4.6 oil pan gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone changed an oil pan gasket in a Ford 4.6? My Mustang is leaking and should be changed out. There sure isn't much room between the oil pan and the K member. I'm not sure if I can drop the pan enough to get the new gasket back in and under the oil pump. Doesn't look like much fun.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
Doesn't look like much fun.

For normal people it's not. You gotta be a nut to enjoy stuff like that.
smile.gif

Best bet on a mustang is to drop the k-member and raise up the engine a bit. It's still a really tight fit.

Drop the K-Member, The hardest part is compressing the coil springs.
Some mechanics just lower the K-Member....I don't, I completely remove it & pressure wash it real good. (cap the rack & pinion oil ports!)

You will need a engine holding fixture to suspend the engine while the K-Member is out....I built one that works on SN95 Mustangs & 4th gen F-Bodies.

-New teflon seals for the power steering hoses.
-Check the lower control arm bushings & rack & pinion bushings.
-I recommend changing the Oil Filter/Oil Cooler gasket while the K-Member is out.
-Need an alignment any time the K-Member is removed.

It may or may not be high on your list of things to worry about, but there are very nice aftkermarket K-members available. I prefer the Maximum Motorsports one, but I have dealt with the employees there a few times in person and they are great people. Griggs is very nice as well. The only downside is you have to convert to coilovers if you don't already have them. There is one company that makes a K-Member that you can use the stock location coils, the name escapes me but when I think of it at 3AM I will post it.

I want to keep it stock. I have lots of toys and only want to put so much money into the Mustang. I just parked it yesterday for winter. I was going to order to front struts, lower control arms with ball joints, and figure out a plan with the leaking oil pan.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I prefer to pull the engine. That way you can flip it over and put it together without fighting the gasket that keeps falling out of place.

Have you ever changed the oil pan gasket on a Modular Ford? It's one piece & flat.

I don't want to [censored] on someones practices because like I stated....I pull the K-Member instead of lowering it like the service manual states. Removing the engine on this car is ridiculous for just a pan gasket.

Fel-Pro makes those snazzy studs that hold a gasket in place while you slide the pan up and get some bolts started. The pan gasket for my 95 5.0 came with them so I am sure there are metric ones also.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Generally you can do it one of two ways. You either pull the engine or drop the K-member, the choice is yours and yours alone.

Or clean it up and trade it in.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Generally you can do it one of two ways. You either pull the engine or drop the K-member, the choice is yours and yours alone.

Or clean it up and trade it in.

A 2002 New Edge isn't worth much. To me, it's one of the best cars ever because they go pretty fast and are very reliable. Sort of like a little version of the Crown Vic.

I love my Mustang. In this day in age it isn't fast but its cool. I skipped high school in 1994 to see the new SN95 being launched at the local Ford dealer. I even told my teacher I won't be in your class tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back