responsible for us eating grains for breakfast instead of protein link for more info )

Last edited:
Ever time a corporation buys out a small company they always destroy the original products by changing and cheapening the formulas.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
"I think Kashi got acquired by Nabisco or Kraft"

That's all you have to read. The big companies just don't want to compete -- they couldn't care less about preserving what makes something healthy or worth eating, even if their massive buying power means they can manufacture it for cheaper! (while selling it at the original producer's price, netting a large profit)

Everything that the big corps buy just turns into a cosmetically different version of the same worthless gruel that they've already been selling for decades. Their goal is to make you crave their cheap products that don't require any ingenuity to create.

*Edit - they got acquired by Kellogg (who was started by John Kellogg the 7th day adventist who is responsible for us eating grains for breakfast instead of protein link for more info )

I'd like to think Kellogg would preserve a health-based company like Kashi... but the almighty dollar rules all!

Kashi was acquired by Kellogg's over 15 years ago. I've never really thought of them as a health food brand...at least for the kind of health food products that I buy. Kashi is now headquartered in Battle Creek along with Kellogg's so you can make your own assessments.

I think the market saturation is very deep in the nutrition bar segment to begin with, so altering or eliminating products in that segment could be economics including raw material costs, production costs, or just too many products that don't sell well. You've gotta feel that Kellogg's is probably done with their Kashi TV commercials that have the buyer going into the jungle to source the cacao or whatever. I think they're just a full on Corporate brand now and have been for the last few years.

There are recipes out there for making your own.......Since these things can be stored-one can make a large batch and have plenty for later use.

Last edited:
Sucks. But greed is good. Appeasing the shareholders (which may well be your retirement, op) comes first. That's creating "value" at any cost.

One goes, hopefully one sees opportunity and creates something new.

I remember reading a Consumers Report article about various health bars and was surprised that the Kashi ones ranked towards the bottom in nutrition and taste. So never seriously considered them.

I don't really like the MET-Rx bar either because of all the calories it contains. Looks like 360 calories which is more than a snack and closer to a MEAL. Many health bars are around the 200 calorie mark. Carbs in the Met-rx are 50. Which again is the amount of carbs you should have in a full meal. Sugars are 25 grams. A small packet of sugar contains 4 grams of sugar so that bar has what is equal to 6 packets of sugar in it. No thanks.

The Quest bars are good but not cheap. About $2.50/bar last time I checked. Sometimes a little less on sale or buying in bulk/box.

These things are supplements and best source of protein/nutrition are from the natural source. Broccoli is loaded with protein, vitamins etc....

Let's be realistic. Most pre-packaged foods, especially "health" bars aren't exactly "healthy" foods. Sure, they're better than eating a snickers bar. I shy away from all that stuff for the most part.

My go to health snack to carry with me on the road or for a mid-day pick me up:

20-25 raw whole almonds/walnuts, 3 organic dried figs, 1-2 oz of Ghiradelli's 60% cacao choc. drops...and a little raw coconut if you want to go decadent.

The cost is not prohibitive and you minimize the processing and chemicals. You can add 3-6 oz of a protein drink/powder to boost it into a mini-meal. I often used organic soy milk. Tons of fiber, sticks to your ribs, and fills you up with the right kind of protein, fats and carbs. Many times on the run, this was a meal, rather than stopping at fast food Burger Joints.

I buy all that stuff in semi-bulk. 3 lb bags of almonds/walnuts/choc drops at BJ's Food Club. The dried figs from the local health food store came out of California I believe (Calif golden figs or Sierra) and run about $25-$30 for a 5 lb. box. We'd go through a box of figs every 6-8 weeks. I'd put the cost of that snack around $1. Sometimes added a half banana or some granola. Most of the granola out there is heavily sugared. About the lowest sugar content is Bob's Red Mill Honey Almond Granola ($3.69 per lb). For breakfast, I normally cook my own steel cut groats (1.99/lb and no sugar....add flax meal, pea protein, raisins, cinnamon, banana, 100% unsweetened cacoa powder, soy milk.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Well if it was Nabisco you can bet that they'll be moving it to Mexico pretty soon!

Oreos are now made in Mexico, they closed the plant near Chicago.

Back