Winchester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was inquiring into Winchester because I certainly been seeing less and less of them new on the shelves.
I guess Winchester split from Olin so are not even associated with the ammunition that has their name.
They now make their guns about everywhere but here in the United States.
Portugal, Belgium, Spain, Turkey and now even in Japan with the reinduction of the model 1894 Lever action.
Shame. I always loved my Winchester shotguns. Have a few Winchester rifles although always preferred Remington rifles, who also went to pot with thier line of "Cheap" guns.
Shame another American gun icon now nothing but a import gun maker selling on thier name.

Last edited:
To be fair, the Portugal, Spain, Japan, and Belgium stuff is superb, with better quality control and fit and finish that ANYTHING by Ruger or Colt.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
To be fair, the Portugal, Spain, Japan, and Belgium stuff is superb, with better quality control and fit and finish that ANYTHING by Ruger or Colt.

Agreed. OP, dig a little deeper and you will be pleasantly surprised that the newest Winchester rifles are the best they have ever been.

Everyone has to understand we live in a global economy. I like seeing "Made In U.S.A." as much as the next guy but it is increasingly harder to find and not necessarily "the best".

The Japanese Winchester lever action rifles are excellent. Still sad they don't make them here.

I am curious to see the Japanese Winchester's.
I know Browning's are made in Japan and wood and blueing is absolutely beautiful.
Winchester's aren't making to the stores though. Hardly see them on the shelves. Which is giving their share up to Savage, Mossberg and Remington. Why buy a Turkish Winchester when you can buy a no name Turkish gun for $200 less. I feel like Winchester may have just jumped into a market with import competition.

Remington did this a while back with their "799" Zastava manufactured "Mini Mauser" bolt actions. They were manufactured in the Czech Republic by Zastava, with the Remington name roll marked on them. They weren't a bad little 7.62 X 39 MM bolt action. And were cheaper than the CZ 527 in the same caliber.

Winchester site claims it disowns any ammunition questions. It clearly states that Winchester and Olin split up. Olin probably pays a royalty to use Winchester name. Makes it clear though, they split.

I would have no qualms about a Japanese made rifle. All the ones I have seen under any name have been superb
smile.gif

Winchester guns is pretty much like Browning. You will see most Winchester guns are made actually in the same facilities as Browning guns.

Yeah they don't make their own stuff...but that never stopped Brownings from being awesome. I know I sure miss my Belgian and Japanese made Auto 5's (Stolen years ago)

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I wouldn't mind finding a US made 1300, but that's about it.

There's always Henry for rifles.

Get a 1200 or even 120. I have both and I like the 1200 much better.
Henry also makes a fine rifle which has been discovered hence tge extreme price jump. They almost doubled.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Herstal Group licenses the Winchester name from Olin but owns Winchester Repeating Arms. Olin still owns the Winchester trademark.

FN did made the last of the Model 70 rifles that were made in USA in South Carolina. Now made over seas I believe.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Remington did this a while back with their "799" Zastava manufactured "Mini Mauser" bolt actions. They were manufactured in the Czech Republic by Zastava, with the Remington name roll marked on them. They weren't a bad little 7.62 X 39 MM bolt action. And were cheaper than the CZ 527 in the same caliber.

Good little shooter and deer gun for 100 yards or less. Definitely a keeper.

Germany’s economy thrives because they realize “Domestic” manufacturing matters fist and foremost. Don’t be fooled by the Global bait & switch. Its a sales pitch not a sound economic policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back